Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Best/Worse adaptations of books to film etc. Options
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:19:04 PM

Groups: Shoal

Thought this might be fun to do, might bring up some useful ideas on adapting TRST?

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 11:13:02 PM

I have to say it...
the Golden Compass
....bad...
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 11:18:37 PM

good...
i think that the English Patient was a good adaptation.
But the love story was again played up in the film.
There's something going on with movies and love stories
i don't know what it is :P ;)

p.s. good thread. it's going to be fun!
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 11:30:44 PM

ok... i really need to start posting all of my ideas at the SAME TIME
so, with the English Patient, and Slumdog Millionaire (and also Practical Magic atually,) the love stories have been really key, although they're not the MAIN themes of the books. Do you think this is gonig to happen to Raw Shark? and if so, how would you feel about that? We know that there's the imporance of love in the novel, but for many people that's not what its about, so, what do you think?
...because honey, LOVE seemse to sell...
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:27:49 AM

Interview with a Vampire, they did a great job, saw the film first then read the book and continued to read them, casting was great (bizarre to imagine Kirsten Dunst as Claudia now).
Also Queen of the damned, great I think as a stand alone but obviously nothing like the books (gutted they overlooked/changed The Vampire Lestat which is my favourite of all of them).

Broken_Drum
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:44:20 PM

I think Wild At Heart is a great adaptation. Lynch managed to follow the plot (although he did change the ending) and allow room for his own additions.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Shadow Girl
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 3:38:12 PM

Bad:
Queen of the Damned... This movie made me want to cry. I like the novel, I really do...but this movie went BEYOND butchering. They destroyed Lestat and left the entire twin business in the dark. Even if I put the whole based-on-a-novel part aside...the movie isn't that great by itself. It was made ONLY so people could watch Aaliyah and Stuart Townsend run around without shirts on.

Beowulf... Yeah....noooo.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix... How can you take the longest book of a series and make the shortest movie out of it? They did.

Good:
Interview with the Vampire... This is probably only as good as it is because they got Anne Rice to deal with it. A few bits here and there are different but I still love it.

2001: A Space Oddessy... I really do like this movie...and the book. Although my dad doesn't quite get the whole "floating space baby" at the end and will say that this movie is GOD AWFUL. I think it's a great adaptation.

The DaVinci Code... Now I may not be thrilled...or very much enjoy reading this book or watching this movie; however, I think the film adaptation sticks well to the book.

And there it was, full of everything and overwhelming nothingness.
Leo went on, a false idea resting in a candy wrapper of societal perfection.

He had no idea what it meant to see, what it meant to know.

And there was no way for me to un-know. No way for me to un-see. No way I could ever shield myself in one of those brightly colored candy wrappers of pretend ignorance.

I think I wanted it that way, to be like Leo, but I knew that would never happen.

~A snippet of things to come.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 5:36:46 PM

Shadow Girl wrote:
Bad:
Queen of the Damned... This movie made me want to cry. I like the novel, I really do...but this movie went BEYOND butchering. They destroyed Lestat and left the entire twin business in the dark. Even if I put the whole based-on-a-novel part aside...the movie isn't that great by itself. It was made ONLY so people could watch Aaliyah and Stuart Townsend run around without shirts on.

Fair point, I liked it but only if I didn't associate it with the book.

Dune? I think possibly for me a rare occasion of preffered the film to the book

purplefiggy
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 6:45:24 AM

to revive the topic, I thought Big Fish was better as a movie than as a book. One of those very rare occasions...
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:38:24 PM

I just finished Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker, and seen the movie (Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen and Renee Zellweger.) That's one of the greatest book to movie adaptations i've read (and seen). The movie is almost verbatim the book, sparing only a handful of chapters and some minor characters and events. Alot of the dialogue was directly from the book itself!! This is probably one of the rare instances where a book can act almost entirely as a screenplay. The book was fantastic, and I can't wait to continue the series!
the_cursor
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 11:10:45 AM

I, Robot was to me the book-to-film crime of the century..or whatever.

Such an amazing detailed universe created by Mr Asimov comes to theaters in the form of a terrible CGI-ripe action film bearing the name of one of the books in the series and the robot laws (and Will Smith!) and somehow it wasn't just a weird crazy dream I had one night.

CpVb006
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:45:54 PM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

I'm of the opinion that Fight Club is a much better film than it is a book. Fincher is undoubtedly talented and, in my opinion, turned something generally mediocre and scattered into a sharp final product that carried more style and weight than the source material.

