Groups: Shoal

Jealous!!!
Broken_Drum
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:12:47 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
Jealous!!!
Seconded.

I'm finishing off The Castle by Franz Kafka after leaving it half-read for so long. After that I've got If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino and Norwegian Wood by Murakami to start.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
NicholasRidiculous
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:33:41 PM

Liver - Will Self
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:44:36 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Conceptually yours... wrote:
Just about to finish The New York Trilogy, have just purchased the following :
The invention of solitude
The red notebook
The country of last things
True tails of America
Timbuktu
Moon palace
Brooklyn follies
Oracle night
collected prose
Double game
Book of illusions
And Travels in the Scriptorium
Lots of reading!!

Wow CY, that IS is a lot of reading!

I was thinking - do you guys think we should have a book club?
Broken_Drum
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:12:42 PM

Steven Hall wrote:
Conceptually yours... wrote:
Just about to finish The New York Trilogy, have just purchased the following :
The invention of solitude
The red notebook
The country of last things
True tails of America
Timbuktu
Moon palace
Brooklyn follies
Oracle night
collected prose
Double game
Book of illusions
And Travels in the Scriptorium
Lots of reading!!

Wow CY, that IS is a lot of reading!

I was thinking - do you guys think we should have a book club?

I'd be up for it, not sure about the worth of my contributions though plus I'm an awfully slow reader. Still, it sounds like a great idea.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:55:19 PM

Ditto I am also a slow reader, but would be well up for it (might even get me off Fallout 3 for a while and back into full time reading) definatley.

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
invisiblemonster
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:37:19 AM

Hello! I'm new. I just read The Raw Shark Texts about a month ago, and I decided to see what the author was up to now. Little did I know I would find this awesome site! Haha.

Anyway, I was browsing the forum and stumbled upon this thread, so I figured I would register and contribute!

Well. I'm currently reading Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey, one of my favorite authors. After that I have a whole stack of library books just waiting to be read:
How The Water Feels To The Fishes by Dave Eggers
The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, of course
The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan
Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
The Lazarus Project by Aleksander Hemon
The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst
Carry Me Down by M. J. Hyland

Yepyep. School gets out in a few days and I'm so excited to have time to read again!

Also, I think a book club would be awesome. :)

This story's old, but it goes on and on until we disappear. Calm me and let me taste the salt you breathed while you were underneath. I am the one who haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the sea. I spoke the words but never gave a thought to what they all could mean.
I know that this is what you want. A funeral keeps both of us apart. You know that you are not alone. I need you like water in my lungs.

timlarsson
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:12:43 PM

A book club could be fun, but I am a slow reader and have PILES of books to be read...
I finished reading the Swedish version about two weeks ago, and re-started on the Otherland series by Tad Williams. It's a great set of books, and very confusing in the beginning! It's 4 books (8 books in the swedish edition)... It's about internet, virtual reality and stuff like that in the near future, in africa somewhere and all around the world, conspiracies, murder, strange things.... and you'll follow many characters through the chapters...

I started reading when it was new in sweden, but was too young to appreciate it, so I stopped after a few chapters, then I started again, got a little longer but the jumping between storylines each chapter made me confused, so I stopped again. third time's the charm, so I started again, got trough the confusing start just to find a beautiful work, so after reading the first book of eight, I bought all other seven... got to the third book, and then got busy with school, and other stuff, so I stopped again, read a few other pieces in between.......
SO now: two years later! I start reading it AGAIN! from the start! and now I wont read ANYTHING else than that series until I'm done.

So my to read list is as follows:
* the last couple of chapters of Otherland I
* Otherland II -> VIII
* tales of the Otori, book 4 and 5
* Finishing Only Revolutions
* Absolute Sandman vol. 2 (comics)
* Nick Perumov - Diamond sword, wooden sword

yeah... I think that's that... :)
Steven Hall
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:19:38 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

I'm reading Hitman by Bret Hart.
I've never been interested in sport at all, but I've kept up with wrestling since I was a kid.
I've been addicted to the book for the past three days. Wow, that guy has lived a crazy life.

