Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Secret Stuff Options
cgsheldon
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:45:41 PM
Groups: Shoal

MiaVRO wrote:
i dont' know if its just the computer i'm on or what, but the "e" has moved. I thought it had disappeared, but it just packed up and switched homes! (i think) (maybe i'm just crazzzy)

I don't see any difference in the mystery text, but it is driving us all crazy. :)

I've also just checked and the mystery text is present in the source code in all of the pages on Steven's site (work, biography, links).

Links is also a blank page.
CpVb006
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:57:02 PM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

It looks like the "a" in Hall causes the little red window to come up on all the other pages, too.
cgsheldon
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:01:46 AM

cgsheldon wrote:
Good point; it might just then be placeholder text for something that's going to come along later.

Or not; I overlooked 0bs01337's comment about the Raw Shark Facebook group where Steven posted the following:

Steven wrote:
Steven-Hall.org
Source: www.steven-hall.org
w;leq;e e qwelqj lekj l;ekj ;kqle lkqwjelqkwj elkqwj elkq elk qwlk eqwlk e;lqk e;lk ql;ekj qwlkej qwlk eqwlk elk qel kqwlk we qwkejqekljqwlkejwqlkejql ke;jq;lkejqwk ;lejqwl;kejqlkjeklqwje;lkqwjeqlk lel qe qwlk jeqlwk e;k qwel;k qwk qwlk jelwqk
New website :)

S
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:25:22 AM

cgsheldon wrote:
cgsheldon wrote:
Good point; it might just then be placeholder text for something that's going to come along later.

Or not; I overlooked 0bs01337's comment about the Raw Shark Facebook group where Steven posted the following:

Steven wrote:
Steven-Hall.org
Source: www.steven-hall.org
w;leq;e e qwelqj lekj l;ekj ;kqle lkqwjelqkwj elkqwj elkq elk qwlk eqwlk e;lqk e;lk ql;ekj qwlkej qwlk eqwlk elk qel kqwlk we qwkejqekljqwlkejwqlkejql ke;jq;lkejqwk ;lejqwl;kejqlkjeklqwje;lkqwjeqlk lel qe qwlk jeqlwk e;k qwel;k qwk qwlk jelwqk
New website :)

S

I know! See that's the thing. I guess its actually not just a mistake or anything like that. if its been stated, then i'm guessing it means something. But how can you get something out of 7 keys? Th QWERTY of them doesn't even cover the entire keyboard.
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:16:07 PM

CpVb006 wrote:
It looks like the "a" in Hall causes the little red window to come up on all the other pages, too.

aaah yeah! That's intriguing.... This mishmash of letters seems to be popping up everywhere! Has anyone checked Steven's myspace page? That's changed too since my last visit.
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:41:59 PM

so using QWERTY i got the first bit done in rough. I feel like something's missing though. I used the semicolon as its own key, but its not in the example of QWERTY in the book. Does this mean that a) its not the same code? b) there's another step to figuring it out, or c) all punctuation needs to be considered?
I don't know. You take a look at it:
Quote:
w;leq;e
Q E A S D Z X C / O P L Q A Z C V / I O P K A Z X C / W R S D F Z C V / W A S Z X C P L / O P L Q A Z C V / W R S D F Z C V

e
W R S D F Z C V

qwelqj
W A S Z X C P L / Q E A S D Z X C / W R S D F Z C V / I O P K A Z X C / W A S Z X C P L / Y U I H K N M Z

lekj
I O P K A Z X C / W R S D F Z C V / U I O J L M Z X / Y U I H K N M Z

l;ekj
I O P K A Z X C / O P L Q A Z C V / W R S D F Z C V / Y U I H K N M Z

;kqle
O P L Q A Z C V / U I O J L M Z X / W A S Z X C P L / I O P K A Z X C
/ W R S D F Z C V

lkqwjelqkw
I O P K A Z X C / U I O J L M Z X / W A S Z X C P L / Q E A S D Z X C / Y U I H K N M Z / W R S D F Z C V / I O P K A Z X C / W A S Z X C P L / U I O J L M Z X / Q E A S D Z X C

