Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Steven Hall Q&A Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:29:02 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

IsthereaMissesNobody?1123 wrote:
First off, this is my first real Message Board membership in a long time, and since the Mark Z. Daneilski(sic?) boards somehow won't let me in, this is the next place to go. I would like to start by saying that I love all literature obscure and "difficult" to read, James Joyce's Ulysses was my first then Finnegans wake, Then. nothing, I was searching for something else, something that no Post modern writer has ever conceived of, House of Leaves was for me, and I enjoy not only Mark's writing but his ideas as well. To cut a long story short, I have just read TRST and enjoyed it(I don't have a copy of my own, so I had to rent one from the Library), so I guess my question is really two in one, first; do you think that post modernism is "dead" or evolving, and secondly if PoMo(as I like to write it) is in a new stage, what would you call it? I always loved "Patar Modernism" but "Patar" doesn't mean anything*, so maybe that's why I like it. :)

PS
I will try to find the "Introduce yourself" board so everyone knows me!

* I thought that Patar ment greater in Greek, but....

Hello there,

Good question. Is postmodernism dead or evolving? I would say it's evolving. With my work, I'm very interested in taking postmodern approaches to writing/narrative and crossing them with more traditional ideas about story (drama, plot, character) to create a sort of hybrid. I don't think postmodernism is shocking our 'out there' anymore, it has been integrated and absorbed, the way everything is now integrated and absorbed. Everything is linked, everything is becoming everything else. It's a fascinating time to be a writer.

As for your other question -I've always liked the term 'Slashmodernism,' but that's because I made it up...

S

Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:31:58 PM

Saeglopur wrote:
Steven:

I need to know:

Where did this come from? What's the story behind it? Please, please, give me a clue. A riddle. A hint. Anything.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/1362671056_cd8cc98131_o.jpg

With regret and also hope,

Saeglopur

Hi Saeglopur,

That's an easy one - that's a photo of the bottom two rows of files in he 'Negatives' folder on my hard drive.

S
UNderstanding Concept
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 2:24:12 PM
Groups: Shoal

Saeglopur wrote:
Steven:

I need to know:

Where did this come from? What's the story behind it? Please, please, give me a clue. A riddle. A hint. Anything.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/1362671056_cd8cc98131_o.jpg

Saeglopur
An interesting find indeed. Might I ask where you came across this, Saeglopur?
jakwil
Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2010 9:19:35 AM

Hello Mr Hall,
Getting ready to reread TRST for the third time (which is how I stumbled onto/registered here). Read it for the first time a couplefew years ago after MZD suggested it on his website. Reading TRST for me is like one of those songs you listen to that just takes you back to a certain vibe of a period in the past...love it.

Anyway, my novel the panic; the vomit is now available to buy online - currently shopping for a hardcopy publisher (I'm sure you can relate how much of a headache that can be). If you have some spare time/are looking for an interesting read, I'd be happy to send you a free copy in appreciation of all the mileage I've gotten out of TRST.

Let me know. Synopsis/excerpt available on the book's website at http://myspace.com/panicandvomit.

Thanks,
J
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:31:28 PM

jakwil wrote:
Hello Mr Hall,
Getting ready to reread TRST for the third time (which is how I stumbled onto/registered here). Read it for the first time a couplefew years ago after MZD suggested it on his website. Reading TRST for me is like one of those songs you listen to that just takes you back to a certain vibe of a period in the past...love it.

Anyway, my novel the panic; the vomit is now available to buy online - currently shopping for a hardcopy publisher (I'm sure you can relate how much of a headache that can be). If you have some spare time/are looking for an interesting read, I'd be happy to send you a free copy in appreciation of all the mileage I've gotten out of TRST.

Let me know. Synopsis/excerpt available on the book's website at http://myspace.com/panicandvomit.

Thanks,
J

Hi Jake,

Afraid I've already got five manuscripts on my desk that I've promised folks I'll take a look at (!) but when I've read those, I'll be sure to head over to your MySpace and have a look. Good luck with finding a print publisher!

S
joshmason
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 1:59:00 PM

steven

as per our twitter conversation here is my question pertaining to the non-divergent conceptual loop.

but first some background on the question.

my name is josh mason. i am a audio/visual artists living in florida. some of my work can be seen here
http://www.joshmason.info
i also play music and release records, more information can be found on that here
http://www.sunshineltd.info

long story short music and sound has always been a big part of what i do. i read your book last year and was really excited about
it. but the thing that has stuck with me the longest has been the part about the conceptual loop. being a sound artist, this fascinated me.

so...

what i am proposing to do is actually try and make one based on the instructions that eric 1 gave to eric 2. in the letter he/you mention that its almost impossible. but i would like to see if it can be done.

but...

i am a little confused on a section within that letter and the more i have thought about it i realize that it makes all the difference in the end.

