Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Raw Shark Movie, Casting Ideas Options
Chimerical
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:44:02 PM
Groups: Shoal

Owen wrote:

Eric Sanderson - Danny Dyer (no, really, think about it, could really work!)

No offence but Danny Dyer would only be good if there was something to do with football casuals and if Eric cursed alot.
Jamie
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 2:13:02 PM

I recently watched Children of Men and though that two of the main actors (Owen and Caine) in that would be superb for this adaptaion of this film...

Clive Owen as Eric
Micheal Caine as Fidorious (in Children of Men, Caine plays this excentric, scatty, scientist type with long, messy, grey hair and he immediaetly came into my head as what Fidorious would appear on screen as). Caine as Jasper in CoM... http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTMyNjk5OTI3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzg2NzE3._V1._SX485_SY313_.jpg
Jemmima Rooper as Scout/Clio
Helen Mirren as Dr. Randle (I did think Tilda Swinton too for this role but isn't the Dr retired in the book therefore rendering Swinton perhaps a bit youthful foir this role, so to speak).
Mr Nobody... I'm split between either Paul Bettany or Jude Law here. Though Bettany I think could make an equally good Eric Sanderson.
Simba (My large and pointless ginger tom cat of rather ill temperent and defiance) as Ian.

As to a director??? Danny Boyle perhaps or Paul Greengrass
Saskia
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:52:39 AM

I reckon Ed Norton would make a good Mr Nobody.
Clio I can see being played perhaps by Cate Blanchett. But maybe that's just cos I love Cate and want to see an Australian actress in the film :P
Ooh and do you know who would make a good director? Alejandro González Iñárritu who directed Babel. That is one of my all time favourite movies and it is highly conceptual.
Also Guillermo Del Toro who did Pan's Labyrinth.
Hm both Spanish...
the_cursor
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:45:34 PM

Owen wrote:
First and foremost, it has to be an all-British cast for this movie to retain the authenticity of the book.

Eric Sanderson - Danny Dyer (no, really, think about it, could really work!)
Mr. Nobody - Jude Law.
Scout/Clio - Would best suit a relative unknown, with different colour hair for each of the dual roles.
Trey Fidorous - Stephen Fry.
Dr. Randle - An older lady, possibly the one who plays Victor Meldrew's wife in One Foot in the Grave!?

Can't wait to see it, although as with most brilliant books, the movie will inevitably fail us.

I don't know,
there's a lot of good possibilities for an Eric Sanderson that aren't british. Especially if to capture that awesome sarcastic undertone so well - something I don't think most British actors are able to provide very naturally. (no offense)
M REM
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 1:35:09 AM

Can anyone else see Natalie Portman as Scout/Clio?
timlarsson
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:39:53 PM

M REM: I don't really think of Natalie Portman when I think of scout/clio... I don't know.. I just think she looks too pretty... I'm more in the lines of Kate Winslet...
M REM
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:36:55 AM

Hmm...i kind of imagine scout/clio as more petite, and definitely younger than kate winslet. Besides Kate Winslet already starred in one of my favorite movies of all time, Eternal Sunshine =P...spread the wealth lol
M REM
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:39:07 AM

Oh and another, possibly crazy thought just popped into my head...idk if anyone on this board has seen the TV show called "Dexter", but how about Michael C. Hall as Eric?
LauraPalmer
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:22:05 AM

eric - ewan mcgregor
clio/scout - rachel weisz
littleladyfoxx
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 7:39:00 AM

zooey deschanel-scout for sure
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:48:00 PM

littleladyfoxx wrote:
zooey deschanel-scout for sure

I think that's the most perfect Scout. I've always had trouble imagining someone cast for the role, but you've got it!!!
She's so worthy of it, i think.
Dola
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:32:10 AM

I don't know about all this. For me, it seems that the best films made from books use actors that aren't on the hollywood A-list radar - it needs someone that doesn't bring the character/our perception of that character from another movie with them.

UNderstanding Concept
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:46:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know about all this. For me, it seems that the best films made from books use actors that aren't on the hollywood A-list radar - it needs someone that doesn't bring the character/our perception of that character from another movie with them.
I agree with Dola. I think the only way to film the movie successfully would be with unknown actors.
Richard Mayhew
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 9:31:21 AM

I do think that a relatively unknown British cast would be fantastic for this. And about Zooey Deschanel... I'm not sure. I love her, and think she's adorable, but I don't know if she would be the right fit. And here are my ideas for Fidorous & Nobody: Hywell Bennet & Clive Russel, respectively. Or maybe if they have a part with Mycroft Ward, then I think Bennet could nail it.
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 5:32:47 PM

I agree, I find it exceedingly hard to match actors to characters in this book; in any book, for that matter. There have been a few Eric Sandersons and Scout/Clios that've been proposed that seemed alright for a while, but none will ever match up to the characters. Zooey Deschanel is probably not the right actor for Scout. Though, I will still stick by Guy Pearce as Mr. Nobody. I think he would pull it off very very well. He's the only actor/character I can see working.
Richard Mayhew
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 9:59:52 PM

I'm just afraid they're going to butcher the book, and make some Hollywood spectacle out of it. I don't know. And as far as the soundtrack goes, I think it needs something really epic. Godspeed You! Black Emperor would be fantastic, but Mogwai would also be amazing to score it.
Richard Mayhew
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 10:53:02 PM

And I just had a thought about the director. David Lynch. It think he would be a great fit. His works are very personal bordering on the surreal, and I thikn he would be able to manage bringing the depth of the book to the movie.
Zirenda
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:03:16 PM

Richard Mayhew wrote:
And I just had a thought about the director. David Lynch. It think he would be a great fit. His works are very personal bordering on the surreal, and I thikn he would be able to manage bringing the depth of the book to the movie.

Yeah, I just watched Mulholland Drive, it wasn't a terrific movie on the whole, but it had that surreal feeling in it, the constant threat of something unknown, which would suit The Raw Shark Texts very well. The risk would probably be, that Lynch makes the movie overly ambiguous (yes, it is possible, Mulholland Drive just made no sense). I read a few of the suggested actors, Ewan suits quite well I think, he looks nondescript enough to be the tabula rasa Eric Sanderson. And about Zooey Deschanel, although she may be just a bit too pretty for Scout/Clio, I think those elementary features are there: dark hair, relatively "small" face etc. It will be interesting how the movie will be realised, especially the shark.
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:55:34 PM

Hmm, maybe Zooey would do... But she'd have to not sleep for a couple of weeks to look more like the scout in my head, also, not comb her hair for a while...
I don't think Lynch would be a good director for this movie though! He's way too ambiguous. I'd rather have David Fincher direct it, he has a very good eye for atmospheric scenes and cameras.
Also; I think that it shouldn't be TOO well known actors, but still well known. For example Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey and Kate... Well known, but still made a great preformance and you didn't think about their earlier work (atleast I didn't).
But for Eric... I'm still clueless... I like Gyllenhaal, but it'd feel too hollywood with him I guess... I also like John Cusack, and he did quite a good preformance in 1408, but don't know if he'd fit the bill as Eric...

EDIT: Oh, I think Edward Norton would fit Eric better than mr. nobody actually :)
FriedChicken
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:24:28 AM

i don't think Johnny Deep would be good as eric sanderson, he draws too much attention.

the actress (scout/clio) has to appear to be about 22/23 years old, since scout was probably 17+4

(sorry, i don't know so much actors...)