Blog & Talkback Thread Options
timlarsson
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:53:01 PM

Groups: Shoal

ooh, secretprojects are awesome! they're so secret! :D
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2009 5:55:46 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Wow. Just seen that Raw Shark Texts is No. 9 on The Lists's Best Books of the Decade...

Thank you List!

S

heartbreak
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:37:42 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Congrats Steven! Well deserved.
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:33:23 PM

Hey Steven. Any news? Its been quiet around these parts the last little while. Any book/movie/secret project news to speak of?
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 3:20:57 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
Hey Steven. Any news? Its been quiet around these parts the last little while. Any book/movie/secret project news to speak of?

Things are happening, but not many that I can speak of yet, I'm afraid!

One thing I can tell you that my piece about robots has just been published in the latest issue of Granta Magazine. Do check it out. It's called What I Think About When I Think About Robots. Might there be some clues about Hula Hoop in it? Maybe...

Speaking of Hula Hoop, I just had a really good chat with my editor at Canongate. Slowly, the creature comes to life...

S
benedict
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:03:20 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

eagerly waiting in anticipation...
UNderstanding Concept
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:38:47 AM

I am behind. Apparently the last negative posted on this site was years ago. Are all of the negatives in existence, or is this a scavenger hunt with nothing but dead ends?
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 1:17:01 AM

Well, from what i believe, there are a few negatives still out there in cyberspace and the like, but Steven is still working on many. So, not all of them are to be found at this point. Does that answer any questions? Probably not, hahaha.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:27:43 PM

Hello, hello!

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Sorry about that, folks. I haven’t had a spare minute for the last few months.

So what’s happening? Well. Hula Hoop is rolling along like a great Victorian steam engine and I’ve just finished everything for Secretproject2, which ate up every spare evening and weekend of the year so far (hence my not being around these parts for a while). SP2 is in other people’s hands now so I’ll be waiting for the finished thing along with everyone else. Exciting times. I’ll tell you what it is as soon as I can though, I promise.

The structure of Hula Hoop has undergone something of an evolution in the last couple of weeks. I’m very excited about how it’s going to work. The next step is *making* it work. I’ll be in the Hula Hoop workshop bolting and fastening and welding for a while, but I’ll keep you informed as much as I can.

Things are quiet on the Raw Shark film front. No news has come my way for some time, but again – news will be here when I have it!

To (sort of) answer the questions about the Raw Shark negatives: Yes, some of the negatives have been lost. Some were unique and – a far as I can tell – most of those are gone. Others are most definitely still out there. And some are still to come. An edition of The Raw Shark texts with all the negatives would be a very big book. It’d have to be multi-media and maybe even site specific. In fact, I’m not sure you could really call it a book at all. But, more importantly - fragmentation and the risk of loss are really central ideas when dealing with the negatives. Somehow collecting them all into a neat, prefect & timeless release would be kinda missing the point...

More soon…

Steven
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:05:02 AM

Hello folks,

Guess what? All the details on my side project, currently codenamed ‘Special Project 2’ are going to be released next week. So as soon as they are, I’ll reproduce them here for everyone to see.

It’s very much a ‘one for me’ project, this one. One of the great things that came from writing Raw Shark Texts was being able to contribute to the stuff I’ve always loved, and to add to something that’s bigger (and older!) than I am. More concrete info soon...
As for the other Special Projects:

Special Project 1

I got a phone call from New York last week, letting me know that Special Project 1 wasn’t going ahead.
This was a big blow, guys. Special Project 1 was grade A stuff, seriously exciting and, I think, groundbreaking in terms of concepts and story in the particular medium it was developed for. I was so excited about the things I’d created for it , it had the potential to be a big, big deal.

The door is still open in New York for new ideas though, so something new might come from the ashes. It’s a massive shame. I’ll reuse the ideas, of course, but they were perfect for the place that passed on them. What can you do?

Special Project 3

I had to pull out of Special Project 3 recently. It was/is a wonderful but HUGE project, and if I'm going to have a chance of finishing this second book, something had to give. Such a shame, but the books have got to come first. Hula Hoop is a time-hungry monster...

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:09:45 PM

At last! Here's the info on Special Project 2!

