Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Steven Hall Q&A Options
dhbaynes
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 8:32:38 AM
Groups: Shoal

Hi Steven,
This might sound a little strange, but really this is the only realistic way of talking to you directly. I have just been away on holiday strangely enough to Greece and took Raw Shark with me, and frankly was astounded. After reading merely the first few pages I knew this was going to be special. To be honest by the time I had reached the end of the first Clio flashback I wanted to turn it into a screenplay. On looking in the book for more information on you and your writing i was devastated to discover that the rights had already been optioned. That made me a very sad panda. However to cut to the chase the more I've read the more i feel you could have been writing a character I have been born to play. My ginger cat Riley sadly died just prior to going on holiday and I had almost the same love/hate relationship with him. The conversations between Eric and Clio remind me greatly of light hearted piss taking sessions i have with my girlfriend to name but 2 examples of the similarity. I wont go into anymore details for fear of giving too much of the plot away but I have sought you out to tell you these things because I feel so passionately about the character. Now I understand how the film industry works and you probably have a big famous name involved to play the lead role so this writing is merely on a wing and a prayer. And my mum always taught me: If you dont ask, you dont get. I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to chat and punt on an unknown for the movie then I think I'm your man. Let me know.
Dave Baynes
Un-space Explorer
dhbaynes@gmail.com
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:35:23 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

birdsatemyface wrote:
Oh, I have a question!

Why did you choose Naxos? An excellent decision based on its beauty alone, but I can't help but wonder if there's any significance behind it. Have you been there? Did the island's mythological history play any part in choosing it?

Hi Birds,

Yes, there are several significant reasons for the Light Bulb Fragment to be set on Naxos. The island's mythology is important and is explored briefly in the book, (although it leaves a lot unsaid). The landscape is also important. Plus, yes, I have spent some time there, there which helps when trying to write about a place. It felt very important to get the ‘feel’ of the light bulb locations right – if I hadn’t already been to Naxos, it would have been a lot harder to write those sections, I think.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:45:56 AM

dhbaynes wrote:
Hi Steven,
This might sound a little strange, but really this is the only realistic way of talking to you directly. I have just been away on holiday strangely enough to Greece and took Raw Shark with me, and frankly was astounded. After reading merely the first few pages I knew this was going to be special. To be honest by the time I had reached the end of the first Clio flashback I wanted to turn it into a screenplay. On looking in the book for more information on you and your writing i was devastated to discover that the rights had already been optioned. That made me a very sad panda. However to cut to the chase the more I've read the more i feel you could have been writing a character I have been born to play. My ginger cat Riley sadly died just prior to going on holiday and I had almost the same love/hate relationship with him. The conversations between Eric and Clio remind me greatly of light hearted piss taking sessions i have with my girlfriend to name but 2 examples of the similarity. I wont go into anymore details for fear of giving too much of the plot away but I have sought you out to tell you these things because I feel so passionately about the character. Now I understand how the film industry works and you probably have a big famous name involved to play the lead role so this writing is merely on a wing and a prayer. And my mum always taught me: If you dont ask, you dont get. I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to chat and punt on an unknown for the movie then I think I'm your man. Let me know.
Dave Baynes
Un-space Explorer
dhbaynes@gmail.com

Hey Dave,

Kudos for coming here and asking, sir! My gran taught me the exact same thing. Unfortunately, I'm not your man for this - the film isn't my project and I don't have any say at all on casting etc. Pete Czernin from Blueprint Films told me recently that they're looking to cast names for the lead roles, presumably because having a star or two onboard is the best way to draw down funding and actually get the film made (speaking of which, I'm hearing whispers of a January start, but you didn't hear that from me!).

But I shall try to find out when casting is taking place so that you (and the other folks who have mailed me about this one) can put yourself forward, if you'd still like to. Also, would anyone like me to see if I can get some forum members in as extras? Let me know if you're interested and I'll ask the wonderful Mr C at Blueprint.

S
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:24:59 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Although, I probably won't be in the right place at the right time to be an extra in the movie, that would be freaking cool!
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:50:46 PM

As an extra?! Is that even possible!!!! Man, I'd love that!!!!!!
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:00:21 PM

Damn right..

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:17:03 PM

Sounds like there's interest in this!
I'll make enquiries and let you know what happens...

S
the_cursor
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 11:36:42 PM

As a musician who pursues a "weird" sound and robotic-natured music for weirdos that like to dance and not sleep,
would it be frowned upon to include very obvious nods to your inspiring work in my released records and the like to varying degrees? (namely album/track titles, etc)
I've written a lot of things directly inspired by what i've read, and/or possibly an EP or record of some kind of small collection of related pieces that i'd love to dedicate to your book as it was all "about" it.
Of course, I could just name it all something else and keep it a secret.

