Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Dear Producers, please don't cut... Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:35:30 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

I'm imagining that, given the nature of adaptations, not all of the characters from The Raw Shark Texts are going to make it across from the book to the film, so I'm really interested to see who the 'must have' characters are for you guys...

Just for the sake of this post, let's assume that only Eric, Scout, Clio and the Ludovician are safe.

Which is your fifth 'must have' character?

Which other characters do you think the film people should keep?

Are there any characters you'd be especially disappointed to lose?

Are there any characters you think should be cut?

Also - are there any inanimate 'characters' (ie - the Orpheus, Eric's Jeep etc), scenes or locations that you think might be at risk in the adaptation, but that you'd be very keen to preserve?

As you know, I don't have a say in what happens with the film, so I'm not in a position grant any requests, but - if this post gets a lot of responses, I'll print the thread out and take it to the film producers next time I see them, so they'll at least know what you're all thinking.

Looking forward to your thoughts

S

Broken_Drum
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:25:08 PM

Groups: Shoal

I think they certainly couldn't leave out Ian or Fidorous and I'd be very sad to see Mr. Nobody be cut from the film. A lot of plot would disappear with the emission of Mycroft Ward also... In fact I see most of the characters as more or less indispensable, of course if I hadn't read the book before seeing the film I'm not sure how it would affect me.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:43:24 PM

First off, i love the title of this thread!!
Fifth must-have character... probably... Yeah, a toss up between Ian and Fidorus, like B_D. Fidorous would probably be more central to the plot, but really, it would break my heart to have Ian gone. The cat is needed. There's no two ways about it.
I'd hate to see Mr. Nobody gone. I think that, in the book, his apperance really made me go "wow". And it would be really cool to see him adapted into film.
Dr. Randle i'd also love to see in the film. Because she could be done really really well, with her monstrosity of a hair-do and monotonous voice. Yes, i'd love to see her.
Characters to be cut? That's a pretty scandalous question, there.
I could see Aunty Ruth's husband John missing. Although his inital opposition to Ian was pretty great... I really love Aunty Ruth though.
Well, if the word tunnels of un-space could be an inatimate "character" i would not want to see that gone. Fidorous's "lair" is pretty key. The dome of telephone books? Crucial.
And i'd really like to see Darwin's text in there, with the "plant"... Just to tie in the book with the film. I think that would be cool.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:31:31 PM

Well... Although I can't believe I am saying this but as an adaptation/based on book it could (at a pinch) be made without Ian and Fidorus (ouch), but it must have Mr Nobody if just for information relating to Mycroft Ward and the dramatic entrance of Scout. I think the jeep is integral as is Aunty Ruth and I agree with MiaVRO that we must have Thera and we cannot lose the bench.

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:04:21 AM

Okay, so that's -

2 votes for Fidorous,

2 votes for Ian,

1 vote for Mr Nobody,

1 vote or the Jeep, and

1 vot for Aunty Ruth

- as the 'must-have' characters that you want in the film.

Keep em coming folks. As I said, if we get a nice number of responses on this thread, I will mail it to the producers so they can see your thoughts...

Speak now of forever hold your peace ;)

S
Mick_Malone
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 1:50:20 PM

I don't see how it's possible to cut Fidorus, so he's definitely there. Mr. Nobody was one of the more entertaining parts of the book, so I'd be sad to see that cut.
Mr. Somebody
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:59:52 PM

I agree, Fidorous is key to the plot, but Ian is one of the only constants in the book. So... Fidorous (Sigh).
skitch929
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:04:54 AM

As pivotal as Fidorous is to the plot, I don't see any way Ian can be dropped from the story. As someone else said, Ian is one of the only constants in the book, and other than Dr Randle the cat is the only other character in Eric's life for the first 100 pages of the book. He is also the only reason Eric decides not to give up and let himself be washed away in the storm before his stay at Aunty Ruth's hotel. Eric's conversation with Ian in Chapter 34 (The Last Stand) would be one of the most tearjerking parts of the film as well, as it almost brought me to tears just reading it (or maybe I was still just utterly saddened by the previous chapter).

