Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Blog & Talkback Thread Options
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:23:18 AM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

's what twitter is all about! Creative brevity, they call it, I think.
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:27:37 AM

Groups: Shoal

Like the cute caption you add after your MSN name? That's ALWAYS my favourite part : )
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:48:22 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Hello folks,

Sorry for the silence around these parts recently – I’ve been stupidly busy over the last few months and things are only getting more, not less, crazy. Good crazy though. Always good crazy.

Here’s what I’ve been doing:

Hula Hoop

Book 2 takes up most of my time, it’s a monster. A huge, wonderful, crazy, bizarre and brain-twisting monster. I’m pushing myself on this one. It’s a much broader canvas than Raw Shark, and every bit as complicated and full of hidden tunnels for active and super-active readers to discover and explore. It uses the geography of the book in a different way to Raw Shark, it’s, it’s.... well, you’ll see. I am very proud of what I have so far. A chunk went to my editor at Canongate last month and he was very excited about it too, which is good, because it is an odd and impossible beast, this Hula Hoop of mine.

Granta

A few months ago John Freeman, editor of Granta magazine, emailed to ask ‘would I like to write about robots for them?’ Of course, I said yes. Granta! It’s such an honour to be asked. And robots! Who doesn’t love robots? So I packed a bag and flew to The Robotics Institute Carnegie Mellon University to meet some of the most advanced robots on the planet, including the amazing HERB , and these fellas too...

I’ll keep you posted on when my piece will run.

Secretproject1, Secretproject2 (and maybe secretproject3?)

These things are running under, around, and in any spare inch of space left to me by the Godzilla-sized Hula Hoop. One of them is potentially a Very Big Deal and is simmering away nicely at the moment. One is more urgent, smaller and a real joy to do in what little spare time I have. The third has just come up. It will need further investigation. Hopefully by Christmas I will be able to tell you about some, or all, of these things. At least, I hope so - I really can’t wait to talk about these things!

I think that’ll have to do for now. More, and in more detail soon!

S
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:50:51 PM

excellent news steven! patiently looking forward to everything...
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:22:15 PM

benedict wrote:
excellent news steven! patiently looking forward to everything...

Thanks Ben, more news when I can!

S
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:54:17 PM

I am too!

Has Book 3 (Powerball?) become one of the secretprojects? Or has it just been put aside for the time being?
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:11:08 PM

CpVb006 wrote:
I am too!

Has Book 3 (Powerball?) become one of the secretprojects? Or has it just been put aside for the time being?

Hey Cp,

No, Powerball is being held back for the time being. I imagine I'll pick it up properly once the Hula Hoop manuscript has gone to Canongate.

S
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:16:56 PM

Ah ha, that's pretty fair, I think. It really sounds like you've been super busy with Hula Hoop and other stuff. At liberty to share how much you've written so far? Rounded to the nearest hundred pages or compared to Raw Shark?
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:28:13 PM

CpVb006 wrote:
Ah ha, that's pretty fair, I think. It really sounds like you've been super busy with Hula Hoop and other stuff. At liberty to share how much you've written so far? Rounded to the nearest hundred pages or compared to Raw Shark?

It's a very fair question, but I'm afraid I can't really answer. If I did compare to Raw Shark it'd be misleading, trust me!

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:26:30 PM

The Secretproject1 phone meeting is tonight. Also received more info on secretproject3 and , wow - you guys are going to really like this one, I think. It's got the potential to be something really special.

In other news - I never realised how much I wanted a two-headed pet tortoise until today...

benedict
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:05:54 PM

those tortoises are so cool looking! so is that your pet, or are you planning to buy one? it will cost you a pretty penny.
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:28:32 PM

benedict wrote:
those tortoises are so cool looking! so is that your pet, or are you planning to buy one? it will cost you a pretty penny.

No, not mine. Just found the pic online. I reckon he's one of a kind. I cannot begin to imagine how much you'd have to pay for a two headed tortoise!
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:34:40 AM

Jessica Pressman’s piece "The Aesthetic of Bookishness in the Twenty-first Century" discusses the way in which The Raw Shark Texts responds as a paper novel to new media and ‘the death of the book’.

The article appears in the fall issue of the Michigan Quarterly Review, which is titled - “Bookishness: The New Fate of Reading in the Digital Age”.

I’ve been lucky enough to read the article already – it’s very good indeed. Do check it out.

S
benedict
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:32:58 PM

Steven Hall wrote:
I cannot begin to imagine how much you'd have to pay for a two headed tortoise!

It seems like you can purchase two-headed turtles here.
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:44:41 PM

benedict wrote:
Steven Hall wrote:
I cannot begin to imagine how much you'd have to pay for a two headed tortoise!

It seems like you can purchase two-headed turtles here.

Wow Ben,

If you ever get bored of your current profession, I reckon you could make a fortune as PA to the super-rich. A man who can find a 2-headed turtle for sale, can surely find anything!

Cheers for the link. Amazing.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 10:30:55 AM

I'm taking part in a live, online discussion of Raw Shark at the readitswapit.co.uk tonight!

The discussion will take place in their spoiler discussions forum. The thread, titled 'The Raw Shark Texts' should appear just before 8pm GMT

Hope to see you there,

S
CpVb006
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 3:51:54 PM

For the reference of those across the pond, that's 3 PM EST, 3 PM central, and so on.

Do you know what sort of stuff you're going to be talking about? Or is it pretty much going to be question and answer?
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 4:46:38 PM

CpVb006 wrote:
For the reference of those across the pond, that's 3 PM EST, 3 PM central, and so on.

Do you know what sort of stuff you're going to be talking about? Or is it pretty much going to be question and answer?

It's a book group discussion, so it'll pretty much be question and answer. Have to wait & see what comes up!

S
CpVb006
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 8:28:55 PM

Here's a link right to the thread: http://forums.readitswapit.co.uk/forums/t/66791.aspx

Not that I don't trust Steven to post it, but the discussion seems pretty happening and fast paced so far. Maybe name drop this place somewheres towards the end of the discussion. New faces around here are always nice.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:55:36 PM

CpVb006 wrote:
Here's a link right to the thread: http://forums.readitswapit.co.uk/forums/t/66791.aspx

Not that I don't trust Steven to post it, but the discussion seems pretty happening and fast paced so far. Maybe name drop this place somewheres towards the end of the discussion. New faces around here are always nice.

Thanks Cp,

Yes - the chat got hectic very quickly. Some good questions and great to hear (see?) people's thoughts on Raw Shark Texts. Many thanks if you took part. if not, do check it out in the link above.

In other news - this week is nightmarishly busy, Hula Hoop is moving forward (something clicked that made me very happy, although it does mean going back through what I have and rewriting some chunks), secretproject1 and secretproject2 had deadlines this week, and I have a meeting about secretproject3 on Thursday. Phew.

S