C
Omnius
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:07:54 PM

Dear Steven,
I finished your marvelous book just yesterday and I´m a bit confused about the ending. Okay, I get the connection between Scout and Clio, I understand why the Island is in the conceptual world, but what happens than?
Do Scout and Eric become nothing more than a concept? Because if that is true, that will mean they would be there physicaly and the body of Eric would not be found. (that is if you conect the story to Plato's theory of the world of ideas wich I think is verry applyable to this book).
This is just a thing I don't quite get, do they eventually become nothing more but a memmory, or a concept?
hopes and regrets :P
Paul
Jules
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:55:15 PM

Steven

I finished the book yesterday. First class piece of inventive and imaginative fiction. I was drained when I came to put it down for the final time. I never ceased to be stunned by the ideas and new worlds created by writers and storytellers, and I consider you to be one of the finest. Special thanks for pushing the envelope that bit farther when it comes to form and content as well. Un-chapters, eh? You rascal!

With love, and also respect,

Jules
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:40:33 PM

the_cursor wrote:
As a musician who pursues a "weird" sound and robotic-natured music for weirdos that like to dance and not sleep,
would it be frowned upon to include very obvious nods to your inspiring work in my released records and the like to varying degrees? (namely album/track titles, etc)
I've written a lot of things directly inspired by what i've read, and/or possibly an EP or record of some kind of small collection of related pieces that i'd love to dedicate to your book as it was all "about" it.
Of course, I could just name it all something else and keep it a secret.

C

Hello Cursor,

It certainly wouldn’t be frowned upon by me! There is already an EP out there called ‘Ludovician’ I think, as –as far as I know – nobody has come after the people who recorded that.

That said, I’m sure there are legal people sitting in drab offices somewhere who might possibly frown upon something this, so I definitely couldn’t say something like – ‘just do it and we won’t tell them, wink, wink’ - to you.

No, I couldn’t say anything like that, could I? Oh no, that would be wrong…

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:48:56 PM

Omnius wrote:
Dear Steven,
I finished your marvelous book just yesterday and I´m a bit confused about the ending. Okay, I get the connection between Scout and Clio, I understand why the Island is in the conceptual world, but what happens than?
Do Scout and Eric become nothing more than a concept? Because if that is true, that will mean they would be there physicaly and the body of Eric would not be found. (that is if you conect the story to Plato's theory of the world of ideas wich I think is verry applyable to this book).
This is just a thing I don't quite get, do they eventually become nothing more but a memmory, or a concept?
Paul

Hey Paul,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I try never to talk about the end of Raw Shark Texts, I'm afraid. The clues are all there, but it's very much up for the reader to work out what happens to Clio and Eric. I wouldn't want to spoil that part of the book for anyone.

There's a great thread on the ending over in the Raw Shark spoiler forum, which might help you figure a few things out. Also, if you post up your specific Qs in that thread, some of the good folks from around the forums might stop by to chat your ideas over with you (they're nice like that around here!)

Sorry I can't be more help,

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:49:44 PM

Jules wrote:
Steven

I finished the book yesterday. First class piece of inventive and imaginative fiction. I was drained when I came to put it down for the final time. I never ceased to be stunned by the ideas and new worlds created by writers and storytellers, and I consider you to be one of the finest. Special thanks for pushing the envelope that bit farther when it comes to form and content as well. Un-chapters, eh? You rascal!

With love, and also respect,

Jules

Hey Jules,

Thank you!

S
Omnius
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:58:51 PM

Steven Hall wrote:
Omnius wrote:
Dear Steven,
Paul

Hey Paul,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I try never to talk about the end of Raw Shark Texts, I'm afraid. The clues are all there, but it's very much up for the reader to work out what happens to Clio and Eric. I wouldn't want to spoil that part of the book for anyone.

There's a great thread on the ending over in the Raw Shark spoiler forum, which might help you figure a few things out. Also, if you post up your specific Qs in that thread, some of the good folks from around the forums might stop by to chat your ideas over with you (they're nice like that around here!)

Sorry I can't be more help,

S

okay, I understand :)
I kind of figured I had to fill in the cracks myself, I just hoped to get to know your view on it :P
thanks annyway and please, keep writing these kind of books, I am to believe you have invented a total new way of telling a story!
look foreward to your next book,
Paul
hamzaj
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:47:37 PM

What influenced you to write The Raw Shark Texts??
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2009 5:41:15 PM

hamzaj wrote:
What influenced you to write The Raw Shark Texts??