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Fidorous to be included as well, as he plays an important role in helping Eric understand what is happening and he also helms the Orpheus. However, if necessary I could see the film merging Fidorous' parts (explaining things to Eric, providing the boat) with Scout, and having Scout just say she knows everything because of the things people have taught her. I also think the filmmakers might run into some trouble trying to explain and portray Fidorous' facility, with the whole "Thera" map and the cathedral of phone books.

So to clarify, that's a strong vote for Ian on my part.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:18:56 AM

Thanks for your thoughts skitch,

When I toured with the book I probably spent more time talking about Ian the cat than anything or anyone else. People likd him so much that we were even thinking of starting a fan club (there are badges and everything).

S
blanckien
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:41:58 PM

i hope fidorous's place isn't cut! it was one of the coolest parts of the book to visualize for me. but that'd mean you'd probably have to do the scenes in greece to put the map in context, so depending on the movie's budget, doing ALL those scenes might be hard.

also, ian. but i doubt you'd ever agree to cutting ian, even if it were a choice between cutting fidorous or ian. though i wonder if gavin could make an appearance in a negative scene or something...

oh wow, what if some of the unknown negatives are in the movie or trailers? hadn't thought of that. and i'm guessing this negative-hunting business will start picking up steam again soon if your second book is due for 2010. ^^
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:42:26 PM

Hey Blanckien, welcome back.

blanckien wrote:
i doubt you'd ever agree to cutting ian, even if it were a choice between cutting fidorous or ian. though i wonder if gavin could make an appearance in a negative scene or something...

You're right, but I have no control over the film, so they could cut Eric or the shark if they wanted to and there's nothing I could do about it! That's the strange and unsettling nature of the adaptation process, I’m in the same boat (as it were) as everyone else. Like you guys, I just have to trust the producers to get it right...

blankien wrote:
i'm guessing this negative-hunting business will start picking up steam again soon if your second book is due for 2010. ^^

It's all hands to the pumps with Book Two at the mo, but there WILL be more new TRST negatives. There already are some, in a sense. Maybe one or two of the unique lost ones could still turn up on ebay.

S
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:43:33 PM

Ouch, I'll have to go on the same track as everyone else; Cutting Fidorous would leave a huge hole in the movie (as in: why does he even go out searching for Fidorous if he isn't there?), and at the same time, Ian must be left untouched. As Skitch said, he's the reason Eric doesn't give up.

Mr. Nobody gave me the creeps... which I think is a good thing. He has to be there as well. He was a punch in the face for me, shouting "heeey! it's not a walk in the park"...

Tough choice, but I think Ian is the one to keep.
Fidorous can be there "in speech", people can talk about him an such without ever seeing him.
And mr Nobody is a nice addition but not really crucial.
CommJam
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 5:05:26 PM

Please don't remove the British Isles. Please set the film in the UK, rather than transposing it to the US.

And keep Ian and Nobody.
Mr.F
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:58:42 PM

This isn't so much who to CUT, so much as, how would you cast.. how would they have Scout and Clio played out? As the same person or two? This was a huge question throughout the book.. Is Scout and Clio the same? It would be a simple answer once you put pictures to the names, but that wouldn't be any good.
Also, Clio's part, on the island, was only about how she and Eric got along so well and joked around, etc., there's no real story to it, no plot.. and in short, for the movies sake it could be summed up in a few words without the need of the visuals of 'who she is, what does she look like'

And so, I say if you're going to cut somebody, cut Clio -the actress.. and have her only mentioned in words.

Also, the entire hotel is unnecessary, that can be cut (at least the characters, probably the whole thing tho).
And it's difficult to visually explain what emotions a cat is showing, and that was what was so cute and fun about Ian.. so he's either cut.. or turned into a dog. (Dogs, i think, are easier to communicate some basic emotional thoughts in film).

