Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Blog & Talkback Thread Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:28:25 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

birdsatemyface wrote:
Steven Hall wrote:
People can say whatever they want about Raw Shark, but sneaking in a plug for your own book at the end of a review is just plain cheeky D. Mikels!

S

Hmmm. Just saw that this guy also recently reviewed a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire Sauce...

Been lurking the forums for a few days and thought it would be an excellent time to butt in and say that he's also given full-fledged reviews for a box of Q-tips, a carton of salt, Plug Your Book! Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity through Social Networking (well how 'bout that!), briefs, and last but certainly not least, high-heeled lace-up stilettos.

That being said, I... wouldn't take his review of TRST too personally.

Hi Birds, and welcome!

hehe, I hadn't seen these (the Plug Your Book book is especially funny!), but I did see that he'd given a rave review to a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire Sauce... Eh?
birdsatemyface
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:47:51 AM

Groups: Shoal

Steven Hall wrote:
Hi Birds, and welcome!

hehe, I hadn't seen these (the Plug Your Book book is especially funny!), but I did see that he'd given a rave review to a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire Sauce... Eh?

Bwahahah. I saw that.

That review has totally sold me! Grab your keys, Steven, we're making a grocery store run right NOW! Hurry, before all of those precious little bottles of Heinz Worcestershire Sauce are gone! :P
heartbreak
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:43:31 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

hahahahahahahaha that's just too funny.
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 12:35:41 PM

rawshark.ca is back online folks!

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:57:40 AM

New blog...

Hey folks,

I’m back from my holidays (I fell out of a kayak and lost my snorkel, but otherwise very good fun) and trying to get up to speed with things.

I’m putting together a lot of my old blogs so I can post them on the forums, in case people want to read what I was doing and thinking when Raw Shark Texts came out. Mostly what I was doing, if the blogs are any guide, was dealing the rollercoaster of reviews the book got on publication and trying to make sense of the crazy place my life had become. I’m pleased with my restraint on the whole - I rarely commented on the bad stuff, and even when I did I tried not to take things to personally. Well done Past Steven Hall, I’m giving you a gold star for self control.

It seems to have become fashionable for authors to publicly respond to bad reviews in the past few weeks though, check out Alain de Botton’s fairly astonishing comment on reviewer Caleb Crain’s website in response to his New York Times review of Pleasures and Sorrows of Work.

The comment ends with “I will hate you till the day I die and wish you nothing but ill will in every career move you make. I will be watching with interest and schadenfreude” Which seems, er, a bit strong.

I do sympathise with the frustration which much have driven Alain de Botton to make such a post, even though I can’t agree that writing ‘I’ll hate you till the day I die’ on a reviewer’s website is ever a justifiable course of action, though I’m sure most writers have felt a strong desire to do so at one time or another. Reviews can be lazy, ill-considered, needlessly aggressive, politically motivated or driven by other agendas that the author can only guess at (or perhaps even worse – is all too aware of) and that have little to do with the book itself.

One specific instance sticks in my mind (and for some reason I avoided mentioning it at the time) - in one week in 2007, Raw Shark received a nice review in a famous glossy magazine, and a sniffy dismissal in an famous broadsheet newspaper, AND BOTH WERE WRITTEN BY THE SAME PERSON. Of course, there are many brilliant reviewers out there, and raw shark was lucky enough to receive some very smart reviews, (and here I mean very smart positive reviews, and very smart negative ones), but when something like that happens the sheer lunacy and/or corruption it suggests does kinda leave you scratching your head, doesn’t it?

The beauty of the internet is that authors can answer their critics in a public forum if they feel the need to do so. It’s a minefield though, and author’s who can’t control their vitriolic outbursts often end up looking much worse than the critics who caused them. In an ideal world, the bad reviewers would always hang themselves with their bad reviews. This isn’t an ideal world and so authors should occasionally feel empowered to help the process along if there’s a genuine need to do so. The watchword for this though is ‘control’.

For a hilarious master class in the art of destroying the sloppy reviewer, check out Dan Rhodes is disliked by at the author’s website.

As Willie says to Shaft in Shaft’s Big Score, “That’s the way to do it, junior.”

Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:37:17 AM

Hey folks,

Sorry I've been quiet around these parts for a while. Things are getting excitingly hectic here - I'll put up a full blog with all the latest as soon as I can.

In the meantime, here's a link to an interview I did with Baby Got Books. Some new Book 2 info, thoughts on The Grand Scheme and other new bits and pieces can be found therein...