"the person who records tape 1 must forward three blank tapes and their own recorded tape to the person who is to record tape 2...all four recorded tapes must then be sent back to person 1"

now does this imply that it is impossible for you to ever get the tapes? or is/was eric 2 the first person?
UNderstanding Concept
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:37:35 PM

Josh,
Letter three says that the person to use the loop must have no contact with the four people who made the recordings, and the four people must not know each other outside of transferring the tapes. This means it could not have been Eric 2 who made any of the conceptual loop and it is also unlikely that it was Eric 1. I too am intrigued by the non-divergent conceptual loop and often have wondered how it can be constructed. Let us know how it works out for you.
nov3tj
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:16:18 PM

Steven,

First, let me just say that I liked the book quite a bit. As a man who's girlfriend got mad at him because he wanted to name his cat "Paul" I felt like I could relate to it.

Now for the questions:

1. The First Eric Sanderson sends other people's letters to the second Eric Sanderson and one of them says "Steven Hall" "#York Street". Is that really your address? I live in California so there's no way I can stalk you from here, but I'm just curious whether it was or not.

2. If the studio asked you to cast the movie version, who would you pick to play the characters? I imagined Samuel L. Jackson as Eric, and Tom Hanks in drag as Scout. That's not weird is it? :)

3. Lastly, my girlfriend is upset with me at the moment(not about the cat but something else) and I was going to make her dinner to try to make up for it. (I'm a sweet guy I know) What do you think I should make her? DO you have any experience with this kind of stuff?

I hope my questions aren't too weird, but this is my introduction to the forum and I'm a little nervous. I did love the book. Thanks.
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 12:20:33 PM

joshmason wrote:
steven

as per our twitter conversation here is my question pertaining to the non-divergent conceptual loop.

but first some background on the question.

my name is josh mason. i am a audio/visual artists living in florida. some of my work can be seen here
http://www.joshmason.info
i also play music and release records, more information can be found on that here
http://www.sunshineltd.info

long story short music and sound has always been a big part of what i do. i read your book last year and was really excited about
it. but the thing that has stuck with me the longest has been the part about the conceptual loop. being a sound artist, this fascinated me.

so...

what i am proposing to do is actually try and make one based on the instructions that eric 1 gave to eric 2. in the letter he/you mention that its almost impossible. but i would like to see if it can be done.

but...

i am a little confused on a section within that letter and the more i have thought about it i realize that it makes all the difference in the end.

"the person who records tape 1 must forward three blank tapes and their own recorded tape to the person who is to record tape 2...all four recorded tapes must then be sent back to person 1"

now does this imply that it is impossible for you to ever get the tapes? or is/was eric 2 the first person?

Hi Josh,

It's pretty much as Understanding Concept says: for the loop to be successful, you must not know, or have any contact with, the four people who create the tapes. Not even to supply instructions.

Very interested to see how you progress. Will you keep us posted?

S

Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 12:31:58 PM

nov3tj wrote:
Steven,

First, let me just say that I liked the book quite a bit. As a man who's girlfriend got mad at him because he wanted to name his cat "Paul" I felt like I could relate to it.

Now for the questions:

1. The First Eric Sanderson sends other people's letters to the second Eric Sanderson and one of them says "Steven Hall" "#York Street". Is that really your address? I live in California so there's no way I can stalk you from here, but I'm just curious whether it was or not.

2. If the studio asked you to cast the movie version, who would you pick to play the characters? I imagined Samuel L. Jackson as Eric, and Tom Hanks in drag as Scout. That's not weird is it? :)

3. Lastly, my girlfriend is upset with me at the moment(not about the cat but something else) and I was going to make her dinner to try to make up for it. (I'm a sweet guy I know) What do you think I should make her? DO you have any experience with this kind of stuff?

I hope my questions aren't too weird, but this is my introduction to the forum and I'm a little nervous. I did love the book. Thanks.

Hi Nov3tj,

1) No, that's not my address, although it's an important combination of words and numbers for me.

2) erm... I don't tend to think about actors too much, to be honest. Although James McAvoy might be a good Eric.

3) If she's still mad with you, you might well be in trouble. But - if she's still talking to you, take her out to dinner. It's too late for home cooking. Or send flowers. Flowers are good.

Your questions were both weird and wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the book!

S

IsthereaMissesNobody?1123
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 6:44:35 PM

I don't know if I am allowed to ask a second question; but, I was wondering what document (writing) program did you use to make the initial text format, and whether it can be downloaded in American computers...
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 10:22:09 AM

IsthereaMissesNobody?1123 wrote:
I don't know if I am allowed to ask a second question; but, I was wondering what document (writing) program did you use to make the initial text format, and whether it can be downloaded in American computers...

Hi there,

All the sharks were made in Microsoft Word. Some have been manipulated a little bit (rotation, scale,darkening etc) after they were made, but they are pretty much just word text.

S
Nutmeg
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:23:12 AM

Hi there, Steven.

I just finished reading TRST for the first time, and I have to admit, it sat on my bookshelf for a long time because the first time I flicked through it, I saw what I just recently learned where the typographical representations of the Ludovician, and I have to confess that I was terrified! I didn't think I'd be able to handle anything of that calibre at the time, but a weekend of travelling allowed me plenty of time to read through the book and I have to say that I'm astounded.

