Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Doctor Who: A Death in the Family Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:07:10 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Got an email from the script editor saying he loves the Special Project 2 synopsis. He needs to run it past his boss “before commissioning anything as unusual as this”, but thinks there shouldn’t be a problem.

Waiting to hear back.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 3:02:09 PM

This is now under way. Oh yes.

Vworp.
Sophieness
Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2010 10:17:41 PM
Groups: Shoal

Bazinga to you, Mr Hall ^_^
timlarsson
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2010 11:59:54 AM

Something to do with Dr. Who I assume? ;)

Vworp vworp vworp
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:29:10 AM

The details for this are going to be released next week. So as soon as they are, I’ll paste them here for everyone to see.

S
benedict
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:55:54 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Huzzah!
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:01:28 PM

The secret's out!

This press release, published in this month's Doctor Who Magazine, lists three new Doctor Who radio plays coming this Autumn:

Project Destiny - by Cavan Scott and Mark Wright (September)

"The Seventh Doctor and Ace returning to earth after the shooting of Hex only to find London is not what it was." Stars Stephen Chance as Nimrod with Maggie O'Neil as Captain Lysandra Aristedes.

A Death in the Family - by Steven Hall (October)

Maggie Stables stars as Evelyn along with Ian Reddington as the Word Lord (last heard in the 7th Doctor/Ace/Hex audio Forty-Five).

Lurkers at Sunlight's Edge - by Marty Ross (November)

A horror story which takes place in the Artic Circle.

A Death in the Family is a play in four 25 minute episodes, staring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor and Sophie Aldred as Ace.

It's been a hugely rewarding and hugely exhausing side project, this one. It's eaten up almost every spare evening and weekend this year, but I'm so pleased with the end result. Hopefully the Doctor Who fans will be too. The story is embargoed for now so I can't say to much more, other than 'it's very me'.

I can say that working on this has been a great counterpoint to my ongoing work on Hula Hoop (which is, of course, my main, daytime project), and has freed my writing a lot. I suspect this will be the last thing I put out before the next novel comes along, which is an exciting thought in itself...

Folks are discussing the press release here and here

More nearer the time...

S

heartbreak
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 1:47:25 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

That's awesome Steven! Congratulations.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:33:04 PM

Yeah, top news mate will look out for this..

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:48:57 AM

Thanks guys.

You can now read more about all three stories here.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 12:48:13 PM

More information on my Doctor Who story has just been released in this month's Vortex Magazine:

“October sees the release of Doctor Who:A Death in the Family by Steven Hall, in which the two surviving members of the TARDIS crew come to terms with the tragic loss of their friend. And, amid all the drama, two familiar faces are back in their lives: Maggie Stables returns as Evelyn Smythe, while Ian Reddington brilliantly takes on the role of the villainous Word Lord. We’re quietly confident that this story is going to be very popular with fans!”

Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:04:00 AM

The synopsis, cover art and trailer for my Doctor Who play, A Death in the Family are now up on the Big Finish site

Here's the synopsis:

"The future folds into the past. The homeless hero has fallen. Now begins the time of three tales: The Tale of the Herald. The Tale of the Hidden Woman. The Tale of the Final Speaker. When the last tale is told, all the lights shall fail. The world will end."

21st century London: Nobody No One, the extra-dimensional Word Lord, is again running amok. Only this time, he's unbeatable – and a terrible tragedy is about to unfold.

It is written.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 1:39:33 PM

I've got to say, I'm delighted by the response to A Death in the Family!
It's been an honour to add to the mythology, and wonderful that folks have been so pleased with what I did with it.

here are some of the reviews:

Outpost Skaro

Mass Movement Magazine

Sci-Fi Online

Doctor Who Reviews

SF Crow's Nest

Hi-Ex!

Spill

Thanks guys!

Hope I get chance to add more to Doctor Who in some form some day....

BTW, If anyone has any questions, thoughts or comments about the story, do add them here and I'll reply if I can!

S

timlarsson
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:59:43 PM

As a Doctor Who "newbie", only been reading about the books / radio shows / tv-shows , and not anything from it all, where would be a good place to start? Could I just as well start with your play? or finding old VHS tapes somewhere to start "chronologically"?
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:28:47 PM

timlarsson wrote:
As a Doctor Who "newbie", only been reading about the books / radio shows / tv-shows , and not anything from it all, where would be a good place to start? Could I just as well start with your play? or finding old VHS tapes somewhere to start "chronologically"?

Hey Tim,

You don't need to start at the beginning! There's nearly 50 years of Doctor Who stories, you don't need to know them all.
I'd say that you should just have a quick look at the Wikipedia entry for the Doctor so you know who the main character is, but basically it goes like this:

The Doctor is a hero who travels through time and space in is time machine, which is called the TARDIS. The TARDIS is a bit unreliable, and doesn't usualy show up where it's supposed to. Instead, it usually it shows up somewhere where there is some sort of trouble going on, and the Doctor, along with the human companions who travel with him, get into various scraps and try to sort it out.

That's all you need to know, really!

I'd say that a good place to start would be with my one-part story The Word Lord - you can download it from the Big Finish website for only 99p!

Steven

timlarsson
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 9:27:45 PM

Thank you for the introduction! I went and bought it right away, but have yet to listen to it all, just listened for a few minutes to see what I was getting myself into ;)

I knew it had been running for a long time, but I always thought it had a linear / chronological plot, I mean, that you should read, listen, watch it all in order... Well well, It'll be interesting :)
timlarsson
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 10:50:17 AM

Wow! Listened to it on the bus today, and I liked it a lot! Really liked the concept of the Word Lord, and I hope for more stories with him, going to buy a death in the family soon!
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:24:28 PM

timlarsson wrote:
Wow! Listened to it on the bus today, and I liked it a lot! Really liked the concept of the Word Lord, and I hope for more stories with him, going to buy a death in the family soon!

Thanks Tim,

Hope you enjoy A Death in the Family. It was just voted #1 Doctor Who story of all time in any media by Doctor Who fans.
Very pleased!
S
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:08:42 PM

Top Doctor Who fact: A Death in the Family was meant to feature this song by Fonda 500. The band had given permission, but issues with Big Finish's Doctor Who license prevented it appearing.

Can anyone who's heard the play guess where it was meant to feature...?

S