Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading...RIGHT NOW? Options
timlarsson
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 12:00:47 AM

Groups: Shoal

As of now, I am reading The Raw Shark Texts in Swedish (Read the English version of it around the time of the release).

No idea what I'll read after that.
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 8:48:14 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Sykes wrote:
Hey all,

I've just joined this lovely little community on the premise that it provides some semblance of 'furthering reading' on TRST.

I've just picked up Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler. Quite enjoying it thus far, especially after a wee Kafka binge.

Lot of Chuck P fans on the forum, I notice.

Hey Sykes, welcome to the forums!

I am back with Transmetropolitan.
So, so so good.

If you're a Chuck P fan yourself, try "Christie Malry's Own Double Entry" by BS Johnson, if you haven't already.
Fantastic, dark & funny book.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 8:52:32 AM

timlarsson wrote:
As of now, I am reading The Raw Shark Texts in Swedish (Read the English version of it around the time of the release).

No idea what I'll read after that.

Hi Tim, welcome!

How's the Swedish book?

S
timlarsson
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 9:32:43 AM

Steven Hall wrote:

Hi Tim, welcome!

How's the Swedish book?

S

Hi and thanks!

The Swedish book is really well translated, even with the shark 'written' with Swedish text (I did doubt that they'd do that).
I also think that the translator did a good job capturing the feeling of the English version.

I must say that the book looks fantastic as well, a black hardcover book, with the same dust jacket as the UK edition paperback. On the black spine, theres that review by toby litt written in gold: just like the limited edition UK hardcover.

*eventual spoiler for some who haven't read through ~70*
There's one thing that I noticed before; the shark in the TV, "DisTance", doesn't look as much like a fish in the swedish translation. But maybe that's just me... I've taken a picture which can be seen below:
http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~timla177/0%20PR/IMG_2581_small.jpg
Sykes
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:48:37 AM

Steven Hall wrote:

Hey Sykes, welcome to the forums!

I am back with Transmetropolitan.
So, so so good.

If you're a Chuck P fan yourself, try "Christie Malry's Own Double Entry" by BS Johnson, if you haven't already.
Fantastic, dark & funny book.

S

Nice title!

I was actually told to "get into" Transmetro by a lady at my library. She was processing a collection of essays on Philip K. Dick I was taking out and looked dumfounded when I told her I'd never "gotten into" it.

Winter is setting in on Australia, looks like I'll be hibernating.
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:22:21 PM

Wondering if anyone (Steven?) has read Paul Auster's The Red Notebook?
In particular, the last story, story 13? It's actually about an instance concerning City of Glass... what brought him to write it, why he's in it, and a little something that happened afterwards, concerning a random phone call for Quinn...

"...I learned that books are never finished, that it is possible for stories to go on writing themselves without the author."

Thought that was quite striking.
Sophieness
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:56:42 PM

Quote:

Benedict said:

just read the first 30 or so pages of wetlands by charlotte roche from here. has anyone else read or heard of this book? quite shocking...

I think Wetlands is a very important book because of the fact that it is shocking. NY Mag did a kind of round-table discussion of the book here. I think this is one book that you really have to have your own stance on.

I'm reading Crime and Punishment (inspired by the fact that I just saw a theatre production of it which was just brilliant!) and re-reading The Virgin Suicides - which I highly recommend. No-one writes such haunting, lyrical prose as Eugenides does here.
Broken_Drum
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 3:50:51 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
In particular, the last story, story 13? It's actually about an instance concerning City of Glass... what brought him to write it, why he's in it, and a little something that happened afterwards, concerning a random phone call for Quinn...

"...I learned that books are never finished, that it is possible for stories to go on writing themselves without the author."

I haven't read it but it does sound interesting, I think this may be the next of Auster's I read.

As for now it's The Book of Illusions by (yep) Paul Auster. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, quite the opposite in fact.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:49:16 PM

I just started reading Travels in the Scriptorium... about half way through, i realized that the novel was a culmination of all of his other novels! So, i stopped myself in my tracks. Now, i've got to read every other Auster novel there is to read, before i can continue!!
Broken_Drum
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 9:21:28 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
I just started reading Travels in the Scriptorium... about half way through, i realized that the novel was a culmination of all of his other novels! So, i stopped myself in my tracks. Now, i've got to read every other Auster novel there is to read, before i can continue!!
Haha. That title is also mentioned in The Book of Illusions as the name of a film one of the characters directs (another head-hurting tangent of meta-fiction, I know).

