Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

'Tape Recorder 3 is Death (Ludovician)' by Matthew K. Grundy Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:45:40 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

I'm blown away by this ludovician image by Matthew Grundy over at www.diecastdesign.com

Detail:

Image blurb from Matthew Grundy's website:
"Just finished off a piece of personal work. Entitled 'Tape Recorder 3 is Death (Ludovician)', it was inspired by the 'conceptual shark' from Steven Hall's novel 'the Raw Shark Texts'. While the shark is represented as being fromed from text in the book, I always visualized it as more than that, being made out of fractured ideas pulled together and driven forward by some deadly intent. The piece also draws influences from William S.Burroughs book 'Electronic Revolution' with deals with ideas of language and concepts as viral entities."

If we get a shark half as good as Matthew's in the movie, I'll be one happy novelist.

Steven

(these images are reproduced with Matthew Grundy's permission - please ask him if you'd like to repost!)

CpVb006
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:10:49 AM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

That's pretty crazy.

I'm sort of jaded to a lot of computer-based art (for lack of a better word) anymore, but I actually like these a bit. I think his interpretation of the presence of the Ludovician is pretty close to my own understanding of it. I think that on the printed page, manipulated text containing bits and pieces of phrases was the best way to convey the constant jumble of memories and feelings that comprise the "body" of the fish. With a more visual medium, you're a bit more free to take the visual Ludovician further. If the characters are literally seeing (with their eyes, as opposed to seeing/sensing with their minds) anything, I think it would look pretty damn close to this.

Like you said, hopefully those involved with the film can do the same.

Again, great work, and thanks for sharing. Maybe once the Raw Shark Texts, Mk. II site is finished there could be some sort of official gallery for exceptional fan work. There seems to be a lot of good stuff floating around.
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:19:07 AM

CpVb006 wrote:
Again, great work, and thanks for sharing. Maybe once the Raw Shark Texts, Mk. II site is finished there could be some sort of official gallery for exceptional fan work. There seems to be a lot of good stuff floating around.

That's a good idea. We might merge eveything into a 'gallery' thread here, as this forum, rather than the parent site, seems to be becoming the first port of call for people.
heartbreak
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:20:15 PM

Excellent!
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:30:43 AM

You can now by canvas prints of Matthew's shark here

S
benedict
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:41:48 AM