Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Negatives (merged threads) Options
Jtelroy2
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:18:09 AM
Groups: Shoal

Hello all!

I'm new to this, but I've skimmed the thread, and I'm ready to join the negative hunt!

Figured I'd introduce myself first though...

Note:
I'm having trouble figuring out the Aquarium Fragment

can someone give me a nudge in the right direction?
Nikejerk
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 8:06:51 PM

Does anyone have the Aquarium Fragment they can email me? I can't seem to be able to figure out the puzzle at rawshark.ca.

Anyone want to help me out? I would really appreciate it. I can't get enough.

my email - jared@finishedart.com

Thanks!!!
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 8:22:49 PM

is rawshark.ca up and working? I can't get it to work. But if you need help with the puzzle, just PM me and I can give you a hint/the answer :P
Nikejerk
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:22:32 PM

AWESOME!!!!! Just read the Aquarium Fragment. What an awesome prologue. I think it is so much better to start the book the way it does without the Aquarium Fragment and then reading it after you've already finished the book. It still acts as a prologue but I found it to be more moving knowing that this scene took place and then actually reading it. LOVE IT!.

Thank you for fixing the site.
UNderstanding Concept
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:27:22 PM

So TRST has been translated into something like thirty languages, or so I have read. Which of these has been confirmed either to contain or not to contain Negatives. Are there still other versions left unchecked?
Saeglopur
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:27:57 PM

Hey guys I'm brand new here but I've read TRST twice now cover to cover in one day both times :D

I am absolutely entranced by this book, it's completely unlike anything I've ever read. It transcends the bounds of literature and convention. But enough about that.

I think I made a discovery.

When you go to http://steven-hall.org , you get the fish picture, and you can navigate to the "Links" page. The page that opens, however, appears at first glance to be blank.

I found this interesting. So I got curious, and took a look at the page source (you can do this in Firefox by right-clicking and selecting "view source."

I got the usual jumble of code, and also something VERRRY interesting. Mixed in with the mumbo-jumbo html code, there's an inserted comment, something that doesn't show up on the actual page. I have pasted it below:

</title><meta name="lkj" content="So you found the interesting characters on the site but now they are gone... where can they be? We control the horizontal. We control the vertical. ;) - WFC w/; lkj" /><meta name="author" content="Steven Hall"

No clue what it means, but i found it interesting. Any ideas??

Update: just went and checked the source code for some other pages on the steven-hall.org site. There are some interesting anomalies that I haven't been able to figure out. For example, on his biography page, there's a whole bunch of code that references something called "fosecret":

<script type='text/javascript' >var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret;function initctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret(attempt){try{ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret=new Flyout2('ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret','ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_lblSecret','','ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecret_content','BOTTOM_CENTER','MIDDLE','ONMOUSEOVER','ONMOUSEOUT',200,200,200,10,0,0,100,0,true,true,false,'#DDDDDD',25);if (ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret.removeOCB!=null){ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret.registerOpenEffect(new FlyingEffect('MIDDLE_CENTER'));ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret.registerCloseEffect(new FlyingEffect('MIDDLE_CENTER'));}}catch(e){alert("Failed to initialize [foSecret] \n.Error:"+ e+ "\nPlease contact support@obout.com for support.");}}oldctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecretload = window.onload;window.onload=function(evt){if (oldctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecretload!=null) oldctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecretload();initctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_foSecretlblSecret(0);};</script> </form>

Anybody with html knowledge know what this is about?

Update: another breakthrough. Go to the Steven Hall website's welcome page (http://steven-hall.org/welcome/) and click on the word "deleted", right between the first 'e' and the 'l' in the second paragraph. You should get a tan box that pops out, with gibbrish text, pasted below:

w;leq;e e qwelqj lekj l;ekj ;kqle lkqwjelqkwj elkqwj elkq elk qwlk eqwlk e;lqk e;lk ql;ekj qwlkej qwlk eqwlk elk qel kqwlk we

qwkejqekljqwlkejwqlkejql ke;jq;lkejqwk ;lejqwl;kejqlkjeklqwje;lkqwjeqlk lel qe qwlk jeqlwk e;k qwel;k qwk qwlk jelwqk

Don't know why that's there or what it means, but it was definitely deliberately hidden. I wouldn't have found it without going into the source code.

I know this sounds weird, but try it for yourself. And be amazed. Or at least confused.

This is definitely a deliberate insertion, especially given the seemingly-simplistic design of his website. I keep half expecting to click somewhere and a flash or java movie will play and the shark will swim out of the text at me :D

Anyway, I'll keep looking. And again, anybody with HTML knowledge who wants to put in their two cents would be helpful and appreciated.

Update: i think the flyout code refers to the animation of the shark that is found in the "work" page of the steven-hall.org site. It would make sense. But that's just a guess.

MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:44:32 PM

I'm so glad someone's been looking into this. It's been bothering me for ages.
There's more about it, though only speculation, on this thread: Secret Stuff
Saeglopur
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:08:48 PM

Does anybody know the story behind the picture of the screen displaying some of the fragments as word documents? Specifically, the ones referenced in the Red Cabinet section of this forum? I'm dying of curiosity about them.
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 3:29:55 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Saeglopur wrote:
Does anybody know the story behind the picture of the screen displaying some of the fragments as word documents? Specifically, the ones referenced in the Red Cabinet section of this forum? I'm dying of curiosity about them.

Did you mean this picture?

That's the Negatives folder on my computer. Old pic - the file is bigger now...

Happy hunting
S
marsjams13
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 4:19:11 PM

You tease
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:27:20 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

marsjams13 wrote:
You tease

Not really. It'd only be a tease if I stopped you getting to it.

S
marsjams13
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:54:48 PM

Damn it, I can't think of where else to look Brick wall
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:04:13 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

I know... really frustrating!
redmenace
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:20:32 AM

Can anyone offer a clue on the password to steven-hall.org/ca?

http://www.steven-hall.org/ca/

or any other place to find the aquarium fragment?
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:31:10 AM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

redmenace wrote:
Can anyone offer a clue on the password to steven-hall.org/ca?

http://www.steven-hall.org/ca/

or any other place to find the aquarium fragment?

Tis the season of giving, and for some reason I think of the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".