Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading...RIGHT NOW? Options
Sophieness
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2008 1:14:37 PM
Groups: Shoal

If you like mathematical histories, try Jason Bardi's 'The Calculus Wars'. With Newton and Liebniz making the calculus breakthrough independently (and within ten years of each other) there was much debate at the time about who came up with the idea first.

Anyway, even though I don't know much about calculus beyond high school-level, this was wonderfully written and made for a very interesting read ^_^

NB: two of the greatest breakthroughs ever in art and academia were each thought of by two individuals, around the same time, but completely independently of the other creator. Calculus is one. Cubism (Picasso and Braque) is the other. ^_^ (i'm shameless, I know, but I paid a lot to do a degree I like but wil never use!)

(And) I'm currently reading Marilyn Manson's autobiography and Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. Good stuff, if not particularly uplifting.
fullmetal123321
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:25:21 AM

Sophieness wrote:
Re-reading House of Leaves.

I'm a glutton for philosophical/psychological punishment ^_^

that is the best book i have ever read. love that stuff.
Nebish
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:48:20 PM

Octavia Butler - Seed To Harvest
SEANC
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 10:29:28 AM

That gives me plenty to look into, just read '1984' really good wonder why I have not read it earlier?? now reading Red Men by M De Abaitua going well, will follow that up with Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow, then I think another read of TRST, then it might be time for LOTR again.
Ellimist
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 5:42:45 PM

McPheeze has influence all the way over here...

(he started the "...RIGHT NOW" fad)
arrangedinsly
Posted: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:51:58 AM

At the moment, I'm submersed in a few amazing books...

The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How To Quit School And Get a Real Life And Education by Grace Llewllyn is a fantastic book about taking charge of yourself. I've read a lot of reviews that say that it's the book that people with they had as teenagers. As a teen (I'm 18) I can say I thoroughly enjoy it now and wish I had it when I first started to feel like something wasn't right rather than spending years kicking myself for being wrong somehow.

Full-Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti is funny and motivational. It's an eye-opener and it really makes me feel like there's hope in the world if people can think like this.

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk... okay, I just started this one, but it is excellent. I am in love with Fight Club. I think it may be one of my all-time favourites, right up there with TRST. Nothing better than reading a good book.
jennifer
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:32:37 AM

I just finished Samedi The Deafness by Jesse Ball. I think this group in particular would love it!
jennifer
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:47:51 AM

heartbreak... have you read Incompleteness by Rebecca Goldstein? Quite good I thought.
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 1:40:02 AM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

jennifer wrote:
heartbreak... have you read Incompleteness by Rebecca Goldstein? Quite good I thought.

No I have not. Will have to look into it.

Currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson.

My fascination with math books is a bit strange. I've never really been a brilliant math student. In fact the other day I was trying to calculate how much money my girlfriend spends on gas in a year based off her odometer reading, and I completely forgot to factor in miles per gallon... How pathetic is that?
gesuhs12
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:33:48 AM

Funnilly enough I just finished Atlas Shrugged and I am starting The Fountainhead. I was really surprised at myself for not having read them earlier. Atlas Shrugged had my attention for all of my week vacation in South Carolina. I didn't leave the beach chair.
Broken_Drum
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:13:07 AM

The Castle by Franz Kafka and A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:19:28 PM

Wizards and Glass IV of the Dark Tower.
Hey Nostradamus by Doug Coupland
and I've gotten into the Marvel comic adaptation of The Stand. It's pretty sweet.
I also read Auster's Man in the Dark which was amazing.
Reading rock
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2009 4:51:30 PM

The Execution channel, anyone read the Cahullan army yet??

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:47:18 AM

I just finished Alan More's Watchmen like... three hours ago. Anyone else delve into that world?? Very psychological.
benedict
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:33:49 PM

it's great to see that the new site is up!

i just started reading china mieville's new novel, the city and the city. i also highly recommend perdido street station and the scar by him.

MiaVRO wrote:
I just finished Alan More's Watchmen like... three hours ago. Anyone else delve into that world?? Very psychological.

read watchmen quite a few years ago, but may have to re-read it in light of the upcoming movie. incidently, there is a character named rorschach in watchmen... check this out... mentions both raw shark and rorschach!
heartbreak
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:04:28 PM

Nice find there ben!
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:37:57 PM

Haha, i know. When i read that, i couldn't help but smile!
Broken_Drum
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 6:32:25 PM

Just finished The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster which I thoroughly enjoyed. On to Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami next, after that I'm going to try and tackle 2666 by Roberto Bolaño.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
heartbreak
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 11:18:28 PM

I've heard good things about Auster and keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to give 2666 a try.
Broken_Drum
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:42:19 AM

heartbreak wrote:
I've heard good things about Auster and keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to give 2666 a try.
TNYT was my first read of an Auster book but I'd recommend you give it a read if you ever get the chance; marvellous book. I think it'll be a while until I get around to reading 2666, I've heard great things about it but the sheer size is putting me off a bit. I think I'll wait until my exams are over to get around to it.