Hi Hamzaj,

I wanted to write a book that would work in different ways for different readers. I wanted Raw Shark texts to be fast and exciting, but also to reward readers with more depth at each level they invested in the book. I'm very keen on rewarding the active reader.

If you mean why do I want to write books - I think part of the reason is that I want to leave something permanent in the world after I've gone (this ties in the themes of Raw Shark too). Book are the writer's children, we hope (at some level) that we'll continue to on live through them. I guess we (I) hope that our time on Earth will be both marked, and useful to others in some way. Phew. That was a bit heavy.

Hope it helps,

S
Richard Mayhew
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 9:53:47 AM

Hi Steven-

First off, I haven't enjoyed reading a book this much in a very long time. I didn't hold out much hope for modern writers as my nose is usually in the classics ... Salinger, Twain, Bradbury, Fitzgerald. But your book gives me hope, and I'm extremely excited to see what you come up with next. Now for my two questions.

1. What book got you initially interested in writing and who were your favorite authors growing up? As a writer myself, it sounds a bit nerdy admitting this, but I read the Hobbit when I was six, and I knew that is exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

2. I read a couple of pages ago that you had never seen Neverwhere. Have you had a chance to get around to it? If so, what did you think?
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:27:12 AM

Richard Mayhew wrote:
Hi Steven-

First off, I haven't enjoyed reading a book this much in a very long time. I didn't hold out much hope for modern writers as my nose is usually in the classics ... Salinger, Twain, Bradbury, Fitzgerald. But your book gives me hope, and I'm extremely excited to see what you come up with next.

Wow, that’s quite some company, Richard. Thank you.

Richard Mayhew wrote:
Now for my two questions.

1. What book got you initially interested in writing and who were your favorite authors growing up? As a writer myself, it sounds a bit nerdy admitting this, but I read the Hobbit when I was six, and I knew that is exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

I read a lot of horror growing up, mainly because those were the books my mum was always reading and they were around. I remember reading Stephen King’s IT when I was nine or ten and being terrified but utterly captivated by it. I loved the shock of the familiar clashing with ‘otherness’ in those horror stories, I still love that in writing.

My dad drove trucks for a living and, around that time, he took me on the road with him for a few days. We were delivering a container to Felixstowe port and my dad was really excited because the biggest ship in the world (a gigantic oil tanker) had docked there. Now, the grown-up me thinks the biggest ship in the world would be quite a thing to see, but back then the ten-year-old me wouldn’t get out of the truck to look because he was reading Stephen King’s The Raft, and he wanted to know how it ended (I remember everything about the trip so clearly, everything except for the ship). My dad has obviously never let me forget this.

I don’t know what book made me want to be a writer, I don’t think it was ever that clear-cut to be honest. I always thought I’d be an artist. I was an artist for a while (I still am sometimes) but the artworks sort of evolved into writing of their own accord. I suppose I should’ve seen it coming, but it was quite a surprising development at the time.

Richard Mayhew wrote:
2. I read a couple of pages ago that you had never seen Neverwhere. Have you had a chance to get around to it? If so, what did you think?

I’ve still never seen Neverwhere! I know I should. One day...

S
IsthereaMissesNobody?1123
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 9:10:39 PM

First off, this is my first real Message Board membership in a long time, and since the Mark Z. Daneilski(sic?) boards somehow won't let me in, this is the next place to go. I would like to start by saying that I love all literature obscure and "difficult" to read, James Joyce's Ulysses was my first then Finnegans wake, Then. nothing, I was searching for something else, something that no Post modern writer has ever conceived of, House of Leaves was for me, and I enjoy not only Mark's writing but his ideas as well. To cut a long story short, I have just read TRST and enjoyed it(I don't have a copy of my own, so I had to rent one from the Library), so I guess my question is really two in one, first; do you think that post modernism is "dead" or evolving, and secondly if PoMo(as I like to write it) is in a new stage, what would you call it? I always loved "Patar Modernism" but "Patar" doesn't mean anything*, so maybe that's why I like it. :)

PS
I will try to find the "Introduce yourself" board so everyone knows me!

* I thought that Patar ment greater in Greek, but....
Saeglopur
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:24:16 PM

Steven:

I need to know:

Where did this come from? What's the story behind it? Please, please, give me a clue. A riddle. A hint. Anything.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/1362671056_cd8cc98131_o.jpg

With regret and also hope,

Saeglopur