Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading...RIGHT NOW? Options
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:42:13 PM

Groups: Shoal

I'm finding Moon Palace a lot harder to plow though than I anticipated. So far, it's been a struggle : (
tiny monsters
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:49:58 AM

I stayed up far later than intended reading this book (Raw Shark Texts) and it has caused me to come here and check out more books by people of the same taste.

So hey, I look forward to exchanging favourites and ideas with people who find the consciousness and reality interesting. (Personally thats why I'm loving the Raw shark texts) already written down some of the books talked about in here.

Right now I'm reading DMT: The Spiritual Molecule. Really dense but mind boggling so far.

I'm about half way through Generation X by Douglas Coupland, its hit and miss depending on my mood but it's losing steam for me (most of his books do for some reason).

Have also started on Batman's Arkham Asylum. I see there are Watchmen fans in the seas so check this one if you have not and like other graphic novels. It's a must!!

BTW, speaking of graphic novels, The Complete Persepolis is fantastic.
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:47:06 PM

I think i know what you mean with the Doug Coupland thing. I start off really excited about his novels, but in the end it almost becomes obligatory to finish them. Nevertheless, once i do, i don't regret it because as a whole, his books are great.

As for another great graphic novel, i'd have to say Pride of Baghdad. Really. Darn. Good.
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 2:01:02 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

A proof copy of Invisible by Paul Auster... :)

S
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 2:11:04 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

Steven Hall wrote:

S

Lucky bastard. ;)

I'm currently reading The 351 Books of Irma Arcuri by David Bajo.
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 3:35:30 PM

heartbreak wrote:
Steven Hall wrote:

S

Lucky bastard. ;)

Ditto :P
MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 8:49:05 PM

I finished I Am Legend about a week ago. I liked it a lot. I had no idea how long ago it was written! Pretty revolutionary, I'd say! I then watched the movie. It was stupid. Well, i mean, after reading the book, it was pretty senseless.
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:34:47 AM

I Am Legend is a great book.

The sad thing is, when you watch the film, you can really tell that the screenplay they filmed is a reworking of an earlier, better, more faithful draft. I remember reading that the earlier script had been knocking around for years, every so often it was voted 'best unproduced screenplay' in some list or other.

Naturally then, when they came to make the film, they rewrote it.
And made it rubbish.

I often think writing scripts for Hollywood must be a soul-destroying task.

S
CpVb006
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:07:30 AM

So far, this is what's in the big pile of summer reading (my own, of course) that I have sitting on my desk:

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Sewer, Gas & Electric by Matt Ruff (was given this from Canongate a few years ago as part of the TRST contest)
IT by Steven King
The Shining by Stephen King
The Terrible, Horrible Temp-To-Perm Debacle by Bob Powers (Book Two in the Just Make a Choice! series. Infinitely recommended.)
The Dark Tower I-IV by Stephen King (currently reading The Wolves of the Calla)

A lot of this reading got underway when I was stuck at home for a week or whatever after getting my wisdom teeth out. It sort of got me excited about reading again. I don't know what is up with the ongoing Stephen King binge, but if it means I'm finally going to finish off the Dark Tower after owning all the books for years and years, that's cool with me. Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying them or something. The man can write as far as I'm concerned.
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:16:08 PM

CpVb006 wrote:

The Dark Tower I-IV by Stephen King (currently reading The Wolves of the Calla)

A lot of this reading got underway when I was stuck at home for a week or whatever after getting my wisdom teeth out. It sort of got me excited about reading again. I don't know what is up with the ongoing Stephen King binge, but if it means I'm finally going to finish off the Dark Tower after owning all the books for years and years, that's cool with me. Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying them or something. The man can write as far as I'm concerned.

That's funny! Last summer, I bought every Stephen King novel I could wrap my hands around. And now, I've lost interest! I can't get past the fourth Dark Tower book. I'm just finding it impossible! I started the series near the end of last summer and gave it a rest during the school year, so I think the time-gap has put me off it. And every time i pick it up, i just snooze! I'm desperate to get through it, though. Have you read Four Past Midnight? His novella the Langoliers was sooo amazing, in 250 pages it stirred in me every emotion possible. He is a genius. I think my favourite parts of his book, though, are his introductions. If there was a collection of only Stephen King introductions, i'd buy it in a second!
benedict
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:05:57 PM

Just started reading The Unfortunates by B.S. Johnson.

It's a book in a box, each of the 27 chapters are separate from one another, and you can read them in any order you like (with exception to the First and Last chapters). Quite an ingenious concept... never seen or read anything quite like that before!
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:40:37 PM

Been reading The Wind up bird Chronicle for what seems ages now, aarrgghhh! why can't I put this down, I don't understand its appeal but I can't let go.
On a different note I cannot seem to find a copy of Cobralingus for less than £75!!! even the librarys haven't got copy's anymore...

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 8:20:29 PM

Right now i'm reading Batman:The Dark Knight Returns. Which will lead to me reading Batman: Year One.
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:07:50 AM

Well, since i finished those two, i think i might look into reading Fables. That looks like an interesting series.
the_cursor
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:24:55 AM

Currently I'm reading nothing.
Why?
I need something new to read. Help!
I require something fiction, cerebral, a little weird and dark (but not 'goofy' weird, or 'goth' dark).

TRST fit my bill perfectly. I don't read much because i'm picky but also because I'm really unsure what i'd like despite whatever large collection of wonderful items exist.

I tried the graphic novel route for something different, and after parting the sea of spandex and superheros and really badly done "hey if you're INDIE enough, buy me!" garbage.. I fell in love with mnemovore. But, it was super short.

So, I'm open to whatever. Preferably novels but anything is fine.
MiaVRO
Posted: Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:26:38 PM

the graphic novel series Fables is absolutely AMAZING. If you haven't heard of it, it's about fairly tale characters who are exiled in New York City, and around the world. I highly highly recommend it. I've been addicted to it for the last two weeks. As soon as i can get it in, i'm going to start reading the spin off series Jack of Fables.
Right now, i'm reading a book called the Broken Teaglass by Emily Arsenault. It's about lexicographers. Interesting stuff. As the cover says, "novel: there's more than one way to define a mystery"
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:50:54 PM

MiaVRO wrote:
the graphic novel series Fables is absolutely AMAZING. If you haven't heard of it, it's about fairly tale characters who are exiled in New York City, and around the world. I highly highly recommend it. I've been addicted to it for the last two weeks. "

Hey Mia,

I'm reading Fables too!

S
timlarsson
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:23:39 PM

I'm still reading the Otherland Series pt 3 of 4 by Tad Williams... I like it...
heartbreak
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:43:03 AM

Otherland is a long haul. Great series though.
chrisps
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:23:32 AM

gesuhs12 wrote:
rereading TRST...again. this'll be my 4th time...
[quote]

i can take a guess as to why you have probably read it 4 times - trying to find answers to questions that are not answered.

has anyone read a fraction of the whole by steve toltz?