joecable
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:50:27 PM
Groups: Shoal

Needs to be metioned:
--1. "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester
--2. "Pale Fire" by Vladimir Nabokov
--3. "I Am A Strange Loop" by Douglas Hofstadter
--4. "infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace

--the last is some SERIOUS heavy lifting for your brain. and after.....

--5. "Illuminatus!" by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea
--6. "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by D. Hofstadter
joecable
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:04:07 PM

oh, yeah......and ANYTHING by Philip K Dick, THE MAN.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:19:12 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

The Prestige

One of my new favorite films.

S
Chimerical
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:42:10 PM

joecable wrote:
oh, yeah......and ANYTHING by Philip K Dick, THE MAN.

I enjoyed "Time out of Join" by Dick. I have tried "Valis" and I failed to understand it. (and i thought TRST was confusing) I also began the book Blade Runner was based on but I can't get into it. :(
tornadoallie
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:02:02 PM

The show Lost is AMAZING. And I love love love both of Carroll's Alice books, as wel as House of Leaves, so I was happy to see those on the list. Another book I recently read that I think readers of TRST would enjoy is The Time-Traveler's Wife. It was just made into a movie which was good, but the book was so much better.

Also for those in the UK who want the see the aforementioned SNL "Land Shark" skit, here's a link: http://www.spike.com/video/land-shark/2802070

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
the_cursor
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 11:14:46 AM

I'm glad this thread exists. Any more recommendations for books? I've had a very hard time finding anything since TRST for various and obvious reasons.
Especially interested in really immersive, visceral reads the way TRST was.

Also in the video department - a TV mini-series a friend introduced to me: The Lost Room... I enjoyed it for similar reasons. I think it's 4 parts and had the right balance of weird and mystery and just enough tangibility to make it enjoyable.
santonio
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:39:28 AM

The "Griffin and Sabine" trilogy by Nick Bantock and its sequel trilogy "The Morning Star"
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 1:16:08 AM

I'm not sure if this actually belongs here, but I'll go on ahead.
As I think I mentioned before, I work with children's books, and I stumbled up on this alphabet book called "Alphabeasties"
It's got a really cool typography-art concept thing going on, where each letter is an animal, and each animal is made out of the letter!
Take a look at some pictures here.
I'm really glad that one fell in my lap!
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 6:36:21 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

MiaVRO wrote:
I'm not sure if this actually belongs here, but I'll go on ahead.
As I think I mentioned before, I work with children's books, and I stumbled up on this alphabet book called "Alphabeasties"
It's got a really cool typography-art concept thing going on, where each letter is an animal, and each animal is made out of the letter!
Take a look at some pictures here.
I'm really glad that one fell in my lap!

Nice find Mia!

S
Jules
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 3:28:27 PM

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but I think if you liked The Raw Shark Texts, you'd also like:-

House Of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

Jules
GdaT
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:11:24 PM

I'm really just looking for a book that goes in depth about the normal little things in everyday life like the first few chapters of RST did. The little philosophical inputs, and they way a new perspective and insight is given into the little details we often just sort of take for granted. I want something like that to read again. I'm also into great environment descriptions.
Dola
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:52:30 AM

Try:
Riva Galchen's "Atmospheric Disturbances"
William Gibson's Spook Country and Pattern Recognition - the Bigend Series (also, a new one out soon?)
Murakami! Yes. I always mention TRST along with Murakami and Danielewski's House of Leaves
Gabriel Garcia Marquez' 100 Years of Solitude (a must read)

lie_s
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:09:29 PM

Broken_Drum
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:49:56 PM

GdaT wrote:
I'm really just looking for a book that goes in depth about the normal little things in everyday life like the first few chapters of RST did. The little philosophical inputs, and they way a new perspective and insight is given into the little details we often just sort of take for granted. I want something like that to read again. I'm also into great environment descriptions.
Try Mr. Palomar by Italo Calvino. It might not be written in the same style as RST but it features some of the same everyday philosophical musings. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami is another to read in all its profound mundaneness. As for environmental descriptions try Blood Meridian or The Road by Cormac McCarthy, the landscape plays a big part in both novels (and most of McCarthy's work to be honest). Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino too - the book describes a multitude of imaginary cities. I really can't recommend the last one enough, probably my favourite book of all time.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Stephen Dedalus
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 2:14:52 AM

These were my mental connections during the re-reading of the novel (the first time I was only fifteen):

- about novels, of course "Neuromancer" by William Gibson, because of the computer issues and for the lyrical use of language applied to a sci-fi plot;
- about films, Stevens'work was advertised as a sort of "Matrix";
- about phylosophy, I thought to Jacques Derrida, for the linguistic and ontological issues brought about Raw Shark Texts.

I'm glad to know that Italo Calvino is so much appreciate. :) What about Umberto Eco? I'm not talking about his phylosophical speculation; he is very near to Jorge Luis Borges - epigraphe of Raw Shark Texts.

Sorry for bad english,
Riccardo
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:07:22 PM

GdaT wrote:

I know this is wildly out of date, but this brings to mind Roland Barthes Mythologies