Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Favorite quotes? Options
squint
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 7:47:53 AM
Groups: Shoal

One of the things I loved about this book is that there were so many good quotes that really stuck with me after I read them. Here are some of my favorite ones:

"It's a stark thought that when we die most of us will leave behind uneaten biscuits, unused coffee, half toilet rolls, half cartons of milk in the fridge to go sour; that everyday functional things will outlive us and prove that we weren't ready to go; that we weren't smart or knowing or heroic; that we were just animals whose animal bodies stopped working without any sort of schedule or any consent from us."

"Geniuses don't go mad. That's what people don't understand. They get so far out that the water is like glass and they can see for miles and they see so much, and in ways people have never seen before. They go out over such depths, down down down and down, and some of them get taken. Something rushes up out of their thoughts, from the insides of their own heads and through the act of looking and the thinking itself- because the deep blue is in there too, you understand? And it takes them."

"It isn't just the past we remember, it's the future too. Fifty per cent of memory is devoted not to what has already happened, but to what will happen next. Appointments, anniversaries, meetings, all the rolling engagements and plans, all the hopes and dreams and ambitions which make up any human life- we remember what we did and also what we will do. Only the knife edge of the present is 'hard' to any degree. Past and future are things of the mind, and a mind can be changed." That one's my favorite.

"The view becomes the reflection, and the reflection, the view."

"There's no way to really preserve a person when they've gone and that's because whatever you write down it's not the truth, it's just a story. Stories are all we're ever left with in our head or on paper: clever narratives put together from selected facts, legends, well edited tall tales with us in the starring roles."

"At least half the things we look at through glass every day are not really there, or they are really there but only from a certain point of view, only from a certain way of seeing that we’ve all bought into, all bought tickets for."

If you guys have any other quotes you liked, share! ^^
Random Hero
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2008 8:24:52 PM

I really liked the quote:

"Time is always running out. Life's much too uncertain to leave important things unsaid."

More people need to actually live like this.
schoonie23
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:17:03 PM

"Every single cell in the human body replaces itself over a period of seven years. That means there's not even the smallest part of you now that was part of you seven years ago...

Yesterday's here is not today's here. Yesterday's here is somewhere in Russia, in a wilderness in Canada, a deep blue nowhere out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It's behind the sun, it's in the deep space, hundreds of thousands, millions of miles left behind.

We can never wake up in the same place we went to sleep in."

there's another one I liked a lot too but I'll have to look through the book for it
sloth
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:50:52 PM

what page is this quote on??
"Geniuses don't go mad. That's what people don't understand. They get so far out that the water is like glass and they can see for miles and they see so much, and in ways people have never seen before. They go out over such depths, down down down and down, and some of them get taken. Something rushes up out of their thoughts, from the insides of their own heads and through the act of looking and the thinking itself- because the deep blue is in there too, you understand? And it takes them."
Broken_Drum
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:31:15 PM

sloth wrote:
what page is this quote on??
Page 142.

I really like the first quote mentioned too ("It's a stark thought that when we die most of us will leave behind uneaten biscuits, unused coffee, half toilet rolls, half cartons of milk in the fridge to go sour; that everyday functional things will outlive us and prove that we weren't ready to go; that we weren't smart or knowing or heroic; that we were just animals whose animal bodies stopped working without any sort of schedule or any consent from us."). It reminds me of a quote in Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami:

"I located a Schick razor and a can of Gillette Lemon-Lime Foamy with a dry sputter of white around the nozzle. Death leaves cans of shaving cream half-used."

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
sloth
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:30:35 AM

btw this thread needs more replies!!!
i'm going to go through my book and type out all my underlined quotes some time to put in this thread :)
damienmarc
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 11:14:45 PM

"My heart was deep space and my head was maths".

Beautiful.
jimmy007
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:27:46 PM

1. "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

2. "Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend"

3. "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof"

these are my favorite qutotes.