Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

About The Raw Shark Texts Title Options
Soni
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:30:29 AM

Groups: Shoal

Has anyone found the origin of the pun "The Raw Shark Texts"? I heard it has been mentioned somewhere before this novel but I can't find it anywhere. Or is it just some kind of cultural thing – that all English speakers know it?
damienmarc
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 10:21:25 PM

As far as I am aware the title is a play on Rorschach Test, which psychological test in which participants' perceptions of inkblots are recorded and then analysed. This is because the book itself is like a Rorschach Test in that it the reader can make their own judgement about it (did everything really happen the way Eric Sanderson experienced it, or was it some sort of delusion brought on by a mental disorder like Dr Randle thinks).

Another link between the book and a Rorschach Test is that the inkblots in the test are symmetrical and symmetry occurs heavily in the book (The First Eric Sanderson / Eric Sanderson, Clio Aames / Scout, Clio's cancer / Scout's Mycroft data, etc).
Soni
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:58:31 AM

Yes, I am aware of the play on Rorschach Test, but my point was who made it up? Did Hall come up with it or has it been mentioned somewhere before?