Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What is "Book 2"? Options
Williaminseattle
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:32:49 PM

Groups: Shoal

Greetings...

I got so excited when I saw "Book 2" in "Jump to forum" menu.

I poked around and was not able to discover what Book 2 refers to.

Also, at the risk of sounding like I am unwilling to take the time to arduously search the internet with its overwhelmingly disproportionate signal to noise ratio to find suggested readings and film works...Is there a list of things somewhere, that might interest me given my love of The Raw Shark Texts???

Peace Love Joy
William
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:30:25 AM

Book 2 is, simply enough, the next book Steven writes.
He has posted a few hints and clues about what it might be about, or something, with biblical pictures, a circle cipher leading to a bible page, and some stuff.

As for your second question, this forum is the place :) Look in the thread: "Useful threads for new users..." located here: http://forums.steven-hall.org/yaf_postst162_Useful-threads-for-new-users.aspx
Here you have a lot of fun... and also, look around all of this forum.
There are a lot of information regarding negatives, ideas, thoughts, interpretations and stuff... and do ask questions! We're not elitists who scream "search!!!" if it's something that's been asked before, we're nice and open and happy ;)
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:50:03 AM

Yeah, we're nice here! : )
Questions are encouraged, without them, we'd be nowhere!
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:21:23 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Yep - what these good chaps said!

Steven
timlarsson
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:39:18 PM

Hmm, It feels way too quiet and lonely here... So what have people been up to lately?
heartbreak
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:49:43 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

timlarsson wrote:
So what have people been up to lately?

Mostly school. Circuits, fluid mechanics, relativity, engineering economics and artificial intelligence. Oh, and I also fixed a leaking pipe in the house on Sunday. How about you?
timlarsson
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:35:30 PM

Mostly school. Cleaning up amongst the courses (exams) I haven't passed yet. I've read them, understood it, but failed the actual exam at the end.
Control theory, Mathematics ground course, and mathematical statistics, then after october it's Linear algebra, vector calculus and physics :/ Guess which subjects I find difficult.

Oh, and while all that is going on, I have to struggle to get points to get money (Yeah, we get money in Sweden for studying). And trying to keep my girlfriend happy, while studying and helping her study. And work at home (with homepages, huge inkjet printers, vinyl decals and stuff).
And read some Murakami.

I hope nothing got water damaged from that leaking pipe!
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:30:53 PM

Again, mostly school. Though, nothing related to math.... Yuck.
Life writing, history of the english language, American civil war and reconstruction, the poetry of TS Eliot, History of Latin America...
(as you can probably guess, i'm doing a double major of History and English)
And in the meantime, i'm attempting to deal with my housemates, buying textbooks (which i don't have enough money for!!), paying back extremely large phone bills (thanks, long distance calling! Boyfriend, why must you live so far?!) and catching up with people during the first few weeks back.
I still check this site pretty much every day though!
Hope you're all well.
heartbreak
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:17:06 PM

No major damage. Had to cut out a section of drywall and take out some insulation. The fix itself was pretty easy.
benedict
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:53:15 PM

timlarsson wrote:
So what have people been up to lately?

Work. Footie. 1q84. and patiently waiting.
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:09:18 PM

I almost wish I had studied something other than what I do. Every advanced course in computer graphics, visual effects, networking and more has been easy, and I'd love to do courses in History and Languages. But the basic courses in math... I understand it all, and I can (obviously) apply it in the advanced courses, but the exams = Me turning in to the next Eric Sanderson. My mind is blank.
Oh, and I got two classmates who just got finished, did their master thesises at Digital Domain and Dreamworks... and got hired right away. Sucks even more to be behind now, haha.

I am too checking out this page every day, and I'm sure many are, considering the responses ^^

benedict: What do you think of 1q84? I've had it for months, and I just can't get through it. I do think it is because of the translator, because it's a different one from the other ones I've read, and she uses really wierd words sometimes. Like using the Japanese way of writing names in English, but somehow does it wrong (unless Murakami wanted it intentionally).
For example: Tokyo is Tokyo in Swedish as well. In japanese it's Toukyou (東京 (とうきょう)). Somehow, this translator writes "Toukyuu" (等級) which means magnitude... And over all, the style of the writing is WAY different from the previous books, which I would guess is caused by the translators.

I'm glad it was nothing major hearbreak. Quite fortunate that drywall is pretty easy to work with then.
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:30:34 PM

1Q84 isn't released yet in Canada... I don't know about North America. I think it's being released in October in one volume. I wish I could buy it right away and read it though, but alas, academic readings take up my time. However, I am reading David Foster Wallace for a class!! Impressive? I think so!!!
It's really interesting though, timlarsson, what you mentioned about the translator. That's something that's always drawn me to Murakami books, are the fluidity of the writing, even in English after it's been translated.
I guess we'll see!
timlarsson
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 9:02:08 AM

I think I've heard something about Volume 1 and 2 being sold as one volume, and the third as volume 2... And that they will release the two at the same time. Here in Sweden they released 1 and 2 separately this spring, and the third coming now this autumn.
Yes, the same goes for me, MiaVRO; The fluidity has always made it easy to read, to really get drawn into it all. To me, it feels like the book's train of thoughts becomes my own.
Now, the previous translators were a Japanese couple (man and wife) who in my eyes made an excellent work. Now it's a Swedish lady knowing Japanese, and it really feels like she's trying too hard. It doesn't come natural. Maybe it's just me though, I will have to try again to see if it is better in a while.

Oh, that David Foster Wallace book "infinite jest" looks interesting... I'll have to check it out some day! What work of his are you reading?
timlarsson
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 9:17:18 AM

Just a little bump:

It has come to my attention that the previous translators was mother and daughter, not man and wife.
Also, I've read a few book blogs and reviews, and almost everyone complains about the translators work. Many call it sloppy, hasty, wrong, choppy etc. And people are also refering to her other translation works, which they all think are disasters. That's very unfortunate, I think.
benedict
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59:26 PM

1q84 is being released in one volume in the US and two volumes (Books 1 & 2; Book 3) in the UK. Books 1 & 2 are translated by Jay Rubin and Book 3 by Philip Gabriel, two of the most experienced Murakami translators.

The English translation is probably better than the Swedish one, so you may want try the English version. I've only just started Book 1, and so far I'm really enjoying it.

Also just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline which was a fantastic read, esepcially if you are familiar with 80's pop culture and games.
timlarsson
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:10:25 PM

Oh is that how they are released? One thing I find odd is that book 1 and 2 are translated by one guy, and the third by another. I'd like it better if it's the same person translating it all, even if both are good, just to get the consistency and same flow. I so wish they could've gone with a re-translation here in Sweden.
I'll try reading it again, looking past the actual words and try to see the underlying story instead.