Do post your thoughts, guys, always good to hear from you!

Steven

heartbreak
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:16:31 PM

Steven Hall wrote:
I haven’t, partly because there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to go after you have your own dalek!

hahaha great line Steven!
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:29:28 PM

Ok so you once mentioned that someone who had read a little bit of Book Two said “this sounds nothing like you. It’s really good.”

and then this "What I can tell you, from what I’ve read so far, is that this second novel is going to be an interesting departure from Raw Shark. " was said at the end of the interview...

Can you tell us anything about that (other than the architectual changes in the book)? Is it the writing style of book two, or the theme, or plot....?

That interview really gave me a boost, by the way. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to the blog!!
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 11:43:42 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
Ok so you once mentioned that someone who had read a little bit of Book Two said “this sounds nothing like you. It’s really good.”

and then this "What I can tell you, from what I’ve read so far, is that this second novel is going to be an interesting departure from Raw Shark. " was said at the end of the interview...

Can you tell us anything about that (other than the architectual changes in the book)? Is it the writing style of book two, or the theme, or plot....?

That interview really gave me a boost, by the way. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to the blog!!

Hi Mia,

I can't really say too much about the specifics yet, but I can say that Hula Hoop is tricksy - there might be people who have read the first chapter or two and think they have a good grip on what the book is, but it's not going to be that simple!

Glad you liked the interview, I'll try to write a longer blog soon!

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 12:07:57 PM

Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:36:54 PM

I'm now on twitter! username: stevenha11

real blog coming soon, promise!

S
Jules
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 12:48:22 PM

Steven Hall wrote:

Just looked for you on Twitter and search for that username returned 0 results. Think

Jules
heartbreak
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 1:19:34 PM

Jules wrote:
Steven Hall wrote:

Just looked for you on Twitter and search for that username returned 0 results. Think

Jules

Did you use one's or L's at the end? It should be one's I believe. I just copy and pasted the username and it came up fine. Good luck. :)
Jules
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 1:26:08 PM

I used 1s. Just tried cut and paste and still nothing. Hmmm. Maybe I'm doing something stupid...

Jules
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 1:34:43 PM

I have NO idea how Twitter works, all those @ and # signs just confuse me. But i got somewhere when i went to www.twitter.com/stevenha11 (i just assumed it was like myspace and the like)
Jules
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 2:45:19 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
I have NO idea how Twitter works, all those @ and # signs just confuse me. But i got somewhere when i went to www.twitter.com/stevenha11 (i just assumed it was like myspace and the like)

Ah, now that worked! Thanks MiaVRO.

Jules
CpVb006
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:10:43 PM

Considered yourself followed, Steven. If anyone is interested in me, I guess, http://twitter.com/petervanbrunt is where I do business. Business meaning usually talking about why my school day is ridiculous and/or music things.

@MiaVRO, it's pretty simple. In a tweet, if you use an @ sign before someone's user name (like I did at the beginning of this paragraph) it automatically creates a link to their name.

As for the hash tags (the #), it's sort of stupid. Twitter has some sort of algorithm that sees what words are commonly being used in tweets that day and compiles them in a list called "trending topics" at that right of the page. The # is supposed to denote what your tweet is in reference to. Like #rawsharktexts, or something. Thing is, trending topics don't necessarily have to use the hash mark to be picked up.

I honestly just ignore this aspect of the whole thing.
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 11:39:53 PM

Ok that was all pretty basic. Thanks for the rundown!! : )
Now, what does RT mean? I'm usually a tech-savvy kindof gal, but Twitter is just so over my head right now.
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:11:41 AM

RT just meets "retweet". It usually precedes @usernamehere and then their message that someone wants to retweet. So for instance, if I wanted to retweet Steven's most recent tweet, it'd look like this:

"RT @stevenha11 V interesting/exciting mail from my agent this eve - a secretproject3!? That's too many, surely! Looking forward to what tomorrow brings..."

Sometimes people will add their own comments before or after. Like this:

"I am excited! RT @stevenha11 V interesting/exciting mail from my agent this eve - a secretproject3!? That's too many, surely! Looking forward to what tomorrow brings..."

Though, of course, we are now way over the 140 character limit. And sometimes people use (via @usernamehere) to do the same sort of...citation.

You know, maybe this is pretty complicated after all.
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:14:47 AM

140 character limit...?
Ok, nevermind. Twitter is Twitter and I'll just have to get with it, I guess.