Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Blog & Talkback Thread Options
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:51:59 AM

Groups: Shoal

Steven,
you know how for Book Two on the forums it's been labeled "xxx xxxxxx xxxxx "
well, do you think you could keep us even more enthralled than we already are by, hmmm, maybe sporadically releasing a new letter every once and while????
now THAT would be an adventure!!!!
: )
p.s. "The" doesn't count because we already know that part.
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:03:15 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

MiaVRO wrote:
Steven,
you know how for Book Two on the forums it's been labeled "xxx xxxxxx xxxxx "
well, do you think you could keep us even more enthralled than we already are by, hmmm, maybe sporadically releasing a new letter every once and while????
now THAT would be an adventure!!!!
: )
p.s. "The" doesn't count because we already know that part.

Hi Mia,

Great minds think alike!
It'll be quite some time before the new book is ready though, so the first letter won't be making an appearance for a while yet...

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:32:28 PM

New blog up here.

Includes some words and a whole phrase from Hula Hoop, and also some wondering about what went wrong with the new series of Skins

S
benedict
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:59:19 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

cheers for the update steven! phantasm is a great word (and a great classic horror film as well!). and more raw shark too... very cool!
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:19:12 PM

‘uncommonly susceptible to the Devil’s influence.’ Cool.. reminds me of someone.

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 11:21:45 AM

Cheers guys.
More soon

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:27:12 PM

New blog - 'The future of Eric Sanderson & almost some film news' - is up now :)

S
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:01:50 PM

I know exactly what you mean about being in bed with ideas swimming around inside your head and not being able to sleep. Often times I won't be able to sleep until I get up out of bed, research the idea and either flesh it out or discard it.
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:55:56 PM

Apols for the lack of blog updates guys. Am racing to meet a Book Two deadline and there isn't much space for too many other things at the moment.

I'm going away for a week to try to make some progress so I might not be getting back to posts and Q&A questions as quickly as usual. Do keep the Q&As coming if you have them though, I really enjoy answering em.

Will check in when I can.

S

CpVb006
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:03:02 PM

Good luck with everything, Steven. Does that mean Book Two, in some early form, at least, is going to be done soon?
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:16:33 AM

CpVb006 wrote:
Good luck with everything, Steven. Does that mean Book Two, in some early form, at least, is going to be done soon?

Thanks Cp,

No, it means that a respectable chunk of Book Two will be done soon though. I'm just starting tio realise what a huge project Book Two is, tbh. There's a lot to do.
I'm working on a whole different scale this time around.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:28:33 AM

I now have a Facebook username:

http://www.facebook.com/stevenhallbooks

Do drop by and say hello if you haven't already!

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:33:07 PM

New Blog!

Hello hello,

Been a while, hasn’t it? Sorry about that. I’ve just been plugging away here at Hula Hoop. Every paragraph that I’m writing at the moment is taking a long time, for reasons which will probably be obvious when it’s finally finished and you guys can get a look at it. I don’t make life easy for myself, I really don’t. I’ve got a great feeling about this book though, and hopefully all the extra hours will be worth it.

Book Two

Speaking of the second book there are a few new details over on the 3AM blog – nothing very spoiler-ish, but some things that haven’t been mentioned on here yet. There’s still a long road ahead with Book Two and I’ll keep you posted on my progress as best I can, although it might come off a little “something I can’t talk about yet is going really well, still struggling with a different something-I-can’t-talk-about though” but I’ll do my best to keep it interesting!

Book Two – duel format?

I’m just beginning to look at the possibility of having Book Two released in two formats at once. The first would obviously be as a printed book (if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it) and the second as something a little bit different. I’m very interested in working across different platforms, and I’m interested in the ways fiction can fit with the way we live now. I’m not talking about re-inventing the wheel or anything, but I feel that in the stampede towards ebooks (which are very interesting in their own right) publishers may have missed a trick, and so I’m going to take a shot at it to see what happens. I still need to talk to a few people about this (my publishers for one!) but hopefully everyone will be as excited as I am about the idea.