This press release, published in this month's Doctor Who Magazine, lists three new Doctor Who radio plays coming this Autumn:

Project Destiny - by Cavan Scott and Mark Wright (September)

"The Seventh Doctor and Ace returning to earth after the shooting of Hex only to find London is not what it was." Stars Stephen Chance as Nimrod with Maggie O'Neil as Captain Lysandra Aristedes.

A Death in the Family - by Steven Hall (October)

Maggie Stables stars as Evelyn along with Ian Reddington as the Word Lord (last heard in the 7th Doctor/Ace/Hex audio Forty-Five).

Lurkers at Sunlight's Edge - by Marty Ross (November)

A horror story which takes place in the Artic Circle.

A Death in the Family is a play in four 25 minute episodes, staring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor and Sophie Aldred as Ace.

It's been a hugely rewarding and hugely exhausing side project, this one. It's eaten up almost every spare evening and weekend this year, but I'm so pleased with the end result. Hopefully the Doctor Who fans will be too. The story is embargoed for now so I can't say to much more, other than 'it's very me'.

I can say that working on this has been a great counterpoint to my ongoing work on Hula Hoop (which is, of course, my main, daytime project), and has freed my writing a lot. I suspect this will be the last thing I put out before the next novel comes along, which is an exciting thought in itself...

Folks are discussing the press release here and here

More from me nearer the time...

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 12:38:52 PM

Yesterday, I made a 7 hour round trip to feed some fish.
Turned out the fish weren't even very hungry.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:14:06 PM

Writing all day today. Also - learned what a tittle is, read about Francis Bacon and thought a lot about God.
You know what? It's a Lovecraftian monster of a thing, this book.

S
Ian (un-cat)
Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:24:54 AM

Just finished TRST for the second time, which admittedly was a little difficult as it fell in the bath about half-way through the book, but the subsequent water ripple-creases sort of added to the ambience giving it a bit of a 3-D feel, with the book literally jumping out at you, which was nice for the shark approach. Anyway, ahem, it has left me hungry for the verse. I'm eagerly anticipating, like a Ludovician hovering above a NASA think tank, this new Hula Hoop novel. Don't get me wrong, I like Dr Who and fiddly not-quite-human-enough-yet robots but I, like many others I presume, am aching to get my fingers on parchment of some description, awaiting to be riveted, un-enlightened and remotely mind-mushed by the perplexity of the prose. Whenever I happen upon a bookstore and sidle in shiftily, I'm always casting a beady eye on the 'Hall' section and if there's no new one's from Brian, I'll take a perfunctory glance to see if there's any more from Steven. Well that's not strictly true, I just googled 'Hall authors' and Brian's what came up first, not even a good enough name for a cat. Anyway after browsing the internet I havent found anything resembling a release date, I never knew I could fit my whole clenched-bunched fist into my mouth. As Morrissey once said 'How soon is now'?
On an aside, recently when I finished TRST for the second time I took the bath-battled book into work and put on a post-it note saying 'I'm a book, read me', I then hid it discreetly about my office, which contains 300+ people. Since then I have been firing off random e-mails to people who I suspect may have a hunger for the verse, with various unusual clues which I suggest might lead to something unusual. It's happy hunting at the moment, though I hope the recipient isn't disappointed it's not a slab of Galaxy chocolate. I've hidden it under the Regional Managers work-pedestal...
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:14:55 AM

Ian (un-cat) wrote:
Just finished TRST for the second time, which admittedly was a little difficult as it fell in the bath about half-way through the book, but the subsequent water ripple-creases sort of added to the ambience giving it a bit of a 3-D feel, with the book literally jumping out at you, which was nice for the shark approach. Anyway, ahem, it has left me hungry for the verse. I'm eagerly anticipating, like a Ludovician hovering above a NASA think tank, this new Hula Hoop novel. Don't get me wrong, I like Dr Who and fiddly not-quite-human-enough-yet robots but I, like many others I presume, am aching to get my fingers on parchment of some description, awaiting to be riveted, un-enlightened and remotely mind-mushed by the perplexity of the prose. Whenever I happen upon a bookstore and sidle in shiftily, I'm always casting a beady eye on the 'Hall' section and if there's no new one's from Brian, I'll take a perfunctory glance to see if there's any more from Steven. Well that's not strictly true, I just googled 'Hall authors' and Brian's what came up first, not even a good enough name for a cat. Anyway after browsing the internet I havent found anything resembling a release date, I never knew I could fit my whole clenched-bunched fist into my mouth. As Morrissey once said 'How soon is now'?
On an aside, recently when I finished TRST for the second time I took the bath-battled book into work and put on a post-it note saying 'I'm a book, read me', I then hid it discreetly about my office, which contains 300+ people. Since then I have been firing off random e-mails to people who I suspect may have a hunger for the verse, with various unusual clues which I suggest might lead to something unusual. It's happy hunting at the moment, though I hope the recipient isn't disappointed it's not a slab of Galaxy chocolate. I've hidden it under the Regional Managers work-pedestal...