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:58:17 AM

MiaVRO wrote:

Hey Mia,

Yeah, it have. it's a great story, isn't it? I tried to write a story about that story (or a story about the story of that story?), but I couldn't quite get it to work.

Broken Drum wrote:
As for now it's The Book of Illusions by (yep) Paul Auster. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, quite the opposite in fact.

Who says The Book of Illusions is bad? I'm with you Mr Drum, I thought it was a great book.

Broken_Drum wrote:
MiaVRO wrote:
Haha. That title is also mentioned in The Book of Illusions as the name of a film one of the characters directs (another head-hurting tangent of meta-fiction, I know).

I do love the way he does this. The man's a genius.

S
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:09:46 AM

MiaVRO wrote:

Sorry Mia, I missed this!
Yes, i have read it. The story behind City of Glass is great isn't it? I love the way the way that City of Glass functions on so many different planes, everything from the completely fictional to the (we presume) completely true mix and merge in there. Part of the genius of that book is that the reader is offered the detective role in untangling it all (something I got from this book & tried to use myself). Books do indeed keep writing themselves, with each reader and now in online places like this too. You've got to love Mr A. He was/is so far ahead in all of this. I find everything that man thinks fascinating.

S
skitch929
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:21:25 AM

I actually just put down Moneyball by Michael Lewis to come over to my computer and check these forums like I do every day. Almost finished with it, I know it's a few years old now but for some reason I never got around to reading it when it was a "hot" item. Funnily enough I'm reading it because of TRST; not because anything in the story led me to baseball, but because I couldn't imagine myself dedicating full focus to another fiction book with so many thoughts and questions from TRST still brewing in my head. So while I'm still mulling things around, a little non-fiction is the way to go until I decide I'm ready to jump back into a narrative story again.

I did pick up Auster's Travels in the Scriptorium at the bookstore recently, but from reading these forums I see that I apparently need to read his other work first before I can jump into that one. Anyone know where I should start?
Steven Hall
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:18:30 AM

skitch929 wrote:
I actually just put down Moneyball by Michael Lewis to come over to my computer and check these forums like I do every day. Almost finished with it, I know it's a few years old now but for some reason I never got around to reading it when it was a "hot" item. Funnily enough I'm reading it because of TRST; not because anything in the story led me to baseball, but because I couldn't imagine myself dedicating full focus to another fiction book with so many thoughts and questions from TRST still brewing in my head. So while I'm still mulling things around, a little non-fiction is the way to go until I decide I'm ready to jump back into a narrative story again.

I did pick up Auster's Travels in the Scriptorium at the bookstore recently, but from reading these forums I see that I apparently need to read his other work first before I can jump into that one. Anyone know where I should start?

Hey Skitch, you should start at City of Glass. It's the first book in The New York Trilogy, but you can buy it on its own too, I think. For my money it's Auster's best. Be interested to hear what you make of it.

all best

S
arrangedinsly
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:21:06 PM

I'm reading... The Raw Shark Texts! I had to write a school essay last minute, and I thought "what book do I know well enough to pull this off?" It's 9 in the morning here, I've been up since yesterday morning, just trying to squeeze all my ideas out. I'm running out of steam :( But I will be done soon. I hope. Because it's due in about three hours.

Anyway, short answer is, I'm re-reading TRST.
NicholasRidiculous
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:55:47 AM

The Selected Works of T S Spivet by Reif Larsen
TinMan
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:25:25 AM

Some great books:
You Shall Know your Velocity by Dave Eggers
The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa
The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Just a few that I've read over the years. Really want to read Paul Auster now as he comes so highly recomended. I've just finished TRST and want to read it again!
arrangedinsly
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 9:20:14 AM

You know, it's funny. After reading TRST, I can't really think of any other "good" books or books I would recommend to fans. There is, of course, Fight Club... for some reason, that's the only thing that comes to mind.

I mentioned a couple days ago that I was re-reading TRST. I've also been really into short stories lately. Roald Dahl's stuff is amazing. I keep going back to his collection Skins.
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2009 1:14:55 AM

Half way through reading Kafka on the Shore.
Waiting for In the Country of Last Things to show up. Should be here by now :(
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2009 5:32:41 PM

Just about to finish The New York Trilogy, have just purchased the following :
The invention of solitude
The red notebook
The country of last things
True tails of America
Timbuktu
Moon palace
Brooklyn follies
Oracle night
collected prose
Double game
Book of illusions
And Travels in the Scriptorium
Lots of reading!!

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....