And like people above have said, the Harry Potter movies have been a real mixed bag, but an interesting one to talk about. The first two, the Chris Columbus ones, are really faithful to the book, but as films, don't have much going for them. They are basically like watching the book, which depending on what you were before seeing them, changes what you think of it. As a Harry Potter fan in 6th grade at the time, that was all I wanted.

The third film, the Cuarón one, expectedly, is probably the best film, though at the expense of taking some liberties with the story and the Harry Potter universe. He's a director who obviously knows what he's doing, though, and so he made things work.

The fourth film was basically a travesty, managing to ignore all artistry and character in an attempt to force a hugely abridged version of the book into a short running time. It's "plot, plot plot, oh hey here's some plot, have some more plot, END" structure was really frustrating.

As for the fifth film, I disagree with Shadow Girl. I know it's the longest book in the shortest time, yes, and that was the source of the problems I have with the fourth film, but I think it was handled much, much more deftly this time. It somehow manages to make it's own identity (remember the opening sequence with Harry and Dudley at the playground? Good stuff.) while not bending things too much. And it still manages to capture the characters (especially angst Harry) much better than the film before it did.

I haven't seen the 6th yet. : c

Phew, long post.
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:10:28 PM

I think the harry potter films leaves out too much plot :(
I agree that the fourth film was like plot plot plot end. but everything was so watered out. If the books are a cake, the films are just the icing. so much deeper story elements gets left out. and just the general sense of the plot is revealed.
now i'll take an example and this is a really minor spoiler of like.. the fourth book / film...
warning.
in the film, harry falls in love with the girl, looks at her a few times blushing.. then they kiss and date, or something.. whilst in the book, you almost get the same feelings for her as harry has, the tension building up, will he ask her out, is he too afraid, will he get let down.. it's all more built up compared to the movie. As is the rest in the movie, "Oh we should have a love scene here.. ok... we should have a death scene here.. ok... we should have this and that too... check!"

And CpVb006, the 6th film is awesome!
Stef_Kennedy
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:37:02 PM

The Time Travelers Wife = Absolutely the WORST book to movie adaptation I have seen...which makes me sad, because I loved the book
Dola
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:37:24 AM

BEST: Orwell's "1984" - John Hurt in the film adaptation - About as true to the film as you'll ever see but moreover, is so brilliantly done such that they don't need to be compared to one another.
WORST: Annie Proulx's "The Shipping News" - that's what happens when Hollywood gets its teeth into a super book that maybe shouldn't be a movie in the first place?
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:38:03 PM

Oh oh! I nearly forgot: Fight Club! That's a really good film adaptation I think.
Richard Mayhew
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 9:44:37 AM

Queen Of The Damned was terrible. The casting was all wrong, and completely butchered the plotline. I agree with the Harry Potter as well. It's just hard to fit so much of a book into such a short amount of time. As a complete fan, I get mad when they alter or completely ignore what I think are important plotlines, but for the most part, enjoyable. Jaws I think was a great adaptation, although they changed the story for the film. On that note, The Shining is probably the best movie adaptation, possibly ever. The movie far surpasses the book. Jack Nicholson jut brings so much depth and pathos to the character. And one more bad one ... Farenheit 451. Almost as terrible as QOTD. They changed the plotline a bit too much for my liking, and the acting is just horrible and robotic. They changed one of Bradbury's best works into a monster.
heartbreak
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 9:51:50 AM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

The Shining. What an incredible movie. You could probably add a few more of King's adaptions to the good movie list as well. The Shawshank Redemption. The Green Mile. Stand By Me.
Richard Mayhew
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 10:06:55 AM

The Green Mile was incredible. Carrie is also another great one. Salem's Lot is also good, although the ending is not nearly as good in the movie as it is in the book. And I have to agree about Golden Compass. I love the books, and was hoping the movie would come halfway to being as great. Sadly, it was just terrible.
Link
Posted: Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:48:31 PM

timlarsson wrote:
Oh oh! I nearly forgot: Fight Club! That's a really good film adaptation I think.

Totally agree. Just read the book, which is a pretty damn good read in itself, but the film seems to sharpen it all up somehow. The ending to the film is much better as well.

I thought The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy was brilliant, even in the places where it deviated from the plot of the book; which I thought worked really well. Steven Fry has the perfect voice for the Guide and Martin Freeman seemed born to play Arthur Dent.