S
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:53:22 AM

Just finished Kafka on the Shore (geez, took me long enough)
i enjoyed reading this one. It's funny, for about two weeks, every day on my lunch/spare i would go to the same place, at the same time, and order the same large tea, and read three or four chapters of Kafka on the Shore. Now that it's over, i don't know what i'm gonig to do with my life! (Jokinnggg. school's almost over anyways)
Getting back to the book, though. I rreeallly liked reading this one. I was able to read it at face value, and, when i wasn't reading it, contemplate the deeper meanings of it. Which made it really great. The story was really entertaining (though tremendously bizzare), and is a real ride. The characters, too, are very real. Nakata... I really felt a connection with him. Mainly, because it was so easy to see him as a real person. The way he rubbed his hands through is salt-and-pepper hair.... just made him so real.
Murakami is a great writier, and i enjoyed him tremendously.
I also enjoyed After Dark. It wasn't as twisted, but equally philosophical, i'd say.

Next, on to Moon Palace!!!
Sophieness
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:23:31 PM

A friend lent me 'The End of Mr Y' and Murakami's 'A Wild Sheep Chase' - both of which I've devoured in the last 5 days! He hasn't read TRST tho, so I'm lending him one of mine (I have four copies in three formats, so if I get a crazy urge to re-read in the mean time, it's all good! yay!)

I would be really REALLY up for a book club - it would be great to see what's new and what should be discovered again ^_^ If I can recommend a book, maybe The Phantom Tollbooth? It's a children's book so it's not crazily dense, but it is amazingly clever. The main character goes on an adventure where throwaway comments on the weather have him 'jump to Conclusions', he gets stuck in The Doldrums, and meets half-a-boy who is the .58 of the average family with 2.58 children!

I'm thinking of trying to read David Foster Wallace's 'Infinite Jest' again. I tried a year ago and made it 120 pages in... Argh!
Broken_Drum
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 3:20:47 PM

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

benedict
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 3:48:35 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

the white tiger by aravind adiga
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 10:17:48 AM

Just back from Africa where I only managed1 and a half books?? read Oracle night, brilliant book and about halfway through Book of illusions which is looking to be better, on a different note I caught Watchmen on the flight back, how cool??? need more, where do I find paper version and where do I start??

MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 7:56:34 PM

I'm just finished Confessions of a Shopaholic.... and am on to the second one, ...Takes Manhattan... which i will finish today. I know, so shameful. I'm taking a sick day in bed, and, have got to read them before i watch the movie!! (I know, you're right, there are no excuses)

Oh! And i'm nearly finished If on a winter's night a traveller. So gggooooooood.

Also, i read The Pact by Jodi Picoult. (Wow, these girly books are sooo out of character for me, it's not even funny. And, they're so different it's almost hard to read)

And, i also picked up this book: The Book of God and Physics by Enrique Joven. I'm very interested, but am apprehensive about the writing. But, we'll see.

And, I need to get on to Moon Palace. That will happen sooner, rather than later, I promise!

p.s. Cy... Africa? Wow.
(p.p.s. i just discovered colour on the forums. Sorry for that)
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:01:45 PM

I can't stop.
I'm on to....
Shopaholic Ties the Knot.
Broken_Drum
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 4:43:25 PM

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino.

Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 5:50:28 PM

Have just bought V for Vendetta and League of extrordinary gentleman vol 1 & 2 graphic novels, My reading list is getting too long, I will have to read faster (or Mycroft myself lol...)

MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 6:59:56 PM

I thought that, compared to Watchmen, V for Vendetta was just OK. The style was really cool and everything, but, it was mediocre to me. Leage of Extraordinary Gentlement i couldn't even get through. I gave up after three quarters throught the first volume. I should try again...
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:38:32 PM

Have just finished The Book of illusions... wow.. how good?? I think I have Austerism. Moon Palace next I think.