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid I don't have a release date for Hula Hoop yet. It's such a complicated book, and in so many different ways, that the writing is taking much, much longer than Raw Shark. Some days, I'm happy if I've managed to get a new paragraph written - it really is that tricky. Still, rest assured I'm working very hard on it and I'll give updates on when you might be able to get hold of a copy as soon as I can.

Did anyone find the book? Did you have to buy them chocolate..??

S
Ian (un-cat)
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 1:28:15 AM

Hi Steven

Although I'm disappointed that Hula Hoop isn't quite with us yet I do glean some small measure of sadistic satisfaction in that you're fevering your mind with your endeavours. Not that I like to see people torture themselves, I just believe the wounds of mental self-flagellation will drip onto the pages and embellish the end product. You can feel the effort in Raw Shark, there's no 'lazy pages' and thats to be commended. I will just have to wait with bated breath, oxygen tank on standby...

I can confirm, after more than two weeks, that the book was found! But by who? I admit I started to indulge myself and sent a few contrived e-mails using vague symbolism and kindergarten psychology, which in hindsight may have backfired a bit. Up until a few days ago, to some people, I was seen as a cross between Derren Bown and Dan Brown, it all got a bit much. I'm sure someone thought I was going to make them believe they where a Templar Knight and then I would get them to reveal the Holy Grail through blinding, cascading lights... in an office in Liverpool. One person set about the task of searching with an alarming zest and zeal that suggested more than a bit of previous in the field which disturbed me a bit, though I managed to subdue and placate him with a Curly Wurly bar. So who did get the book? The tables have been turned. I know the book has gone, I checked, but I haven't had a confirmation from the recipient. Judging by the dust accumulations about the place which are now starting to form annual rings I'm confident it wasn't the cleaners and the Regional Manager is seen at his desk as regularly as Osama Bin Laden so I've ruled him out; also if he decided to go down on all fours under his desk it would require a phone call to the fire service to retrieve him. I'm quietly confident though, through cryptic e-mails I have received, that it was some young emo girl-lady. I'm loathe to draw any comparisons to Scout/Cleo as a) she differs physically and b) she may enjoy the book so much she reads comes on this blog site and reads a) then sets about to hammer my fingers into the concrete floor. She's a nice girl, really. I'll let you know when I manage to unravel the mystery I've brought upon myself...
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:55:40 PM

So..... does this mean the forum's back up and running?? I sure hope so!

In other news...
A few weeks ago I was walking into one of my lecture halls when a poster caught my eye....

Quote:

N. Katherine Hayles - Professor - Literature Studies - Duke University
Databases, Postindustrial Knowledge Work, and Hall's The Raw Shark Texts.

In discussing databases, Alan Liu makes the point that they conform to the requirements of postindustrial knowledge work, namely that it be transformable, automated, and autonomously mobile. This talk explores the implications of databases for posthuman subjectivity in the context of Steven Hall's novel The Raw Shark Texts.

Now, unfortunately, I saw this poster two days too late to catch the guest lecturer and I was kicking myself for not being more observant the week before! Anyways, thought it was interesting... I took a picture of the sign and can post it if anyone wants.
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:44:44 AM

Oh! That must've been a fun lecture, too bad you missed it!
Go ahead and post the sign, did it look anything special? :)
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 12:25:15 AM

Sorry it's so ginormous, but here's a picture of the poster. I'm so upset I missed it!

timlarsson
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 8:26:05 PM

Hmm, that "posthuman" thing seems to me like it has something to do with:

spoiler:Mycroft Ward?