Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The ending (merged threads) Options
Slanderer
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:31:52 AM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 8
Well, I understand that the book is fairly new, but I'm surprised by the lack of discussion here. Personally, I'd like to hear what other people thought about the ending.
LeaBee
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2007 6:53:36 PM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 2
Location: In a basement
I know what you mean slanderer - although when I went to put everything onto the post, I realised I wasn't sure I could express it - I think Eric and Scout/Clio are now living in a purely conceptual world, but I have no idea how that works! :?:

Maybe I need a light bulb moment!
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:33:00 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 230
Quote:
Goodbye, Mr Tegmark


When I first read the article that they had found Eric Sanderson's body I had gotten the impression that they had actually found Mr. Nobody instead and thought it was Eric Sanderson. Later when asked why I thought that, I could not recall what reasons exactly. I need to re-read the book to better remember the details.

When flipping through the book the other night the above line really struck me as out of place. I couldn't remember any Mr Tegmark in the book, so I googled and came up with Max Tegmark. I wasn't able to find much of a link between the two. Tegmark works in astrophysics. I did find mention of string theory in one of his articles, and his name is often mentioned in articles that talked about string theory and other stuff. Right now I am theorizing that he is Mr Nobody, or at least he is the basis for Mr. Nobody. I have yet to find mention of him in London.
pandaaka
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:57:14 AM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 8
Location: UnLondon
That wikipedia article says that Tegmark has put forward the 'quantum suicide' thought experiment, and looking on his website, he has a mulitverse FAQ. He doesn't make it obvious whether he himself believes in a many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, but a MWI might allow for Eric to be found dead, but still be alive with Scout/Clio in some alternate reality. If Eric and Mr. Nobody really are the same person, (and Mr. Nobody says on p.144 "You don't know who I am do you? I'm you of course. We're the same dead not-person.") then maybe in one reality, when the Ludovician takes Mr. Nobody, it's Eric that dies, and in another, It's Mr Nobody himself that dies. How the postcard turns up, I don't know...

I thought an interesting part of the ending was the photo. When it became 'an underwater photograph of a brightly coloured fish', I interpreted that as indicating that Eric had had, for the first time, a memory from before the beginning of the book (presumably the photo is one that Clio took). It's right after this that Scout resurfaces from the water, as if Eric is able to conceptualise her again. Also, the place she resurfaces is about the same place that Clio died, somewhere off the coast of Paros. Paros is the island just to the West of Naxos, and when Scout resurfaces, they see the island (Naxos?) several miles away, which is where it would be if you were of the East coast off Paros.
Slanderer
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:49:05 PM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 8
wow, replies.

in case anyone missed it, the cancellation stamp on top of the postal stamp of the postcard is in Greek.

just mentioning it, not going anywhere with that idea.
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2007 4:21:36 AM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 230
Slanderer wrote:
wow, replies.

in case anyone missed it, the cancellation stamp on top of the postal stamp of the postcard is in Greek.

just mentioning it, not going anywhere with that idea.


Also in regards to the stamps...notice one is the negative of the other.
benedict
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2007 4:25:51 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 173
here is an interesting article written by mr. tegmark.
benedict
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 8:30:15 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 173
any ideas to who the couple in the picture at the end of the book are?
heartbreak
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 8:33:08 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 230
benedict wrote:
any ideas to who the couple in the picture at the end of the book are?


I believe it is a scene from Casablanca. It's been awhile since I watched it. Been thinking about trying to find it, maybe I will do that now.
benedict
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 8:42:20 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 173
heartbreak wrote:
benedict wrote:
any ideas to who the couple in the picture at the end of the book are?


I believe it is a scene from Casablanca. It's been awhile since I watched it. Been thinking about trying to find it, maybe I will do that now.


thanks! i believe you are right. i don't have the book with me now, but i think this is it.
heartbreak
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 8:46:38 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 230
benedict wrote:
heartbreak wrote:
benedict wrote:
any ideas to who the couple in the picture at the end of the book are?


I believe it is a scene from Casablanca. It's been awhile since I watched it. Been thinking about trying to find it, maybe I will do that now.


thanks! i believe you are right. i don't have the book with me now, but i think this is it.


Yup!! That's it! I couldn't find that still shot! Great work.
heartbreak
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 8:48:03 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 230
I find it interesting that it is the exact same size as the postcard and oriented in the same spot.... perhaps that is suppossed to be the picture side of the postcard.
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:39:19 AM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 230
heartbreak wrote:
Slanderer wrote:
wow, replies.

in case anyone missed it, the cancellation stamp on top of the postal stamp of the postcard is in Greek.

just mentioning it, not going anywhere with that idea.


Also in regards to the stamps...notice one is the negative of the other.