Raw Shark Chinese

On the Raw Shark Texts front, I’ve written a brand new introduction to the Chinese language edition which is out very soon. Once that book is out, I’ll make sure a translated version is available on here.

Expanded Raw Shark?

I’ve noticed here and here and in a few other places too that rumours are circulating about a new/definitive edition of The Raw Shark Texts featuring Jesse Walker’s amazing design work . I’d love to release a limited, expanded edition featuring everything found so far, and it’s great to see the interest in that happening popping up around the web. I’m going to speak to Canongate about it very soon, and would quietly suggest that the more heat there is around this online, the more likely it is to happen... ;)

That’s all for now, more soon!

S
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:17:44 PM

cheers for the update steven! narnia junction eh? that sounds very interesting...
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:56:47 PM

Thank you for the update!

I saliave every time I see the Jesse Walker concept design. I had one of the images as my desktop wallpaper for a brief period of time (but you can see how that would be a potential problem.... heh)

Also, when I hear "the second novel uses the architecture of the book to tell the story," what I can't stop thinking of is Only Revolutions. Or, at least the idea of Only Revolutions. And that excites the heck out of me!! I can't help but feel that what Steven Hall (you) are doing is part of some sort of "book revolution" type-deal. And i'm ecstatic!!!

One more thing. Question. When you said duel-format - ebooks. Do you just mean it to be released in digital form? I can't really grasp the whole ebook thing.

And, one more thing. Question. (sorry, I lied). Something you might not be able to answer(?...just a yes or no) Will there be connections (big or small or minuscule) bridging this book with Raw Shark?
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:15:17 PM

Thanks Ben, thanks Mia,

To answer your questions M:

1) There will indeed be an e-book, but that isn't the format I was talking about. I'll post something concrete as soon as I can.

2) Yes.

I think I'm having some rare moment of online honesty today!

S
Broken_Drum
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:43:23 PM

Sorry to add to the mass of questions but I'm rather excited; as the new book is said to bridge with TRST could it possibly be seen as a sequel of sorts? I understand if you don't want to give too much away though, Thanks.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:24:21 PM

Broken_Drum wrote:
Sorry to add to the mass of questions but I'm rather excited; as the new book is said to bridge with TRST could it possibly be seen as a sequel of sorts? I understand if you don't want to give too much away though, Thanks.

Good question. Afraid I can't give you a direct answer to this because, as we go forward, the question of if/how these two books (and Powerball, and Book Four and Book Five after that) fit together and if/how they unlock new aspects of each other is intended to be a growing meta-puzzle for the most active readers. In my introduction to the Chinese Raw Shark, I call this monster meta-structure 'the framework' and I'm hugely excited about it.

There will also be a more direct narrative bridge between Raw Shark and Hula Hoop, but the plan is for that to happen before Hula Hoop is released.

See? It looks like I'm being helpful, but actually.... ;)

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:36:03 AM

People can say whatever they want about Raw Shark, but sneaking in a plug for your own book at the end of a review is just plain cheeky D. Mikels!

S

Hmmm. Just saw that this guy also recently reviewed a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire Sauce...
birdsatemyface
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:03:34 AM

Steven Hall wrote:
People can say whatever they want about Raw Shark, but sneaking in a plug for your own book at the end of a review is just plain cheeky D. Mikels!

S

Hmmm. Just saw that this guy also recently reviewed a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire Sauce...

Been lurking the forums for a few days and thought it would be an excellent time to butt in and say that he's also given full-fledged reviews for a box of Q-tips, a carton of salt, Plug Your Book! Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity through Social Networking (well how 'bout that!), briefs, and last but certainly not least, high-heeled lace-up stilettos.

That being said, I... wouldn't take his review of TRST too personally.