Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading...RIGHT NOW? Options
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:31:56 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Is there anybody out there?

Wow, and the year is almost over too!

Anyway, managed to find a regular priced copy of Q.R. Markham's Assassin of Secrets at a local bookstore. So far it is actually quite good (but I don't really know which parts are his and which parts are plagiarized!!). All I can think of is "cut and paste", and "cut and paste"!!

Perhaps this will be the start of a new genre of literature... "mash-up" fiction!!??
timlarsson
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:56:26 AM

Groups: Shoal

I'm here looking for new posts all the time... I paused 1Q84.. right now reading Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus, mechanics and wave physics (exams... gah)
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:17:30 PM

Ditto but I never see anyone when I come on here, has everyone gone over to twitter?????

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:07:22 AM

Definitely not me!
I check in here every day. But I'm busy with school too, so I don't have much to say....
I sure am hoping things pick up, and Mr. Hall spices things up somehow!
Either way, I'm not going anywhere!!
heartbreak
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:25:43 PM

I generally check in every day as well. Currently reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I'm sure the forums will pick up again once Steven puts another book out, and although the wait is excruciating, as long as he's taking the time to make it excellent and not compromising on it, the wait is worth it.
jimmy007
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:47:03 PM

I am Twilight book reading right now. its famous book and its count in Top 5.

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:36:05 PM

Bram Stokkers Dracula on tablet, Lord of the Rings book1 on audiobook and still reading Jack K hardcopy...

Stef_Kennedy
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:55:36 PM

Christopher Paolini's 'Inheritance'
UNderstanding Concept
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:50:49 AM

Just started reading 1Q84. I am only a few chapters in but so fa rand I am impressed. I have not read any of Murakami's work before but if the the rest of this novel is as well written as the beginning then I i will definantly pursue more of his work.
heartbreak
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 3:31:37 PM

I'm reading 1Q84 as well. About 100 pages in. Intriguing story.
timlarsson
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:56:37 PM

UNderstanding Concept: If you think this one is good, you'll love his other works. So far 1Q84 is the weakest i've read yet (I'm halfway through the first book).

However, I've read The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa, read it in 3 days, and it was really good. Simple, light, and heart warming :)
Right now, I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (1910).... It's not smooth.. I'll say that.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:18:11 PM

quote=timlarsson]UNderstanding Concept: If you think this one is good, you'll love his other works. So far 1Q84 is the weakest i've read yet (I'm halfway through the first book).

Yes I agree, I have finished it and was disapointed.

I have just finished Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world, great book, got it, classic Murakami.
Just bought Angelmaker looking forward to this one when I have finished idiot abroad Karls diary.

MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 10:44:16 PM

I just started reading 1Q84 -- I'm going on a trip and I'm planning for this to be the only book I bring. So far, I'm disappointed with the writing style. I know the story will be well done, I am certain that I will be satisfied. Although, his brief, poetic style seems to be missing. I love Murakami for his ability to write as little as possible but give as much information and embellishment as one could ask for. He is usually very poetic and true and succinct. From what I have read of 1Q84 so far, his writing is drawn out and tiresome -- Not at all what usually attracts me in his novels. I wondered if it was a translator problem, but Philip Gabriel & Jay Rubin have translated a bunch of my favourite Murakami novels. Has he lost it? Is it because he needed to stretch for words/pages? Will it turn around? I'll find out.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:39:03 PM

Fell in Love with Aomame though, like Sumire from Sputnik Sweetheart.

timlarsson
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:33:44 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
I just started reading 1Q84 -- I'm going on a trip and I'm planning for this to be the only book I bring. So far, I'm disappointed with the writing style. I know the story will be well done, I am certain that I will be satisfied. Although, his brief, poetic style seems to be missing. I love Murakami for his ability to write as little as possible but give as much information and embellishment as one could ask for. He is usually very poetic and true and succinct. From what I have read of 1Q84 so far, his writing is drawn out and tiresome -- Not at all what usually attracts me in his novels. I wondered if it was a translator problem, but Philip Gabriel & Jay Rubin have translated a bunch of my favourite Murakami novels. Has he lost it? Is it because he needed to stretch for words/pages? Will it turn around? I'll find out.

Yes I think so too. The Murakami flow just isn't there, it's dragging... and it's probably not a translator issue, since it's the same here in Sweden. I thought the translator did a poor job, but if the English one also is like this, then I guess it's Murakami.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:22:36 PM

Started Angelmaker, looking good upto now.

heartbreak
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:39:06 PM

Conceptually yours... wrote:
Started Angelmaker, looking good upto now.

Just bought this one yesterday along with Zodiac by Neal Stephenson and Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore.
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:32:54 PM

Just got the two novels by Nick Harkaway too, and started reading There Is No Year by Blake Butler (recommended for those fans of House Of Leaves).
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:30:21 PM

Angelmaker done... Brilliant book may have to keep and read again, will defo be picking up his other book for my holiday reading.

benedict
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:19:32 PM

Conceptually yours... wrote:
Angelmaker done... Brilliant book may have to keep and read again, will defo be picking up his other book for my holiday reading.

Just finished his other one, The Gone-Away World, which was fantastic... Angelmaker next! (note: did not enjoy or recommend There Is No Year by Blake Butler)