Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Paul Auster Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 5:26:05 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

I love Paul Auster's final response in this little interview. The connection between memory and imagination (and reading) has always fascinated me.

There's also a brand new interview with Mr Auster on the Granta magazine website here

And, last but not least, a link to the long-running Paul Auster Forum

S

Broken_Drum
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:59:58 PM

Groups: Shoal

Thanks for that, Steven. The Granta video is especially great - Invisible promises to be good.

As you can probably tell from the "What are you reading?" thread I've become more interested with Auster recently (even though I've only read two of his works: The New York Trilogy and The Book of Illusions). Could you recommend anything of his I should read next? Thanks.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:15:32 AM

Broken_Drum wrote:
Thanks for that, Steven. The Granta video is especially great - Invisible promises to be good.

As you can probably tell from the "What are you reading?" thread I've become more interested with Auster recently (even though I've only read two of his works: The New York Trilogy and The Book of Illusions). Could you recommend anything of his I should read next? Thanks.

The Invention of Solitude is really interesting, as is The red Notebook.
I really enjoyed In The Country of Last Things, although it's quite different to The New York Trilogy that came before it. I like Leviathan a lot too. It has features a character based on artist Sophie Calle (who has her own thread here!) and Auster and Calle worked together on a few projects as a result of that book. I saw a Calle exhibition based on the art of the character based on her in Leviathan - it's well worth checking out all the stuff from that collaboration.

Hope this helps!

S
Broken_Drum
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:56:16 PM

It helps greatly, thanks. I think I'll pick up The Red Notebook and Leviathan next.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:35:47 AM

I've decided that i'm going to read every Auster novel in the order they were written. I have a list in my locker of each book plus its ISBN for easy access, and i'll be ordering them one by one. In the Country of Last Things should be arriving soon :)
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:42:03 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
I've decided that i'm going to read every Auster novel in the order they were written. I have a list in my locker of each book plus its ISBN for easy access, and i'll be ordering them one by one. In the Country of Last Things should be arriving soon :)

Wow, keep us posted on how you get on...

S
timlarsson
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:59:30 PM

MiaVRO wrote:

I also wanted to do that... I'll order the New York trilogy as soon as i've read TRST. Is the english language used in any special way... with double meanings and connections (there are several translated books and I wonder if it matters much... e.g. harry potter can be read in any language... house of leaves should be read in english).

cheers!
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:35:07 PM

Finally got my copy of In the Country of Last Things. Finished it last night (in one sitting... Proud of that)
The novel was kind of dense, so i was suprised i could plow through it so quickly. But, i have to say, every time a page ended, i was anticipating the next. I really really really really enjoyed it.

Again, Auster does the nifty reference-other-books-in-this-one thing, with Quinn briefly making an appearance :) (i squealed when i read his name... yes.)

The world Auster creates in this book is frightening. Once i finished, i still had the fleeting feeling that the world was as he described it. I remember i got up to grab a hair elastic, couldn't find one, and thought to myself "Who am i kidding? There isn't even enough food live off of, nevermind a hair elastic." Then, of course, i remembered i was not in the book anymore, and ended up finding an elastic (sorry for that ramble..) But, the point is, I still felt the echoes of the book after I had finished it. After the cover was closed.

Favourite quote:
"The rain makes no distinctions. At one time or another, it falls on everyone, and when it falls, everyone is equal to eveyrone else - no one better, no one worse, everyone equal and the same."

(and there was one more, but i can't find it right now.)

But, i do love the quote on the back, by Washington Post Book World:
"...One of the better modern attempts at describing hell."

This is a book I will not be able to shake. Ever.
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:51:35 AM

So, apparently In the Country of Last Things is becoming a movie, too!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483648/
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:01:03 PM

Also, when i watched the movie One Week not too long ago, there was a trailer for the movie Act of God, in which Paul Auster narrates
Preview Here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/actofgod/
I read that Auster was chosen partly because he witnessed a friend being killed by a lightening strike when he was fourteen.

And last night i watched the movie Smoke, written by Paul Auster. It was split up by character, but still presented the story as a whole. There were also a lot of stories within the movie. Not like secondary plots, but there were a lot of stories that were told which i really enjoyed
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:49:27 AM

Hey Mia,

Thanks for the detective work here! I also grinned when Quinn (sort of) turned up In the Country of Last Things. I take so much inspiration from the way Auster does things (as Hula Hoop may well show...), the man is a genius.

I haven't seen Smoke yet, think I will have to find a copy soon.

S
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:03:38 AM

I met Paul Auster the other night : )