Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Steven Hall Q&A Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 11:39:49 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

asaf wrote:
Greetings from a huge fan in Israel. Even with the ease of the internet, I truly feel privileged for writing you directly. Thank you for putting up this site.

I have two questions for your Q&A invitation:
(1) I've seen the research stack photo. One hell of a teaser trailer it is. Can you please list books that helped you when you worked on the Raw Shark?
(2) Mindblown, I started looking for more books of the... well, with my limited english I'll call it "genre", but please don't take it in its degrading meaning. I mean - never mind. So anyway, I've read the House of Leaves and loved it, and I've been a Borges (and Eco) fan for a while. And I want to have some more, sir. Is there more? What would you suggest I read next?

With regret and also hope,
a.

Hello asaf and sorry it's taken me so long to get to your questions!

(1) I've seen the research stack photo. One hell of a teaser trailer it is. Can you please list books that helped you when you worked on the Raw Shark?

There were lots, but here are a few (and some of the most important actually appear in Raw Shark in some way, shape or form):

Lost in the Funhouse by John Barth
Writing and Difference by Jacques Derrida
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
Double or Nothing by Raymond Federman
The End of Evolution by Peter Ward
Holes and Other Superficialities by Roberto Casati and Achille C. Varzi
On the Origin of Species: By Means of Natural Selection by Charles Darwin
Madness and Modernism: Insanity in the Light of Modern Art, Literature and Thought by Louis A Sass
Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry by B.S. Johnson
In Search of Superstrings: Symmetry, Membranes and the Theory of Everything by John Gribbin

(2) Mindblown, I started looking for more books of the... well, with my limited english I'll call it "genre", but please don't take it in its degrading meaning. I mean - never mind. So anyway, I've read the House of Leaves and loved it, and I've been a Borges (and Eco) fan for a while. And I want to have some more, sir. Is there more? What would you suggest I read next?

I'd suggest you look at George Perec, BS Johnson, Italo Calvino and Jeff Noon next. Maybe start with Perec. Also, Murakami is always good and Ruth Ozeki is pretty wonderful too. Hope this helps!

S

asaf
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:35:39 PM
Groups: Shoal

Thank you! Now please hurry up before the middle east goes down in flames.
a
pikkukivi
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 10:36:01 PM

Hey.

I actually do not have a question, more of an confession.

I bought the book only because of the cover.

The appearance of it was something I had not ran into before. And then, as so many others, I was spellbound by this story.

The cover still kept me going back to the book, even after reading it a few times.
I loved the cover so much, that I ended up taking the book up to a tattoo artist, and now after a few adjustments I will walk the rest of my life with this:
http://bodymodifications.net/member/pikkurotta/212402/

Hope you like it. I love it.

/U
darkne5downst@irs
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 8:26:55 PM

Hi Steven!

I would just like to thank you for such an incredible reading experience from your book. After having received it for my birthday, I ate it up in a day, and am planning another readthrough sometime soon. I just have a couple of questions around the book.

1) I fount TRST through House of Leaves. Both have innovative, and, frankly, crazy stuff with the text itself. I was just wondering if you had read House of Leaves? It has been one of my favourite novels (experiences?) for a long time, and I think both have similarities. If you have not read it, I highly recommend you give it a look.

2) I found this page http://jessewalkr.com/index.php?/work/raw-shark-texts/ on tumblr, and was wondering if an edition of the book like this would ever be released. Because, to be honest, I would sell my own soul to get my hands on it.

3) Leading on from this, (and I'm not sure if you've already answered this) are there any other slightly tongue-in-cheek post-modernist works of fiction like TRST which you could recommend?

Thanks
Blake
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:26:30 AM

pikkukivi wrote:
Hey.

I actually do not have a question, more of an confession.

I bought the book only because of the cover.

The appearance of it was something I had not ran into before. And then, as so many others, I was spellbound by this story.

The cover still kept me going back to the book, even after reading it a few times.
I loved the cover so much, that I ended up taking the book up to a tattoo artist, and now after a few adjustments I will walk the rest of my life with this:
http://bodymodifications.net/member/pikkurotta/212402/

Hope you like it. I love it.

/U

I love it too! Thanks for the kind words and for sharing the pics.
S

Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:39:55 AM

darkne5downst@irs wrote:
Hi Steven!

I would just like to thank you for such an incredible reading experience from your book. After having received it for my birthday, I ate it up in a day, and am planning another readthrough sometime soon. I just have a couple of questions around the book.

1) I fount TRST through House of Leaves. Both have innovative, and, frankly, crazy stuff with the text itself. I was just wondering if you had read House of Leaves? It has been one of my favourite novels (experiences?) for a long time, and I think both have similarities. If you have not read it, I highly recommend you give it a look.

2) I found this page http://jessewalkr.com/index.php?/work/raw-shark-texts/ on tumblr, and was wondering if an edition of the book like this would ever be released. Because, to be honest, I would sell my own soul to get my hands on it.

3) Leading on from this, (and I'm not sure if you've already answered this) are there any other slightly tongue-in-cheek post-modernist works of fiction like TRST which you could recommend?

Thanks
Blake

Hi Blake,

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!
To your questions:

1) Yes, I have read House of Leaves. I was working on the earliest version of what would become Raw Shark when House of Leaves came out, and I remember being totally blown away by it and also a little crushed that someone had beaten me to the punch in reviving concrete storytelling (and applying it so brilliantly). Mark ZD was very generous when Raw Shark came out too, I have huge admiration for both the man and his work. Much looking forward to his next one.

2) Jesse's concepts are beautiful, aren't they? The answer is 'I don't know', but I would LOVE do do a limited edition run of Jesse's design. Maybe something for the books 10th anniversary?

3) If you're looking for slightly tongue-in-cheek post-modernist works, you should certainly check out Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry by BS Johnson. On of my favourite books of all time. It's not a whole lot like Raw Shark Texts, but it fits all your other criteria!

S