elkqwj
W R S D F Z C V / I O P K A Z X C / U I O J L M Z X / W A S Z X C P L / Q E A S D Z X C / Y U I H K N M Z

elkq
W R S D F Z C V / I O P K A Z X C / U I O J L M Z X / W A S Z X C P L

qwlk

W A S Z X C P L / Q E A S D Z X C / I O P K A Z X C / U I O J L M Z X

eqwlk
W R S D F Z C V / W A S Z X C P L / Q E A S D Z X C / I O P K A Z X C / U I O J L M Z X

e;lqk
W R S D F Z C V / O P L Q A Z C V / I O P K A Z X C / W A S Z X C P L / U I O J L M Z X

e;lk

W R S D F Z C V / O P L Q A Z C V / I O P K A Z X C/ U I O J L M Z X

ql;ekj
W A S Z X C P L / I O P K A Z X C / O P L Q A Z C V / W R S D F Z C V / U I O J L M Z X / Y U I H K N M Z

p.s. Steven, do you like watching us squirm?
cgsheldon
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 9:31:56 PM

The mystery text has been removed from the source code and replaced with this:

Quote:
So you found the interesting characters on the site but now they are gone... where can they be? We control the horizontal. We control the vertical. ;) - WFC w/; lkj
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 9:52:48 PM

'We control the horizontal. We control the vertical' a quote from the outer limits???

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
cgsheldon
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:16:15 AM

Well I think I found out where the text went; this URL was at the bottom of the page source; interestingly the URL doesn't appear to work without the long code at the end of it.

http://www.steven-hall.org/weird/lekj/?W=245159ab-06a9-4efd-aca4-3ad951d68394
0bs01337
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:09:53 AM

Looks like stuff is going to keep moving. Saw the homepage source, but after spending a bit of time googling and turning up nothing the url addition was listed on the secret page. The Bio page still has the code text itself on it. (might have switched these. left too many windows open and wasn't paying attention to which source code I had open. looks like niether holds the link now)

http://www.steven-hall.org/weird/lekj/?W=88af9a8c-a232-474b-b5d0-7eb457a8656d

works for now but I doubt it'll hold.

lkj is the title of the "where did it go?" text on the home page (page info) but I'm not sure how it fits.
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:47:00 PM

Might be stating the obvious, but...
Quote:
So you found the interesting characters on the site but now they are gone... where can they be? We control the horizontal. We control the vertical. ;) - WFC w/; lkj

WFC
= Webster Fragment Collection
So they're behind all this mischief!
cgsheldon
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:57:14 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
WFC
= Webster Fragment Collection
So they're behind all this mischief!

Well spotted Mia; I don't think that was obvious, not with all those other letters.

So has Mr. Webster hacked Mr. Hall's website then?
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:12:26 PM

Scandalous!
Shadow Girl
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:04:13 AM

Whatever was in the last couple links has moved again. Now it all just goes back to steven-hall.org as default.

And there it was, full of everything and overwhelming nothingness.
Leo went on, a false idea resting in a candy wrapper of societal perfection.

He had no idea what it meant to see, what it meant to know.

And there was no way for me to un-know. No way for me to un-see. No way I could ever shield myself in one of those brightly colored candy wrappers of pretend ignorance.

I think I wanted it that way, to be like Leo, but I knew that would never happen.

~A snippet of things to come.
cgsheldon
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:07:00 AM

Shadow Girl wrote:
Whatever was in the last couple links has moved again. Now it all just goes back to steven-hall.org as default.

It's just a white page with the mystery text on it.

If you want to see it for yourself just go to www.steven-hall.org and then click the "View" menu in your browser

Open up "Page Source"; this will open up a separate window of code.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page source and the very last line should be green text that starts weird/lekj... etc.

Copy that text, including the long string of numbers. Do not copy the side arrows <--->

Close the "Page Source" window.

Look in your address bar across the top of your browser where it says steven-hall.org.

Paste the weird/lekj... text and code in front of steven-hall.org so you get steven-hall.org/weird/lekj/... and hit enter.

