Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Doctor Who: The Word Lord Options
cgsheldon
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:33:25 AM
Groups: Shoal

The Word Lord is a short Doctor Who audio story:

4. THE WORD LORD
by Steven Hall
In a top secret military bunker deep beneath the Antarctic ice a mysterious death threatens peace negotiations and could spell disaster for the inhabitants of Earth. Can the Doctor cross the t's and dot the i's? Or will his efforts get lost in translation?
cgsheldon
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:58:33 AM

The eponymous villain in The Word Lord is called Nobody No-one, voiced by Paul Reynolds (reminiscent of Mr. Nobody from Raw Shark I wonder?).

**Spoilers Below**

Steven addressed some questions regarding Nobody No-one on the Big Finish forums (the producers of the Doctor Who audio series):

"I thought I'd stop by to quickly answer the question you raised about Nobody No One in your review, namely - why didn't anyone say 'nobody's powerless' or similar, and simply stop him in his tracks?

Well, the answer is (apart from the fact that the story would've been very short!) that while many of the other creatures from Nobody's dimension would be very much at the mercy of our words if they were ever to come here, Nobody is a full-blown Word Lord, equipped with his own CORDIS, and with that comes the ability to manipulate the effect for his own ends, to choose to take or not to take the various avenues other character's words open up for him (it's intended to be the equivalent of all living beings experiencing time in our dimension, but Time Lords having the power to manipulate it for their own purposes)

Funnily enough, I did think of adding a scene to make this clearer but the 25 minute format is punishing and the extra exposition felt heavy on top of everything else, so in the end Nobody's ability to selectively make use of the 'nobody can' effect had to stay implicit rather than explicit."
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:26:56 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

This might be of interest to folks who like 'lost' things:

There were two different edits of The Word Lord. At the 11th hour, the folks who make these Doctor Who plays decided that the original was too dark and violent and unsuitable for children, so it was changed just before the CDs were pressed.

I think they made the right decision in toning the play down for release. In light of the Ross/Brand affair, the BBC (and every company working under a BBC licence) has to be extra careful to make sure that their content is as witchhunt-proof as possible. And in any case, I think they were right - the play as it stood was too violent and might have been upsetting for small children, so good catch Big Finish.

But - here's the interesting part - because the edits happened so late in the day, there's a chance that the original, darker version of the story is still around on a few production people's desktops. I guess we'll never get to hear it, but it's kinda exciting to think that it could still exist out there somewhere.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:38:52 PM

This fantastic alternative cover for The Word Lord was designed by Colin Brockhurst.

cgsheldon
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:39:07 PM

Steven Hall wrote:
This fantastic alternative cover for The Word Lord was designed by Colin Brockhurst.

Nice - looks like a cross between Doctor Who and the James Bond gun barrel sequence; and from Hartnell to Smith, is it a requirement that the Doctor have crazy hair? ;p
CpVb006
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:08:59 PM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

I just listened to this, and I think my first visit to the Doctor was a positive one.

Or, my prognosis is that it looks a case of interesting radio drama.

Or, can someone call in a prescription for a script of this?

EDIT:

Here's a character list from 'The Word Lord', according to the link above.

The Doctor
Hex
Ace
System
Private Fenton
Commander Claire Spencer
Captain James Hurst
Nobody No-one

Now, like I said above, I don't know much about Doctor Who, though from my quick google searching, I'm pretty sure only the first three (and System, which I am pretty sure is the voice of TARDIS) are recurring Doctor Who characters. It might just be a coincidence, but Private Fenton sort of intrigues me, if not for the name alone. Mainly because a "Bob Fenton" appears in The Raw Shark Texts (page 35, Canadian hardcover), as part of one of the addresses on the envelopes Eric finds in the package containing the Light Bulb Fragment.

Of the other names, two (Harrison Brodie and Simian Keslev) appear in some of Steven Hall's other work ('Not Jesus Yet' and a "deleted-scene" from The Slashmoderists (from which 'Not Jesus Yet' is excerpted). Confused yet? Me too, honestly). The other name is Steven Hall himself.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make, is those four names (Keslev, Brodie, Hall, and Fenton) are all connected, by at least coincidence, with works by Steven Hall.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:53:53 AM

There are a couple of threads in other forums discussing The Word Lord and the other three plays that make up Forty-Five, if folks feel like checking them out.

The first is at www.doctorwhoforum.com . Go to - The Worlds of Doctor Who, then Big Finish Productions, then Doctor Who 115. Forty-Five.
Or you can click here (but you need to join the forum before you can see the forums).

The second is on Big Finish's own site - here.

S

cgsheldon
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:56:02 AM

The Doctor has encountered creatures in the TV series that survived in books and were described as analogous to fish, the Season Four two-parter, "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead".

In these episodes, the Doctor's enemy don't just lurk in the shadows; they are the shadows. The Vashta Nerada, described by the Doctor as "piranhas of the air", are microscopic beings that live in swarms in forests; their eggs can survive in wood pulp. Their name means "shadows that melt the flesh"; according to the Doctor they inspired a fear of the dark in most species across the Universe, since any shadow could be made of Vashta Nerada.

In the first episode the Doctor arrives on a planet called "the Library", devoted entirely to being a repository for books. However, the Vashta Nerada's eggs had survived the book production process and had subsequently manifested themselves, eating anything that stepped into the shadows.
jessicasmith
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:06:03 AM

very informative

Looking nice
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 11:40:02 AM

Whatculture.com ranked Nobody No One, my Doctor Who villain, at No.2 on the list of enemies they want to see face Peter Capaldi's Doctor!

S