It's been a long time since I read a book that has both compelled me to finish it A.S.A.P and confused me so much that I want to read it again instantly, just to try and better grasp the ideas. Your ideas are original but familiar, and the book is both compelling yet grounded. It's an awkward thing to describe, but I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone I know who loves to read just so I could have someone to discuss it with! And I've just found out that there's more... I'm completely overwhelmed, to be honest.

What I'm wondering is if you have any tours through the UK planned at the moment? It would be absolutely fantastic to meet you and get my book signed, so if you're ever up in the North-East, it would be wonderful for a heads up. And can I just commend you on your dedication to this forum. It's wonderful to see authors taking an active interest in what their readers think!

Looking forward to finding the Negative Chapters, and to reading your future Novels,

Rachael
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 8:57:56 PM

Question from @foldingsuns via Twitter:

Quote:
@stevenha11. Thinking of getting a Ludovician tattoo. I was wondering if you'd mind that at all. With all the copyright mumbo jumbo...

Hey there,

No, I wouldn't mind at all. Quite a few people out there already have them!
One thing though - if you do get a Ludovician tattoo, you have to add a picture of it to this thread so we can all see it. That's just the rule.

All best wishes,

Steven

Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 10:37:56 PM

Nutmeg wrote:
Hi there, Steven.

I just finished reading TRST for the first time, and I have to admit, it sat on my bookshelf for a long time because the first time I flicked through it, I saw what I just recently learned where the typographical representations of the Ludovician, and I have to confess that I was terrified! I didn't think I'd be able to handle anything of that calibre at the time, but a weekend of travelling allowed me plenty of time to read through the book and I have to say that I'm astounded.

It's been a long time since I read a book that has both compelled me to finish it A.S.A.P and confused me so much that I want to read it again instantly, just to try and better grasp the ideas. Your ideas are original but familiar, and the book is both compelling yet grounded. It's an awkward thing to describe, but I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone I know who loves to read just so I could have someone to discuss it with! And I've just found out that there's more... I'm completely overwhelmed, to be honest.

What I'm wondering is if you have any tours through the UK planned at the moment? It would be absolutely fantastic to meet you and get my book signed, so if you're ever up in the North-East, it would be wonderful for a heads up. And can I just commend you on your dedication to this forum. It's wonderful to see authors taking an active interest in what their readers think!

Looking forward to finding the Negative Chapters, and to reading your future Novels,

Rachael

Thank you Rachael,

Afraid I've no plans for any readings until the second book comes out (spending all my time writing at the moment) but I'll be sure to keep the 'calendar' thread on here updated with anything I'm doing, and I'll come up to the North-East if I can!

Thanks so much for all your kind words,

Steven
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:04:40 AM

Hello,
Just to let you know that this thread is still very much open for business!
I'll do my best to A whatever you decide to Q...

S
geedoubleyou
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 1:29:58 PM

Hi Steven. I met you a few times when RST first came out after A-LS at Canongate gave me a preview copy to read (several signed copies still adorn my bookcase). I got to thinking about this forum today and was pleased to find it still up-and-running (albeit in a slightly different guise). Do you have anything in the pipeline just now? (I appreciate that since A-L has departed for sunnier climes I shall have to pay for my own copy and make do without the signatures).

Cheers,
Gordon
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 12:02:36 PM

geedoubleyou wrote:
Hi Steven. I met you a few times when RST first came out after A-LS at Canongate gave me a preview copy to read (several signed copies still adorn my bookcase). I got to thinking about this forum today and was pleased to find it still up-and-running (albeit in a slightly different guise). Do you have anything in the pipeline just now? (I appreciate that since A-L has departed for sunnier climes I shall have to pay for my own copy and make do without the signatures).

Cheers,
Gordon

Hi Gordon,
I remember! Good to hear from you.
Lots in the pipeline, including my new book which has been (and still is) an epic struggle for me, but I'm making ground!
I'm sure we can still sort of the signatures when it lands.
S
geedoubleyou
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 7:40:00 AM

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the response.
The RST set in motion for me a bit of an epic voyage of reading that took in Murakami, Kafka, Buzzati, Dostoevsky, Camus and Sartre (amongst many others). It was really integral to (or the starting point for) the direction and subject matter of the past five years of reading for me.
So, I guess I just want to say thank you for that and good luck with the next book!
Gordon
asaf
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:19:10 PM

Greetings from a huge fan in Israel. Even with the ease of the internet, I truly feel privileged for writing you directly. Thank you for putting up this site.

I have two questions for your Q&A invitation:
(1) I've seen the research stack photo. One hell of a teaser trailer it is. Can you please list books that helped you when you worked on the Raw Shark?
(2) Mindblown, I started looking for more books of the... well, with my limited english I'll call it "genre", but please don't take it in its degrading meaning. I mean - never mind. So anyway, I've read the House of Leaves and loved it, and I've been a Borges (and Eco) fan for a while. And I want to have some more, sir. Is there more? What would you suggest I read next?

a.