Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Survey Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:02:53 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Hello folks,

If you could take a sec to answer this survey, I'd be very grateful.

thanks!

S

ps - and this one too!
benedict
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:24:04 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

interesting survey! call me old-fashioned, but i don't think i would ever prefer reading an e-book or a book on-line on a screen to a "paper" book. the excitement and anticipation of picking up a new (preferably hardback!) novel from a favourite author can never be replaced, as well as the experiences of just going to a bookstore (or library) and browsing.
heartbreak
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:38:10 PM

I agree with Benedict. Actual physical books will never be replaced by ebooks for me. Ebooks just don't have the same feel, weight, color, smell.

An issue I had with one of the questions was how much I would pay for an ebook. Ellimist and I have talked about it many times, paying the same price for an ebook and an actual book seems a bit ridiculous. The only reason I can justify for paying the same amount for both, is if the author is getting a bigger cut of the ebook sales. Considering there are no materials, no storage, no printing, no shipping. Yes it has to be formatted to be readable but does that really balance the cost of producing an actual book?
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:43:45 PM

Groups: Shoal

After all that, I'm still not sure I understand what an e-book is...
I agree 110% with benedict and heartbreak, nothing BUT a book will never REPLACE a book for me. (Hello, work at a book store!)
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:56:23 PM

heartbreak wrote:
I agree with Benedict. Actual physical books will never be replaced by ebooks for me. Ebooks just don't have the same feel, weight, color, smell.

An issue I had with one of the questions was how much I would pay for an ebook. Ellimist and I have talked about it many times, paying the same price for an ebook and an actual book seems a bit ridiculous. The only reason I can justify for paying the same amount for both, is if the author is getting a bigger cut of the ebook sales. Considering there are no materials, no storage, no printing, no shipping. Yes it has to be formatted to be readable but does that really balance the cost of producing an actual book?

I'd agree - paying print price for an ebook is crazy, I think they're way too expensive at the moment.

Also, I don't think that paper books are ever going to be replaced, but there is def a place for the ebook - it'd be great to get a free ebook with your limited first edition hardback, for example, so you wouldn't have to damage a valuable book. There's also the fact that over a million books ( some of them impossible to find in print) are available completely free in ebook format... I think a lot of people are so worried about having their books taken away (which will never happen, I don't think) that they're missing some very cool possibities here!
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:32:50 PM

I guess I understand that. The idea of a "playlist" of short stories was intriguing to me. And the accessibility of an e-book would be pretty great. As well as the ability to keep them in order. That's nice too. I think it would be pretty amazing to have an entire library literally in your pocket, on your iPod or cellphone.
benedict
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:29:50 PM

Steven Hall wrote:

Also, I don't think that paper books are ever going to be replaced, but there is def a place for the ebook - it'd be great to get a free ebook with your limited first edition hardback, for example, so you wouldn't have to damage a valuable book. There's also the fact that over a million books ( some of them impossible to find in print) are available completely free in ebook format... I think a lot of people are so worried about having their books taken away (which will never happen, I don't think) that they're missing some very cool possibities here!

i agree that there would be some cool possibilities with an ebook. i would definitely consider buying the free ebook with a limited first edition hardback, especially if the ebook contained additional materials such as deleted scenes (passages); additional illustrations; author's notes, drafts, clues, interpretations, etc. the ebook would be like the additional bonus disc that comes with some dvds.

that being said, i would still read the paper version, and if i liked the book that much... i would buy an additional "reading" copy of it for everyday use so that the limited first edition hardback would not be damaged!

Chimerical
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:57:37 PM

I have noticed on Amazon that a kind of ebook has started. (I can't remember the actual product name. Kindle, maybe.) Anyway, if I was to read something off i screen I think it would reduce the amount I would be reading at once. I could probably sit down and read a book for a few hours while if I was reading off an ebook, it would be 30 miutes max. Although this could be a good thing, as it would allow me to think about the story and digest it but I would be worried about the condition of my eyes. Unless these machines/ebooks are getting more user friendly.
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:29:30 AM

Chimerical wrote:
I have noticed on Amazon that a kind of ebook has started. (I can't remember the actual product name. Kindle, maybe.) Anyway, if I was to read something off i screen I think it would reduce the amount I would be reading at once. I could probably sit down and read a book for a few hours while if I was reading off an ebook, it would be 30 miutes max. Although this could be a good thing, as it would allow me to think about the story and digest it but I would be worried about the condition of my eyes. Unless these machines/ebooks are getting more user friendly.

E-reader screens aren't like computer screens though, they're more like looking at an Etch A Sketch. I think they work in the same way in fact. I do think that e-readers need to have a lot more functions to really realise their potential. Once they can conect to the internet and download bonus content, they'll be great. You could suscribe to an old-style weekly serial and have each new chapter download to your reader every week, or a comic, or find you have new bonus material showing up for your favorite books every so often - author interviews, book group stuff, info on readings, the sky's the limit really. I just hope the publishers pick up on it. I will certainly be pushing to develop some things in tyhis direction.

S
CpVb006
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:43:44 AM

Just chiming in to say that I took the survey.

