Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading...RIGHT NOW? Options
timlarsson
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:12:14 AM

Groups: Shoal

heartbreak wrote:
Otherland is a long haul. Great series though.

Yes I agree.
Sometimes I want to get faster forward, since the story is very straightforward at times, and it's such a long series. (It's divided into 8 books in Sweden, and I'm on the 5th).

Actually, it's the second time I'm at the 5th book, I stopped reading there last time, because I wanted to read house of leaves, then tales of the otori, then raw shark texts, then something else... Then i forgot about the story of otherland, so I decided to start all over, and now I'm back where i ended last time!
(I get a LOT more details this time though!)

and chrisps: stop that trolling please, it's just immature. It's okay if you don't like the book. It's okay to start a thread about your questions and thinking that the answers aren't there. but you don't have to go into every thread posting the same message.
CpVb006
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:11:07 PM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

MiaVRO wrote:
That's funny! Last summer, I bought every Stephen King novel I could wrap my hands around. And now, I've lost interest! I can't get past the fourth Dark Tower book. I'm just finding it impossible! I started the series near the end of last summer and gave it a rest during the school year, so I think the time-gap has put me off it. And every time i pick it up, i just snooze! I'm desperate to get through it, though. Have you read Four Past Midnight? His novella the Langoliers was sooo amazing, in 250 pages it stirred in me every emotion possible. He is a genius. I think my favourite parts of his book, though, are his introductions. If there was a collection of only Stephen King introductions, i'd buy it in a second!

I have not. my Stephen King experience is limited, pretty much, to the Dark Tower (which I've since finished), The Shining, and IT. I know this post is basically the opposite of timely and that you've probably finished or given up on Dark Tower by now, but-- people seem to be very divided on Wizard and Glass. Mostly because there's not much there to advance the gang's story. I, like everyone else, was pretty skeptical of a huge, book-long, flashback, but I think it might be some of the best storytelling the series has to offer.

As far as what I am reading RIGHT NOW?: nothing. I have sort of been wanting to do some rereading of some MZD stuff, though. I try to do an annual Hallowe'en reading of The Fifty Year Sword (partly to justify the price I paid for it, partly because it's pretty to look at, and partly because it's something you definitely get more out of each time) but didn't get around to it this year. It only takes about an hour, so I don't really have an excuse. Similarly, House of Leaves has sort of been calling to me and I've been flipping through it before bed sometimes, reading passages here and there rather reading it as a novel proper.

I feel like he's about due to put something new out, sort of. Even some sort of cryptic hint (taking a page out of Steven's book) would be enough to help satiate people like me a little bit.

Conceptually yours...
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:11:11 PM

What did people think of Austers in the country of last things?? started it on Monday but have'nt got far in, (possibly because I went straight into it from Leviathan).

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
Steven Hall
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:40:07 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Conceptually yours... wrote:
What did people think of Austers in the country of last things?? started it on Monday but have'nt got far in, (possibly because I went straight into it from Leviathan).

Hey CY,

I like Country of Last Things a lot, but I came to it after The New York Trilogy, so I do know what you mean. There’s a bump – not in quality so much, but in Auster-ness. I think Auster wrote most of Last Things before the trilogy, so technically it’s his earliest novel, which makes sense.

I’m back to reading Invisible – I put it aside when I went away last and came back reading something else – not too far in yet, but the reports I’m hearing say it’s up there with his very best stuff.

Speaking of Paul Auster, check out this edition of The New York Trilogy. There's some nice info on how Faber came to publish it in the 'behind the book' tab.

S

MiaVRO
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 1:30:03 AM

I know I mentioned this before, but I LOVED In the Country of Last Things. I thought everything about it was just done perfectly. I bought my copy of Invisible last week, and started reading it, but figured I should get some more Auster down before I finish his latest. Whenever I look at my shelf of Auster I feel guilty, because I set that goal to read all of it in order, but I can't get through one page of Moon Palace without being totally bored! (like I said, I feel guilt...)

and to CpVb006 - I'm surprised with myself because I loved Gunslinger mainly for its flashbacks, so I was psyched to start Wizard and Glass. Unfortunately, I still can't make my way though it. I think I might start the series over and pump myself up. That's the plan. Have you read any of the graphic novel?
Broken_Drum
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:24:38 AM

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Wow.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 3:02:32 PM

Broken_Drum wrote:

I've heard good things about this book, it sounds like you enjoyed it?? is it good??

Broken_Drum
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:24:22 PM

Conceptually yours... wrote:
Broken_Drum wrote:

I've heard good things about this book, it sounds like you enjoyed it?? is it good??

I'd been putting it off for a while but I enjoyed it greatly, McCarthy's prose is just fantastic.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
Mr. Somebody
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:47:28 PM

Just got finished with The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliot. Absolutely hilarious!
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:38:10 AM

I've only got a few pages to go until I'm finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm at the point in the book where I don't want it to be finished, so I'm stalling as much as I can, even though I want to know the outcome. Now that's when you know you're reading a good book!
wmorris99
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:39:29 PM

Just finished the Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. Don't normally read crime books but they're masterfully written and avoid the tropes and cliches of crime fiction. Actually, they're so well set in the worlds of the characters and so far reaching within the contemporary Swedish world that they inhabit that they almost defy genre categorisation. Just very, very good writing and are recommended without hesitation. Most immersive series of books since Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

Re-reading TRST, Auster is on the shelf, and William Gibson's 'Spook Country' is also lined up. Also reading some top-notch graphic novels, i.e. complete "Queen and Country" by Greg Rucka et al which can also be highly recommended.

Thanks for all your suggestions all, a lot of things I never heard of, so some nice eye-openers :)
Stef_Kennedy
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:39:51 AM

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafrón - about 100 pages in - it's excellent!
MiaVRO
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:05:44 AM

finished A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:10:03 AM

Just finished Kafka on the shore, brilliant!! Have now started the Iliad...

benedict
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 2:37:33 PM

Just finished Beat The Reaper by Josh Bazell. Loads of fun... SHARKS involved... crazy unforgettable ending!!
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:31:45 PM

Just about to finish the Iliad, just bought Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Ryan, anyone read it??

jimmy007
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:09:42 AM

I am going to read Shakespeare's famous novel Hemlet

Posted: Friday, March 5, 2010 12:24:43 AM

I soooo wish I was done with Otherland by now, but I'm stuck at book 7 (of 8) due to school and tiredness...

I want to move on, read and discover new things... Thinking of picking up the new york trilogy, only from your recommendations.. I don't even know what to expect when reading it!
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, March 5, 2010 12:30:22 AM

timlarsson wrote:
I soooo wish I was done with Otherland by now, but I'm stuck at book 7 (of 8) due to school and tiredness...

I want to move on, read and discover new things... Thinking of picking up the new york trilogy, only from your recommendations.. I don't even know what to expect when reading it!

Almost there. You can make it!

I've read a third of The New York Trilogy. Someday I'll go back and finish it.

Currently reading 2666.
jimmy007
Posted: Friday, March 5, 2010 5:52:02 AM

I am not interested in reading every time. It depends only on my mood.