Note that you seem to be only able to do this once per session on the website; the green text disappears from the page source and only returns (with a new code) once you've left steven-hall.org and cleared out your cookies.
Shadow Girl
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:30:24 PM

I think it has something to do with Chinese characters. I remember reading something online a while back about some program or invention that used 5 regular characters on a keyboard to translate into what they said were the 5 strokes found in Chinese characters. Plus, through some google digging, I found that any page that google said had similar looking text (w;leq;e) were all in Chinese characters when I opened them up.

Also:
Quote:
- WFC w/; lkj

That lkj on the end...I looked that up for a while and found out that lkj is some ISO coding for Remun, a language spoken in Malaysia.

I'm not sure if any of that helps...or if I sound like a complete lunatic, but I suppose it's something.

And there it was, full of everything and overwhelming nothingness.
Leo went on, a false idea resting in a candy wrapper of societal perfection.

He had no idea what it meant to see, what it meant to know.

And there was no way for me to un-know. No way for me to un-see. No way I could ever shield myself in one of those brightly colored candy wrappers of pretend ignorance.

I think I wanted it that way, to be like Leo, but I knew that would never happen.

~A snippet of things to come.
0bs01337
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 7:16:07 PM

Five Stroke method (五笔划)

The Wubi Hua (五笔划), or Five Stroke method, is a Chinese input method for writing text on a computer. It is based on the stroke order of a word, and can be input using only a numerical keypad. Although it is possible to input Traditional Chinese characters with this method, this method is often associated with Simplified Chinese characters.

Each of the five keys from 1 to 5 are assigned a certain type of stroke: 1 for horizontal strokes, 2 for vertical strokes, 3 for downwards right-to-left strokes, 4 for dot strokes or downwards left-to-right strokes, and 5 for all other strokes. To input any character, simply press the keys corresponding to the first four strokes of a character and the key corresponding to the last stroke of a character. For characters four strokes or less, press 0 after the last stroke.

Wubi Hua is one of the easiest to learn methods, but it tends to be vague (a Wubi Hua code will normally match tens or hundreds of characters), and each character has a unique code (thus, characters whose stroke order are frequently transposed due to a person's writing style cannot easily be found).

http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/Chinese-characters.html

If the that's it then things'll be rough. There are more then 6 different characters so it can't be jsut straight substitution, and we've already got multiple possible readings from correct strokes.
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:13:31 PM

Here's what that little e (which now actually forwards to a different page) has for us today:

Quote:

Bob Part 1

John Wayne cocked the rifle and fired again. Another horse fell, sending its rider Catherine-wheeling into the red prairie dirt.
“See?”
Bob took a slow sip of his coffee then put it down next to his chair.
“There is no such thing as a stunt horse, Otherpaul,” he said.
John Wayne lined up another shot.
Bang.
“Go on, John,” said Dixon.
Otherpaul pointed at the screen. “Well, how the fuck to they get them to do that then?”
“I don’t know, do I?” said Bob.
“I reckon they inject them,” Pauli said from the corner of the room.
“Fuck off,” said Otherpaul turning around. “Inject them with what?”
Pauli thought about it.
“With chemicals,” he said.

MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:20:18 PM

Found before by chsheldon:
cgsheldon wrote:
A fragment, salvaged from www.rosstipher.com/StevenHall/secret.html , via Archive.org:

" John Wayne cocked the rifle and fired again. Another horse fell, sending its rider catherine-wheeling into the bright red prairie dirt.
“See?”
Bob took a slow sip of his coffee and reached to put it down beside his chair.
“There is no such thing as a stunt horse, Otherpaul,” he said.
John Wayne lined up another shot.
Bang.
“Go on, John,” said Dixon.
Otherpaul pointed at the screen. “Well how the fuck to they do that then?”
“I don’t know do I?” said Bob.
“I reckon they inject them,” Pauli said from the corner of the room.
“Fuck off,” said Otherpaul turning around. “With what?”
Pauli thought about it.
“With chemicals,” he said."
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:07:04 PM

Yeah. I guess it's just sort of interesting that it's around on the official site now, especially because those links aren't working anymore.

cg, do you have the context this passage appeared in on that site? Like, why it was there, why they had it, etc.?