The part about the samurais.. cut

Props: I wouldn't be too surprised to see the letters be replaced by something more techy- ...emails or videos (or whatever the hot new apple product is?? eww, product placement is bad). The light bulb fragments and qwerty system may be a bit confusing and complicated to be explained in film.

Everything above is just me trying to think logically in the film world. But let me just say, I LOVED the book. I never heard of book prior to picking it up, I was just interested in the title and was intrigued by the flip book shark. so I bought it and somewhere in the middle of the first page I was already in love with it. With that being said, I would hate to see any of characters, scenes ..or anything cut from the film.

P.S. I would love to see the film have the shark actually made up of text.
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:37:56 PM

Mr.F wrote:
Ian.. so he's either cut.. or turned into a dog. (Dogs, i think, are easier to communicate some basic emotional thoughts in film).

Blasphemy!!!!
justoffthecoast
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 6:10:17 PM

I would hate to see either Fidorous or Ian cut from the movie. I'm not entirely sure how Ian's moods and "expressions" would be adapted to film, but he's definitely a vital character...He's Eric's only companion up until he meets Scout. Not only would Fidorous be too difficult to remove while maintaining a similar story, but his film counterpart would be so unbelievably interesting and awesome that it would be a crime to cut him. I could see certain parts of his lair requiring modification to work in film (as much as I'd love to see an adaptation of the Thera maze), but it's more or less impossible to cut him since the quest to find Fidorous is so central to the novel. The transformation of the water glass and Orpheus would be great to see adapted to film.

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that perhaps Clio should be mentioned only in words. Allowing the audience to decide for themselves what Clio looks like leaves the relationship between Clio and Scout fully open to interpretation, which I really loved about the book.

EDIT: and LOTS of un-space footage should be included!
Owen
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 1:06:20 PM

The film must not, repeat NOT, lose Fidorous, Ian, Eric, Scout/Clio, Mr. Nobody, Dr.Randle or Ludovician.
Those are all integral to the plot. The very idea of losing any of them renders the film unwatchable, at least to me.
Tim Stanton
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 7:13:07 PM

I have to weigh in and voice a vote for Ian! He is too key to the story line from start to finish. As far as the others, I agree that Fidorous and Randle should be there and I think that Mr Nobody is so pivotal a point in the story that it would be hard to not include him. Plus, visually, it would be pretty cool to see...

Although I am from the States, I wholeheartedly agree that the film should remain thoroughly British in setting, cast, etc
DeludedDude
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:22:36 AM

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now (I read the book when it came out and fell in love straight away) but this topic has inspired me to finally contribute.

Whilst its a really interesting discussion, I honestly think that there really aren't all that many characters in TRST relative to a lot of books and movies, and so I'm just going to be boring and say that no one should be cut, at least not merely for the sake of it.
I think Mr. F made a pretty good point about Scout/Clio - trying to figure out if they are the same person is kind of an essential part of the book, and so some careful thought needs to be put into the adaptation of that!

Fidorous is crucial in my opinion too, and Ian absolutely CANNOT be cut or turned into a dog!

Steven Hall wrote:
When I toured with the book I probably spent more time talking about Ian the cat than anything or anyone else. People likd him so much that we were even thinking of starting a fan club (there are badges and everything).

Thanks to TRST, when I eventually finish university/travelling/etc and settle down somewhere where I can have pets, my first cat is going to be called Ian.
tornadoallie
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:39:55 PM

I find it interesting no one seems to find Randle an important character, for the first major section she was the ONLY other character, but I suppose in the long run she's not as important as Fidorous. Personally I think both Fidorous and Ian are un-cutable. I suppose Mr. Nobody isn't as major, but I thought his part was pretty monumental.

The book is so conceptual I'm concerned about how that will translate into film, but hopefully they'll get a good director who will find a way.

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."