E-books are almost completely unfamiliar territory to me. I have had the opportunity to play around with the Amazon Kindle 2, and while I was actually pretty impressed with how readable the "e-ink" was (honestly, it looked almost identical to words printed on a page), I think the technology has a ways to go before I'd consider paying what they're asking for them. Right now they're black and white only (so, no pictures, no comics, etc.) and still have issues with the refresh rate. So, at currently, it sort of seems like a novelty to me.

But who knows what will happen in the future. I know some universities are considering making textbooks available in e-book form, which would reduce text book prices (which I still find completely insane and unbelievable. some books are probably worth $300, but they are probably old, signed editions of my favorite novels rather than ones about Microsoft office. ugh). I think that's a pretty cool idea, but I have no idea how long it will be until it's financially feasible and practical enough to be put into motion.

Plus there's this like Steven mentioned above, that could potentially push literature into some sort of next stage. I know some authors (Steven king comes to mind) had done things with novellas or short stories where a chapter a week or something is delivered every week. but again, like about, those examples aren't really the norm at all yet.

So, yeah. This ended up a lot longer than intended, but as a pretty avid reader, and one whose interests more often than not fall with authors looking towards the future of the medium, it's something I am excited about. I don't think the technology is there quite yet, but with the right minds writing material truly deserving of these creative distribution methods..I think it could definitely be in the cards.
Tim Stanton
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2009 11:14:21 PM

I just completed the survey and I share many of the same feelings as the previous posters on this issue. If it is a question of both/and rather than an either/or situation with printed books and ebooks, then I could be more open to the idea.
I have to admit, that while the convenience and portablity of having a book collection on an e-device is appealing, there is something about the weight, smell and tactile sensation of a new book in my hands that could never be replaced.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:43:27 PM

"James Patterson, the force behind a stream of No. 1 Times best-sellers, said that he enjoyed reading outdoors, where he had, he confided, a “wonderful back yard, nice pool, and all that.” Patterson was pleased to discover, while Kindling poolside, that the wind didn’t make the book’s pages flutter. “There’s just the one page,” he explained."

hehehe... Check out the rest of Nicholson Baker's very funny New York Times piece about the Kindle 2 is here and let me know what you think...

S

ps - Baker's books are fantasic if anyone hasn't come across them, esp. for footnote fans!

Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:25:33 AM

Here's the new version of this survey. If folks could take a few seconds to answer this one too, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

S
heartbreak
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:23:05 PM

Done.

To add a bit to question 13: I would watch adverts in order to view extra material, as long as the adverts aren't longer then the extra material. For example, if I have to sit through a three minute commercial to read a page of text, I would be a bit irritated and probably wouldn't go for more stuff.
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:38:56 PM

I have to say I sort of enjoy these surveys.
If you need any help with the new book, you know, you could always do a: "Read chapter one of Hula Hoop and complete this survey on the content" (you know, like a reading comp test) and send it our way....Hahhahahh!! No objections to that!
Anyway, once you've sifted though all these results and what-not, are you gong to tip us off as to what your plans may be featuring the 'e-book'?
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:43:38 AM

MiaVRO wrote:
I have to say I sort of enjoy these surveys.
If you need any help with the new book, you know, you could always do a: "Read chapter one of Hula Hoop and complete this survey on the content" (you know, like a reading comp test) and send it our way....Hahhahahh!! No objections to that!
Anyway, once you've sifted though all these results and what-not, are you gong to tip us off as to what your plans may be featuring the 'e-book'?

Hey Mia,

This isn't my survey, I'm afraid, I'm posting it up to help a friend out. Actually, if people reading this have places to re-post it, then that'd be brilliant too.

I do have some plans for e-books, but I'm sort of waiting for the technology to evolve a bit. I think there's something interesting to be done with mobile phones, but my brain is completely Hula Hoop at the moment, and I don't have the time to think properly about it!

Whatever gave you the idea that Hula Hoop has as old-fashioned as a 'chapter one'...? ;)

S

heartbreak
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:48:40 PM

Author, Cory Doctorow, claims despite giving away freely shareable ebooks for each of the books he has published, his books still sell multiple printings, skeptics are of course skeptical and so he is running a little experiment with his next book. Very interesting. Read about it here.
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:06:31 AM

heartbreak wrote:
Author, Cory Doctorow, claims despite giving away freely shareable ebooks for each of the books he has published, his books still sell multiple printings, skeptics are of course skeptical and so he is running a little experiment with his next book. Very interesting. Read about it here.

Interesting, thanks!

S
timlarsson
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:09:08 PM

I think many would buy a good book even if it was available as an e-book for free. There's this something with holding the actual book in your hands, and flipping the pages. smelling the ink... Radiohead did that with their "in rainbows" cd: insert some value in our paypal acount that you think the cd is worth, and you can download it (£0 even worked) and the physical copy even sold good i think.

e-things aren't that collectible, and they aren't usually worth their price. Sure, a lot of money might've gone into the production of that e-thing, but the buyer doesn't feel the value of a file on his or her computer.
Buying Mark z Danielewski's Only Revolutions Audio book for £42 to get a few MP3 files... no thanks... but if it was a cd, with a little paper box and some booklet perhaps, then it'd be well worth the money.

Also what Mia wrote: Proof reading / ARCs are welcome (to most of the users here i suppose).
nancyd589
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 3:19:46 AM

Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.