The picture on the stamp is Ariadne's Arch. (scroll down to --5)

Also note, --6 The Wall Paintings of Thera. I will try and find more info on that.
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:52:16 AM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 173
speaking of ariadne's arch (and negatives), it is mentioned on the rare transparant index negative i have. also, i have finally scanned the two (negative inserts) i have... and wanted to make sure that i can post them without violating any copyright laws, etc.
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:49:55 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 173
as promised.
pandaaka
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:26:15 PM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 8
Location: UnLondon
benedict wrote:
speaking of ariadne's arch (and negatives), it is mentioned on the rare transparant index negative i have. also, i have finally scanned the two (negative inserts) i have... and wanted to make sure that i can post them without violating any copyright laws, etc.


Hi Benedict, thanks for posting those negatives! So it's cool to post these things? I just got hold of the Canadian edition, which has negative 36/36 at the back. Not as cool as your transparent one :), but it'll be more readable to others. Also, think it'd be worth starting a negatives thread? The index seems to have quite a few references to the negatives, and Steven has said there are clues to what some of them are in the book.

Also, the Canadian edition has a description regarding the aquarium fragment inside the front cover, I'll post a scan of this as well if it's OK...
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:04:30 PM
Rank: Unspace Science Committee
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 173
pandaaka wrote:
benedict wrote:
speaking of ariadne's arch (and negatives), it is mentioned on the rare transparant index negative i have. also, i have finally scanned the two (negative inserts) i have... and wanted to make sure that i can post them without violating any copyright laws, etc.


Hi Benedict, thanks for posting those negatives! So it's cool to post these things? I just got hold of the Canadian edition, which has negative 36/36 at the back. Not as cool as your transparent one :), but it'll be more readable to others. Also, think it'd be worth starting a negatives thread? The index seems to have quite a few references to the negatives, and Steven has said there are clues to what some of them are in the book.

Also, the Canadian edition has a description regarding the aquarium fragment inside the front cover, I'll post a scan of this as well if it's OK...


no problem pandaaka. negative thread started. it would be cool if you could post your scans too. cheers.
iremonger
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:41:15 PM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 1
Just finished it today, feel sad now. Bring on the megalovician! When's the film due? Pray to god they get it right and don't bastardise the whole thing.
banana
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:55:14 PM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 2
I started the book probably with too many expectations. Struggled with the concept for a few chapters and then eased into it.

I started enjoying the book properly from the point where Mr Nobody turned up.

But.. :?

Didn't like the sharky pictures made of words, because they reminded me too much of all the ASCII art everyone was up to in the 80's (including me) and it reminded me of learning COBOL and other such horrors.

I felt like I had been building up to a crescendo of anxiety and then the Ludovician just turned into a big scary fish that just did Jawsy stuff.

I hated that film by the way - which didn't help.

I think I wanted the Ludovician to be more of an internal struggle with Eric's real fears of losing self becoming a rising horror.

But that side of things seemed to just fizzle out.

The ending was for me an 'Oh :? ' moment.

Too many loose ends. The Clio/Scout thing - I wanted that explained better.

A bit like buying furniture from IKEA - you have to put it together yourself. I like my fiction a bit more pre-finished.

But a very good read and I look forward to a film version. I think I might enjoy a film version better actually.

I hope the film version is as powerful as Johnnie Mnemonic which had a similar sort of feel, with things going wrong in the hero's head and a strong but flawed girlie sidekick and a major part played by an aquatic fin flipper.

Huge admiration for someone who can produce this quality of work though. I look forward to more. I read Heinlein's first published novel for grown ups and it was total cr*p compared with this in my opinion so the next books should be well worth reading.

No pressure or anything Steven :wink:

The puzzles and code stuff just pass me by I'm afraid - my brain is a Sudoku free zone and anything resembling IQ tests and such like leaves me cold.

I'm a pure story person and even tend to skip descriptive bits if they go on too long.

Out of 10 I give it 8.5 for making me want to keep turning the pages and find out what happens next.
amylola
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 12:16:07 AM
Rank: Fry
Groups: Shoal

Joined: 1/24/2009
Posts: 3
Location: los angeles
but what about the ending? do eric and clio/scout really exist and live in greece and sent a postcard to dr. randle? are they both dead and living in an alternate world? are they both alive as conceptual humans?

the ending of this reminds me (slightly) of Life of Pi. some people choose to believe the story with the tiger, and some believe the story with the humans. it becomes a test of faith and imagination.

i just finished reading this book and cannot yet put into words what i think about the ending, but i am hoping for more discussion here, so that other smart readers can help!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Website Maintained by Paul A.T. Wilson (Xplosiv Media)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.574 seconds.