Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Distance P.57, Cannongate "New Undexed Edition" ISBN 978 1 84767 0243 Options
I've lost the teapot
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 3:59:31 PM
Groups: Shoal

Good Afternoon,

I'm new here.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard of a novel called "Distance" by Colin Thubron. There are some close similarities to the Raw Shark Texts. I won't discuss the similarities in case it spoils either novel for others.

Regards,
I've lost the teapot.
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 2:19:41 PM

I haven't heard of it, but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it -- What sort of similarities? Please indulge...
I've lost the teapot
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:41:03 AM

...umm....

...all right...here goes...

Chapter 1, (PP.8-9 - in my edition) the first time we meet Dr. Randle and "Eric" discovers his condition and that:

"There's something very important you need to hear...your partner was killed....In Greece......accident at sea."

Then - perhaps Steven Hall is giving us a clue, but....

Dr. Randle ([?]or Steven Hall[?]) then asks,

"Does any of this sound familiar?"

"Well, yes - it does", I thought. I turned back to P.5, where "the man" realised he didn't know who he was, the fear, checked his wallet and regarded the man in the mirror: the "thin cheeks...tired, pale...sickly looking." The fact that the man in the reflection "was a stranger". Of course, such actions and unease would be natural for anyone who found themselves in a "dissociative condition", but "Edward" (the character in "Distance") has "the fantastic notion there will be no-one there at all" when he first encounters a mirror and finds himself regarding a "thin...ill-looking" man later. He encounters a very friendly cat in the first few pages. And the [from the <i>blurb</I> on the back of "Distance"] "traumatic event" which caused his memory loss......well......

...a <i>diving</i> accident.....

...umm...?

There is a very big "clue" (P.57, Chapter 6) - Steven Hall has even drawn a rectangle around it so we don't miss it - when Eric wakes from a vodka induced sleep and, "A movement unlocked [his] attention", and "There was something <i>distant</i>...in the <i>depths</i> of the white noise...thoughts <i>swimming<i/>..." (my italics: that is, I hope the HTML has worked) to see the word, "DisTance" on the television screen.....'the sea/swimming/deep' diction goes on....

I am in danger of sounding like one of those people who 'unravel' Beatles' lyrics and find 'clues' to Paul McCartney's Death, here...

Anyway.

I hope this is helpful. I have wondered - and still am - if this is all part of Steven Hall's 'games' or 'puzzles', and I have to admit that these days, I am starting to feel life is too short to engage in games-playing. Didn't stop me from continuing to read and enjoy "Raw Shark Texts", though; Steven Hall has created an interesting piece of work.

It's about fifteen years since I read "Distance", so I have done this from memory, mostly: I did a quick googlethingy and found the first couple of pages posted on a famous online bookseller's site to check my fifty-odd years old memory.

And I <i>still<i> have no idea what happened to Gavin. And Ian: I hope he isn't dead; I hope he's adopted someone who will love and care for him, and just let him <i>be<i/> in his catness.......
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 10:21:04 AM

Yeah bought it after you mentioned it, almost finished it has some similarities ie Edward Sanders/Eric Sanderson, memory loss and a old girlfriend, looking forward to the end.

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....